When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A glance at my first project

jpz5142

I thought that I would give you guys a glimpse at what I spent some time working on this weekend. I have been sourceing parts and a few have come in so I was able to "dry fit" some of them together to get a feel of how it will look. Just a little tease...

post-37023-0-54561300-1366720290_thumb.j

I have been wanting a white faced sub for a while after seeing someone post a pic of their sub in negative.  After thinking about it for quite some time I got up the courage to build one myself.  I started by reading as much about putting together a sub build on this forum as I could.  I decided to start with a 16800 case and go for that era of a fantasy build.  I like the look of lug holes and wanted a saphire crystal. 

After spending two and a half hours doing this:

post-37023-0-43176800-1366720464_thumb.j

I was able to get the dial to fit.I still have some parts yet to arrive so I am doing this as I have the parts and time.  Mostly a project for myself but thought that I would share.

post-37023-0-76124900-1366720541_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

whitefacesub_zps2e3772da.jpg

This is my first replica from back in 2006- a white faced sub. The hour markers are a tad too big. The case wasn't that good, one of the old R863693 CN cases. I finally took the old 2836-1 movement and put it in another watch after having it serviced. I still have the dial, I've thought about having it relumed, but haven't done anything with it yet.

I bought that watch from a place called Replica Factory. Paid too much for it , but it was my first rep before I found these forums.

It wasn't long after that that I found the Replica Collector and the Trusted dealers and got serious about reps.

Total fantasy, I eventually want to see about having the explorer text removed from the dial.

Right now I need to look at fixing some other issues, I'm not happy with how the movement ring/dial/movement tabs interact. Need to get after it with a file and see about bending the tab so it sits better.

Thanks for the comments guys.

I don't know of its bravery or ignorance... Probably a bit of both, I've scratched the dial up pretty bad so I'm going to need to give it a touch of clear coat to cover that up. Right now it's just a matter of plowing through it because I really want to wear that watch!