When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Still More Proof of the Power (or Insanity) of the Newman Daytona

freddy333

Another oddity I have noticed is that a number of recent high dollar Newmans are anything but perfect specimens as they have 1 or more misaligned chrono hands. The sample in this thread is a typical example, with its center & hour chrono hands slightly to the left of their proper null positions. In fact, most of the Newmans in my archives have similarly imperfect smiles. The moral of all this is that having all of your chrono hands pointing exactly north is not something to neurose over.

What these and other sales typify to me is the insane amount of money floating around these days, folks buying Manhatten apartmemnts for 88 and now 90 million dollars, cars that sell for several million, The typical mortal just cannot inmagine that amount of money for some "object", but if you are a multi billionaire, this is nothing. Your third "trophy" wife probably spends that on hair, makeup and shoes every year.

Damn man. My eyes deceive me! They look so similar?

http://www.doubleredseadweller.com/mayerdial.html

Close, but not the same. The fonts & spacing are slightly different.

Is this the only known legit RCO dial in existance, or are there more out there?

This is the 2nd gen ROC I have seen & I (& many others) have always questioned the authenticity of Mayer's dial. The dial in the auctioned watch ticks all the right (gen) boxes, Mayer's does not. Again, fonts & spacing are the salient issues.

But, as always, just about anything is possible when it comes to vintage Rolex.