When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Who's going to notice, really?

RBT1680

im confused what did i say.i just commented that i had my bracelet resised at my local shop

Taking our reps into an AD for the same brand your wearing isn't recommended mate  ;) like Andy has said read the forum rules  :)

i read the rules ,i took my watch to my locsl watch shop thst sell all brands of watches including rolex.i had no choice to take it there because it was the nearest shop.sorry if that was wrong.i couldn't unscrew the braclet myself because the screws were locked .i wont do that again then,is it illegal or something ?i live in England

Edited by live1

My wallet regrets ever discovering this hobby! I came learning how not to get fooled as I was buying a gen from an AD - yes, I'm paranoid!!! I bought it but the thought of buying an "identical" piece, at least from the outside, consumed me.

In the end, as others have said, "you know" not others. Although people may notice your watch, the will have no idea. And to be honest, unless its a real shitty rep, at a glance, it's tough to be called out. You have to remember that we spend our days looking at super macro shots an hi-res screens, zoom in, zoom out, open a different window and compare. At the office, at the park, wherever, how often will you say, "Nice watc, do you mind if I take a look at it?"

This never happened to me. You comment but never handle the watch. If I'm not happy with a flaw, I fix the flaw change the watch.

Enjoy it for yourself! There is no greater pleasure than being in the car, on the beach, anywhere for that matter and glancing at your wrist wearing a piece you truly love. Once you spot a flaw, you won't be smiling and the person next to you won't know the difference.

Agreed   ;)  there's not been many times this year that I've been asked about my wrist wear!  My missus reckons I've become obsessed with watches.........I called her 'Pam' the other night  :partytime:

My wallet regrets ever discovering this hobby! I came learning how not to get fooled as I was buying a gen from an AD - yes, I'm paranoid!!! I bought it but the thought of buying an "identical" piece, at least from the outside, consumed me.

In the end, as others have said, "you know" not others. Although people may notice your watch, the will have no idea. And to be honest, unless its a real shitty rep, at a glance, it's tough to be called out. You have to remember that we spend our days looking at super macro shots an hi-res screens, zoom in, zoom out, open a different window and compare. At the office, at the park, wherever, how often will you say, "Nice watc, do you mind if I take a look at it?"

This never happened to me. You comment but never handle the watch. If I'm not happy with a flaw, I fix the flaw change the watch.

Enjoy it for yourself! There is no greater pleasure than being in the car, on the beach, anywhere for that matter and glancing at your wrist wearing a piece you truly love. Once you spot a flaw, you won't be smiling and the person next to you won't know the difference.

Could not have been said better. I have just joined this community and the rep game and I am becoming more and more fascinated with the engineering behind making watches, both rep and gen. I have friends who own multiple gens and are not true watch lovers, they love the status symbol but have no idea about the history or functionality behind the tens of thousands of dollars on their wrists. 

I joined the forum looking for the best sub, like half the people here, and within the past few weeks I've become intrigued with types of factories, types of movements, choices of materials, or if I should source a gen LV bezel for my soon to be ordered TC sub, or will a clark insert do me fine? :g:

I really became in love with watches, its like i stepped into a new world and watches are no longer just tools but pieces of art and expression  :) 

• Like 1

Hello my name is Jonathan and I am a Watch-a-Holic...

Seriously though the quest to build a great Franken is as much the story to build one as it is the "peace of mind". This is a fun hobby where perfectionists strive to build the best. As someone said earlier 95% of the people on the streets will not be able to see the "rep defects" we obsesse over, lol. We are more critical of ourselves then anyone we may encounter.

So whose logging to notice? You will. Build/buy what you can afford and live with! Viva la reps lol

To the OP, the first piece of advice  I would give to you if you have any, even the slightest inkling of ever trying to make your watch better (franken),  make sure the watch you buy is one that will accept genuine parts. All too often I along with many, many of the other members here have bought a watch that we really like, but it would be so much better with a gen crystal, bezel assembly, crown, etc. Then we learn the sad news, the watch is so totally un gen like it will not accept genuine parts, except possibly a gen crown/tube.

I'll give you a good example, a few months ago, I bought a nice vintage TW best TT 16613 sub. After  I got it, on closer examination, it had many deficiencies, not something the average Joe on the street would notice, but it was outside my comfort zone. I decided to have it modded,, sent it off, and the fellow emailed me to tell me that the bezel would not come off the watch without destroying it, the crystal was not gen size, thus a gen crystal would not fit. Those were two things that I really wanted to mod, a gen crystal and a gen bezel, as it already has a gen insert, dial and crown/tube. Long story short, I ended up buying another case that will accept gen parts and it's being modded now. So in the long run, all that I used from the original watch was the movement, hands and bracelet. I would have been a lot better off buying the gen like case, a Swiss ETA movement, hands, dial insert and bracelet., or starting out with a nice watch with a gen spec case, then the other "Parts" could have been added over time.   

• 10 months later...

Some of the old vintage TW are not gen construction!

The last ones are(same as WM9 V1) ...

I have lost count on how many subs I have built. But your going to end up buying a TC or WM9 anyways. So you might as well go ahead and buy one and get it over with..because the more time you spend on these forums the more your going to want a better sub! Just for your piece of mind..Lol! Because 99% of the population doesn't know the difference !

The eta clones are good work horses! But try to go Swiss if you can...Better quality parts in Swiss movements!

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's down to YOU mostly. If a middle aged bloke in a suit pulls up in a Bentley continental GT sporting a poor Rolex rep then you wouldn't question it. If on the other hand the Domino's pizza guy comes round in a clapped out Ford fiesta wearing a £7,000 Submariner you would call FAAAAAKE  :bangin:

I think it's down to YOU mostly. If a middle aged bloke in a suit pulls up in a Bentley continental GT sporting a poor Rolex rep then you wouldn't question it. If on the other hand the Domino's pizza guy comes round in a clapped out Ford fiesta wearing a £7,000 Submariner you would call FAAAAAKE  :bangin:

+100 on this.  This is the root of the matter.  What can your lifestyle support?  Get an Noob PAM...most of them are super reps, but no one you meet has ever heard of a Panerai.  

Sometimes I think I will liquidate my rep collection ($4K+ in nine watches) and buy a nice gen DJ, but then I think...where's the fun in that?