When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Who's going to notice, really?

RBT1680

The age old question RBT I struggle with it every time I buy a piece, get top of the line go middle of the road, bargain basement!

Will somebody notice who knows will they say if they do?

Now A TC sub is the final step unless you build yourself also BK's good. Gonna keep and wear for a long time or will you tire of and sell at a lose that is the question.

BK's are sold out for a couple of months, and the TC sub now only comes with the TC2824, not a Swiss ETA, so now, I look at my Sub C which only cost $138, and actually, Im quite chuffed with it.  Yes, there are a couple of things need fixing, 12 o'clock triangle and 9 indice, but once these are corrected, its pretty much spot on for the money.

Really it is a question of how much are you into this ?

The TC is the full chocolate banana, as good as it gets before frankenvile and that's and expensive train to get on but at least with the TC you are stood on the platform, any thing else less a V2 WM9 and you are not in the same zip code as the train station!

I love analogies !

I cut my teeth on the noobmariner. It's where I learned to do mods. Trimmed the cgs, installed a gen crown and tube and put the WM pearl in the insert to bring it up to snuff.

At that point it was an acceptable rep. Mine had an eta in it also. Here's a pic of it

P1000207-1-1.jpg

Now days noobs may be a little better- decent pearl, decent size crown, cgs are a little better.

But I've moved on- a Euromariner with lugholes and a WM9 dial and hands and a 16800 matte dial in an ST3035 case. These are better reps in my mind since they take a gen bezel insert, crystal and bezel assembly- things the noob didn't do. Here's the 16800 matte dial

photo-27.jpg

Where to find the euro mariner? I have had a few cheapie 21j Rollie subs, 1680, a blue dial gold sub, a ceramic silix special, but they all seemed to be thrown together with mix and match parts so I ended up selling them. My daily wear is a Orient snorkler sub and am looking for a Rolex to wear out. And the cheapies did not cut it for me

I am on board with the others with going with a TC sub... I have owned a BK TW and two (2) TC subs and my current TC Sub has a gen insert, crown and crystal and it looks AMAZING and way better then my BK TW did. Here is a pic... I took it into a Rolex dealer here in Denver to have a link added (to see if they would call it out) and the guy totally thought it was GEN and complimented me on the watch.

post-51930-0-30414600-1368595083_thumb.j

post-51930-0-77068900-1368595092_thumb.j

98% of the people you meet will not be able to tell the difference. The super-upscale versions of our replicas are for **your** peace of mind. Some people want/need a better replica .. some do not.  It's all in your head.

I'm on my second noob 16610 they are great value  just wished I had one eta rather than 21j , I have also got a WM9 16613 , and there aint much of a difference given the massive price diff $49 vs $700+ . The thing I find is that they both seem a tad smaller than the Gen , I dont know what it is but mine appear smaller.  If you have the Cash go TC or BK but the alternatives aren't as shabby as some make out. I swim in mine all the time. Most people seem to think all Rollies are fakes and teh only ones who will really know are the Folks on here 

• Like 1

98% of the people you meet will not be able to tell the difference. The super-upscale versions of our replicas are for **your** peace of mind. Some people want/need a better replica .. some do not.  It's all in your head.

I'd say 99%+ won't be able to tell. Seiously...they are real close. The only people that can tell a lot of the time are the people on these boards, and none of them are going to call you out.

To the OP's question...

I always go for the Swiss ETA if possible. There's a lot to be said for the quality of the movement, and having a watch you know isn't going to just STOP in the middle of the day. THAT is a "tell"...for sure.

To the OP's question...

I always go for the Swiss ETA if possible. There's a lot to be said for the quality of the movement, and having a watch you know isn't going to just STOP in the middle of the day. THAT is a "tell"...for sure.

I disagree that the Swiss will not stop

4 or 5 years ago but now I think you have a better bet with the a 2836

• 2 months later...

To the OP's question...

I disagree that the Swiss will not stop

4 or 5 years ago but now I think you have a better bet with the a 2836

I agree on buying one with the A2836-2 movement or you need to be sure you buy with a gen Swiss ETA 2836-2. The ones they built in the rep's today are not 100% Swiss ETA 2836-2. Thats also what you can read here on RWG and the sister forum RWI about the difference of the A2836-2 and Swiss ETA 2836-2. 

Im not a Rolex fan at all. To most people it's known for being repped and sold in every corner of this planet. And that really bugs me. I know that when I own a Rolex, people are going to say that it's a fake, regardless the fact whether it's the real deal or a rep. 

That being said, I know I will end up with a submariner in my collection anyways. I love the looks of it. I cannot argue with you Rolex lovers. That's why I'm in the same dilemma as the original poster. Thus I will be patiently waiting for either the Noob v2 or when TC comes up with a gen-spec LN insert. The only decision I have to make then is Ceramic (Noob) or not-Ceramic (TC).

As for the movement, if deciding to go for Ceramic (Noob), I'll probably go mid-range for not having total crap or top shelf...

A lot of the minutia that we go into on the boards is sure to stick in your mind mate, at the end of the day truly it's what 'you' feel comfy wearing  ;)  I started off with a cheapie, then mid range now I have TC with a Gen insert, minutia got the better of me, but I'm OCD at the best of times never mind with a watch  :huh:

Like the guys have already said Asian movements are great these days and the swiss we get are far from the best, to me any watch I buy inc Rolex reps have to look good aesthetically too though. Choose how much you want to spend then start researching your options in that price range, if your not comfy spending $700+ on a rep atm then quite simply don't :) 

See the Super Rep thread in my signature for some ideas too.................... :inverted: 

• Like 1