When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Building a Minh Big Crown

Nanuq

Gents, I'm considering going gonzo and building a Big Crown from a Minh case.  Problem is, if I use a 1030 movement then I'll never USE  the thing the way I want to.  I'll baby it and that's not my cup of tea.

So I'm considering sacrilege:  A Minh case, top notch dial and hands, and an ETA movement.  :o

I know, I know.... it's a cardinal sin.   :nono:   Tough. 

My question, can it be done?  Is there a low beat ETA movement and ring with approximately the same dimensions as a genuine 1030 movement?

Thanks gents!  :hi:

Anything is possible, depending how much work you are into.

My only concern is squeezing a non-1030 movement in that case and getting the stem height right. The rest? Cakewalk.

Can't wait to see this B, I'm currently having a 1655 lovingly created by Mr Bonesy up in Nessie Country using a Gen spec ingod case and Yuki conversion ring for the 2846(with GMT mods) movement. Deliberated with a Gen 1575 but after the crap I've had with the 1030 in my 6538 build I've gone the cheaper eta route. And yes the 6538 is still in pieces on my watchmakers desk :fool:

Hey B, The ingod case is designed to take the Gen 1570, but with Yuki's eta conversion ring the 2846  fits straight in there. It also positions the stem in the right place.

B, if you can give me the diameter of your 1030 movement I'll ask Bonsey to measure the eta ring to see if it will fit it. The MQ 6538 case may prove to be a whole  different issue altogether but as Fred said you should be able to get it to fit with some Gentle persuasion, Dremmel and Hammer at the ready!!!

I believe that's a good trade off. The 1030's are getting so long in the tooth, I just don't think they will stand up to hard everyday use. And knowing you, you ain't gonna build no little sissy safe queen that's afraid to go out and play in the snow!! I believe that with a good service, the 2846's will work just fine. I have one in my 1680, my 6542 and had one in my DRSD until Ziggy replaced it with a 1575. I think they are pretty good movements.

"I believe that's a good trade off. The 1030's are getting so long in the tooth, I just don't think they will stand up to hard everyday use."

+1

A 1520 or 1570/75 is still Ok for general use but the 1030 is over the hill imho.

General use = everyday wear but no crash/bang activities. The 1570 is really not very rugged because of the ruby winding rotor jewels etc and balance staffs are fairly easy to break like all mechanical watches. I have four apart right now, one for a balance staff, one for a winding rotor axle, and two for general c/o. In reality they are 'lookers and talkers', not 'tuff guys'.  :black_eye:

I believe the swisseta 2824/36/46 etc are The Project Kings for practicality.  :thumbs:   

Your right Automatico,

I bought a Gen 1030 from a very reputable 'shall not be named' Vintage rolex dealer who confirmed that the 1030 was in beautiful condition and all ready for my 6538 project. In reality the movement was shot. I've ploughed the best part of £350.00 into replacement parts just to get the bugger running and now feel a bit negative about the whole build. i had exactly the same situation with a 1575 Gen movement that was used for a 1655 build i did a few years ago. Bottom line, is in my opinion don't  waste your money on these grail Vintage builds unless you want to put them in a safe and polish them. 1570 possibly excluded.

Nanuq has recently raised a really interesting 'pause for thought' post relating to building an externally perfect 6538 but using an eta movement, Well I'm going the same way. The Yuki eta adapter ring is now on order and the problematic 1030 will be on Ebay next week. I'll end up with a reliable watch that i'm not constantly panicking about with regards to getting it wet or bagging it. THE PENNY HAS FINALLY DROPPED!!!!!!

DH

Granted, a used/unserviced or poorly maintained 1030 is not going to prove reliable for daily or any other use. However, once properly overhauled, there is no reason it (or any subsequent Rolex caliber) cannot be relied on for daily use. That said, I would never wear a mechanical watch for activities where it might be exposed to bumps, bangs or fast acceleration/deceleration. That is the purview of solid state digital devices.

I guess its more to do with the economies of keeping the movements in these watches going long term. From my experience of the 1030, all of the parts i needed were thankfully still out there, but for how long? in other words when do you decided to put the watch in the box for fear of breaking an un-repairable treasured possession and strap the Seiko diver on?