When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I've got Tools!

CptTripps

I started a few weeks ago and started on a 6497 hand wind, I am now on a Seiko 7009A automatic. The 6497 is a perfect starter to get your confidence up and get a feel for your tools.

Nice set of tools, they will become all consuming soon ;)

Well, this is about 1/3 of what I've purchased. I went in with both-feet this time. I'm setting everything up in my 'hobby room' in the basement. It's also a full B&W darkroom, and I've also used it to build custom high-end audio cables as well as putter refinishing and now leather working.

...I've got issues.

I wish I had the space for a watch workstation

If one were to start screwing around with movements where would you start? on a manual wind or a standard Asian 2824/2836

Unfortunately most of us are given no choice as our first foray into watch repair will be most likely an auto, as most of us own one, there are more of them out there, and they are more prone to problems.  :help:

TO O.P.

Very nice batch of purchases you have there!  I'm glad you have a dedicated area planned for their use. Many happy mods to you!

Congrats on the tools brother!  Looking very similar to my collection.  I still need to add a few other things, and finally some equipment too, then Im ready to rock and roll full time :)

Some serious toolery going on there!

I've bought about a third of that lot and still haven't used any of them yet, still building a place to work with them :)

Richard

Hey very cool stuff!

My advice for starting with movements: grab a good camera (or anything with good macro abilities) and take a photo from above and same anlge of each step when you disassemble a movement. E.g. dial side complete, then remove parts from the keyless, stop take a picture and take a pic of the parts you just removed and move on.

That's how I started, I have a few folders of different movement, each with about 30 photos of the disassembly. When I've put the movement together that came in handy.

And no, automatic movements are not too difficult, my very first movement I worked on was a ETA 2671, thats a lady size movement, about half of the size of a ordinary 2824. And yes, it works ;)

ATM I'm onto chronographs, thats more difficult!

• Like 1