When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Seamaster 300 m PRO released

fitmic

Guest khashayar

I'm sure. Let me upload one of my pictures again.

post-52261-0-07084500-1374351175_thumb.j

Think this picture is good. 
Look at the sub-c bezel; definitely engraved. 
SMP is printed, bezel numbers shine and reflect.

A member at RWI (or maybe it was rwg.bz) confirmed that his gen SMP-c is not engraved.

Guest khashayar

Look at this one as well. A somewhat close-up picture I took from Omegas own boutique on Fifth Ave.
Maybe your dealer is selling counterfeit Omegas from Trusty Time... ;)

post-52261-0-37741700-1374351909_thumb.j

I'm sure. Let me upload one of my pictures again.

image.jpg

Think this picture is good.

Look at the sub-c bezel; definitely engraved.

SMP is printed, bezel numbers shine and reflect.

A member at RWI (or maybe it was rwg.bz) confirmed that his gen SMP-c is not engraved.

You are right K. I also checked some Google pics and most looked printed. Maybe I saw a rep at the AD :lol:

I seriously believe Omega made a V2 of the bezel that now is engraved.

Edit: Lol we posted the same thing at the same time...

Rolexman, in your pics the bezel def looks engraved - the is a very thin shadow on the edge of the 2 in "20"

Khashayar - your bezel looks flat, painted

Weird...

Anyway, I think bezel looks better engraved, kicks bezel up a nothch, Omega should do that.

I am so, so tempted to get the blue... I need a new watch pick-me-up, haven't bought anything in 7months.

Guest khashayar

You are right K. I also checked some Google pics and most looked printed. Maybe I saw a rep at the AD :lol:

I seriously believe Omega made a V2 of the bezel that now is engraved.

Edit: Lol we posted the same thing at the same time...

This is really weird. Maybe you are right, I'd really like to know. 

Send an email to Omega? Call them? 

It's not really crucial to me, but it bugs me not knowing.

Guest khashayar

On the other hand, looking at it logically, the painted bezel should be V2.
If the BP factory started working on it for about a year ago or so, the purchase must have been summer 2012, while the bezel was engraved; hence them being certain that the bezel is engraved (as discussed earlier).

Either way, we should find out.

Josua has QC pics http://imageshack.us/g/1/10246648/

Regarding the engraved bezel vs. not engraved...  It is my impression that the gen looks engraved, 100%.  It seems like the engraving is filled by a translucent material and is then polished/finished smooth.  So while it looks engraved, it is smooth to the touch... fingernail will not get caught in the grooves, because there are no grooves--they're filled-in.

That said, the watch looks great (I have the 007), runs great (I opted for the Asia 2892 version), great bracelet and case.  

My only criticisms:

back waves look like shiny ridges instead of sandy waves

crown may be a pinch taller and/or not be recessed enough (sticks out a little)

the caseback is a little thicker than the gen, possibly to fit the 4.6mm  2824 in there vs the 2500 which is based on the 3.6mm 2892A2 (the bullet on my 007 version is recessed).  

mine only has AR coating on the inside, as far as I can tell (I have a constellation that is quite magnificent as a rep, with the Stellita movement)

IMG_5115.jpg.

I may purchase the blue one next.  I may also wait for the N factory so that I can have one of each (N will probably do a better job at the back).  I may get both and combine the best features of both.  

I was told that the blue dial/bezel color was derived from the gen blue Planet Ocean used for their 1:1.  This may imply they did not have a non 007 50 years, hence the caseback is done by the seat of the pants.

Edited by madmex

Thanks for the link Madmex... Will order one tomorrow. The ceramic seems a bit dull. Could be the lighting?...or else nothing some diamond polish won't take care of :)

Likewise thanks for your pics.  I am a huge fan of the blue, but it was not out when I got the 007.  I have missed out on many good reps for waiting, so I told myself I wouldn't let it happen this time.  My preference would've been for the blue vs 007 but the caseback is pretty cool.  Here's a gone 2531.80 rep.  This was the best I could get, but I understand there was a much better one from a "closed factory" with a 2892.  Notice the seconds hand has a shorter counterweight length and the pearl.

