When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Phong 6538

cc33

I finally got my 6538 guts swapped over from the Minh case to its new home in a phong case. I added a gen crown while I was at it and managed to find an original, not a nos one. I had an original bezel already on it so the crown is a nice touch. Ill save the nos crown I have to pair with the nos bezel I acquired recently for my next build. I was mad at Minh for a personal issue when I ordered the phong case and to be honest I was doing it out of spite, however I do now realize that the minh case was kind of special in that it had a very natural, used, gen feel to it, like it had been worn and polished over many years, the bevels were barely visible and that's pretty gen like! I'm using the past tense because its gone now, off to a great guy for his build. I am very happy with phong's case and I know that it will eventually get a nice aged look after I wear it and have it polished over the next bunch of years. I am a fan of a nicely beveled case though.

post-38788-0-24200700-1367880016_thumb.j

post-38788-0-93029400-1367880038_thumb.j

post-38788-0-05517700-1367880081_thumb.j

Thanks everyone! E, the Minh case is sold, I'm sorry.

"The gen crown looks soo amazing."

Thanks praetor, phong offered it to me for 400$, I had paid 800$ for my nos one, so I jumped on it. I guess he didn't realize that it was worth more. I verified its authenticity when I got it and low and behold it really is an original gen. Here's a better angle

post-38788-0-53536900-1367901201_thumb.j

Hoooooooooly smokes.  I'm (finally) home for the night using a real computer so I can see the pictures, and ..... wow.  Just...... wow.

WOW.  :notworthy:

That thing is amazing.  Yeah you got a $1,000 crown there buddy.  And my eyes spy 3 colors to the 4-line text.  Dang that's a nice dial.

I can only dream that some day I'll put together a build nice enough to carry this one's luggage!

Great 6538 :good:  Never cease to be amazed by cc3's passion and his marvellous collection.

Here is my humble phong "Bond" - qc pic and lousy iphone snaps. The stock T<25 dial has since been replaced by one kindly custom made by Mr Phong. Since I live in Hong Kong, actually get to meet and have lunch with him in person at Shenzhen, China, when he travelled to this part of the world to participate in a trade fair. All stock Phong items (case, bezel, crystal, dial, hands) except the NOS "Brevet" crown. I supplied the calibre 1030 movement which I purchased from a Canadian collector.

Now if I may seek advice from you knowledgeable 6538 collectors: having the movement cleaned and regulated by both Mr Phong and my local tech in HK, and assured by both that the movement is in good condition given its 50 years+ vintage, the watch manages to  keep time at about -10 to 15 sec per day (quite acceptable to me), but the power reserve is just 26 hrs to 28 hrs, and the autowinding seems to be non-effective so that I practically need to wind it every day. As suggested by Mr Phong, I replaced the original mainspring with a CLARK one with no discernable improvement. Any idea what went wrong, fellow "Bond Watch" enthusiasts?

4015327884d78c2b.jpg4015328038cfef83.jpg

40153279a76a8c62.jpg

Edited by auxair

Very nice indeed! It looks great. I don't know anything about the inner workings of the movement but I'm sure those that do will chime in soon. I want to congratulate you on a very fine piece sir and offer a tiny bit of advice if I may. Get rid of that insert. Not many people know this but all 1680 5512 and 5513 inserts fit on a 6538. Only one time I had to sand away the outer edge of one that was just too new but the other used 3-4 of them I have snapped right in and fit like a glove. The nice fat font ones come up for sale daily on vrf and some can be had for a fair price. Way cheaper than a gen 6538 insert that's for sure and nicer than a rep one obv. Aside from that its awesome. Last tiny thing would be to get Michael young cwp hands because they are more gen like, the hands should look gilt not gold, phong's are too shiny and look like gold hands. MY has the gilt thing down pat

These are all 1680, 5512, or 5513 inserts except the bottom right is phong's

post-38788-0-72756900-1367938855_thumb.j

cc33, you are so kind! My humble piece is nothing compared to your impressive collection! You see I am a Bond fan more than a watch enthuisast so unless I am as loaded as you that I am able to get a genuine 6200 style bezel to preserve that "Connery" look, the bezel has to stay for the time being :notworthy:   

Yes, my next move will be the replacement of the shiny hands with Michael Young "gilt and aged" ones. He just branched out and opened a vintage watch repair shop in Tsimshatusi, HK, so he is just a taxi trip or phone call away. 

How is your new watch in terms of accuracy and power reserve, just out of curiousity. Any need for daily winding or the butterfly rotor is functioning perfectly? 

Edited by auxair

I didn't mean the bezel just the insert, phong's bezel is amazing. I'm so glad to hear that Michael is doing well, that's exciting for him as he's really gaining popularity in the gen world for his band and watch restorations. Those hands will be awesome. I don't know about the power reserve really but it is always running the next morning. I will check one of these days how long it lasts and report back. The rotor seems fine on mine.

Oh and very accurate but again I haven't checked on a machine. It's always right on with my iPhone's time.