When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Forbes article

Deckard1979

http://www.forbes.com/sites/arieladams/2013/05/30/the-truth-about-replica-watches/

"..Replica watch makers often take major brand names such a Rolex, Breitling, Patek Philippe, and Cartier, and stick them on horrid Frankenstein watches that are embarrassingly bad. Those are truly the worst of them.."

Obviously some hack writer who spent and hour on Canal street and then went back and wrote his article. I would bet you a hundred dollars if you put five really good reps and five comparable gens on a table, he couldn't' pick the reps from the gens!!

• Like 1

Made me happy.

The more disinformation concerning replica's the better as far as I am concerned.

The major swiss makers hate the replica because as time goes on the replica's get better and better.

Two of my favorite watches, APRO and APROO Diver are unbelievably good replicas's of a watch that is so difficult to fabricate.

I can understand why AP hates the replica so much.  The hours and technology that goes into the gens is incredible. 

What is more incredible is that the replica of watches of this caliber are available at 1/100 the cost of the gen.

Bad press concerning reps is GOOD for us.

• Like 1

[Ariel Adams, Contributor

I'm a luxury wrist-watch expert]

You are a luxury wrist-watch douche!

The guy just thinks that if you cant afford a real pam, then you are just a low life low class chum.  Ignorance to him, that curiously enough rich heirs and wealthy people actually have few gens and plenty of NY or internet reps.  The reality to them these days is that watches and watch brands are just a fashion clique.  Today they show up with a new hublot, next year they have a new rolex, new pam, whatever the trend is.  Same as designer clothing, shoes, purses...  Why spends thousands on the latest models, when in a year, new models, new designs rise above? 

Obviously some hack writer who spent and hour on Canal street and then went back and wrote his article. I would bet you a hundred dollars if you put five really good reps and five comparable gens on a table, he couldn't' pick the reps from the gens!!

Although the author describes himself as 'a luxury wrist-watch expert', it goes without saying.

You are king of the hill if you have a Gen Swiss timepiece, if you have a fake replica your a tosser.................that's how I read it :g: what an idiot this guy is!

My daughter is revising for her exams tomorrow and asked me what Propaganda means......this  :fool:  

This "writer", if I should even call him that, probably had a deadline to meet and that is that. I know one thing if he saw some of my watches, and then I disclosed that they were reps, he would be awestruck!

Many of us can, in fact, afford gens.... We just enjoy collecting reps.

Like they say - "if you know, then you know".

Glenleggy aka Cflight

"Pretty soon you realize that your fake car is terrible, and whatever enjoyment it offered you in the first few hours of ownership, it has made up for in being a total piece of garbage. That is pretty much what most fake watch ownership is like. The bottom line is that aren’t nearly as good as the real thing from a quality standpoint."

Interesting. I've owned Gens and took a leap

of faith years ago. I haven't looked back since. Why buy one Gen that I'm going to nick, scratch, drop, clip on a corner of a wall...... When I can buy at least 10-15 for the same price ?

This writer is a Pompas @ss. Obviously he has a lot of short comings he's been struggling with during his life time.

My $.02

I guess he thinks that the Deep Sea Sea Dweller is worth it's $11,000 MSRP and at that price is a much better value than my $400 rep. I know my rep is only worth $150, if that, but I also know that the Rolex is only worth about $1000 and the mark up is much higher than that of the rep. 2-300% mark up vs. 1100% mark up, I know where my money is going.

I guess he doesn't appreciate all the work that the people who actually know reps (this forum) are doing to keep fakes off of ebay and protect people from mistakenly purchasing a rep for 5 or 10k, if it wasn't for replica collectors and enthusiasts, who would be pulling those fakes from the bay? certainly not Ariel Adams who would have a hard time spotting a Canal St. rep.

not a very balanced article, but what do you expect? .. forbes to write an article saying -- yeah, a rep is a good inverstment..

lets take a look at it from an investment point of view .. -- 

spend $300 getting a sub from a TD, or $8000 buying the same sub at a rolex AD -- 

what would be a better investment? -- 10 years down the road .. with proper maintenance the rep sub will probably still be working.. but even if it died lets say 2x -- and you replaced it, you still would have spent only about $1000 or less ..   -- the value of a $8000 sub today in 10 years, is probably less that $8000 .. (they are not that rare).

$7000 invested today in a nice index fund is probably going to be worth north of $10,000 in 10 years.. (being genenerous, the value is likely higher).

.. so hmm .. i'll take the rep that works as well as the gen, pocket the extra $3k and buy more reps with that money too. - 

at this point i only own reps, i am 38 have enough money to buy gens if i wanted to, but i just dont see a way to justify the expense given that i am concentrating on building up wealth rather than spending it. -- my net worth appreciates that. -- maybe that is the waht luxury brands are afraid of, people with means loosing interest in spending their money on luxury goods.

Edited by Ricardo L