DSCN0693.jpg

Likewise thanks for your pics.  I am a huge fan of the blue, but it was not out when I got the 007.  I have missed out on many good reps for waiting, so I told myself I wouldn't let it happen this time.  My preference would've been for the blue vs 007 but the caseback is pretty cool.  Here's a gone 2531.80 rep.  This was the best I could get, but I understand there was a much better one from a "closed factory" with a 2892.  Notice the seconds hand has a shorter counterweight length and the pearl.

You are really good informed mate. That was back when I first joined in '06. The 'closed factory 2892' also had the correct HEV position. Really cool you were able to obtain one of these oldies. Not from the 'closed factory' indeed but still the best ever made. I owned one back in the days and still regret selling mine.

Guest khashayar

In the proces of choosing my TD :)

I'm also very close to get the black one. Not sure if I should; worried about crown/stem issues.

Do you know anything?

Madmex how is the crown/tube screwdown quality on yours? Still no clear view here on this here, a couple said it was 'iffy' ..i.e. one or two short turns, a couple of others said it was fine and solid.

In the proces of choosing my TD :)

Damn, couldn't restrain myself. Took the plunge and bought the black SMP from intime.
Will post the QC pics when I get them :)

:) Keep us posted you two ;) still think this is a great looking watch and not seeing much feedback.

Would lubricating the crown stem with stem grease help the crown/tube situation?

Not if it already is screwed up.... Some proper grease and reworking the threads with a glass fiber pen does smoothen out the threads a bit, making it easier for them to mesh correctly. But if the material they used for the crown is crap/soft (as the crown is the one that most of the time strips) it is a matter of time before you will have troubles. It is a quality issue...

:) Hope so, could be a good sign. Long time no see Gran, good to see you back!

been busy......overloaded with my science and five daughters partly driving me insane.......back lurking for an AP ROO diver V3.5 or V4 or V5 if there ever will be such beast.

Just purchased an 42MM PO and a cheaper Seamaster Professional from Trusty for my father and father in law and in that order so not completely out of it

To answer the crown/stem question... I did have an issue.  I should point out that I ordered the Asia2892 clone, not the swiss 2824. 

The issue I had... was that the stem was too long and it was taking a LOT of pressure to push the crown in and screw it back in.  I saw this becoming a problem possibly ruining the treads prematurely, so I opened her up, took the setting stem off, put it on a vise, and the pin broke lol.  Fortunately genuine 2892A2 stems are available on eBay and I ordered a new one (wore my vintage Ingy Laureus on a mesh strap, and my superrep Connie in the meantime).  A week later I cut the stem 1 mm short of where it was, and it went back in without issues and without undue force.  

As far as the crown and tube itself, I didn't examine them closely but they feel SOLID and well built.  The only flaws on my watch are the insert is slightly off (the way they glued it is not centered perfectly),  the caseback is about 1 mm too thick for the slim 2892 bullet rotor, and the omega symbol is not perfectly level with the OMEGA applique.

The watch looks VERY well built, feels well built, I don't think I have any AR on the outside (seems others do, from the pics I've seen), and the 2892 runs very well, and is very precise.  All in all I love the watch--I definitely want the blue but will wait for others' reviews.  Blue would've been my first choice but I had no idea it was coming lol.  The non exhibition caseback in the black/blue is truly an artist's impression of the real one, which it appears they saw on a picture because it is waaaaaaaay off. 

The bezel is not a huge deal to me, but I do believe the gen looks the same until you examine it up close.  I think there's a filler material (clear silica?) that appears to be smoothly baked with the rest of the bezel hence the confusion on engraved vs painted. it is BOTH lol.

• Like 1

Guest khashayar

Okay guys, here comes some QC pics which I've been studying like an idiot for the past 20 minutes.
I know, I know... one shouldn't post QC pics (ethically speaking), but... whatever-

I'm very much of a nitpicker, but I've got to say the watch looks pretty good looking at the QC pics. 
Ofcourse there are small flaws which one still has to accept it being a rep and not a gen. I'm mainly talking about the pearl being slightly (just slightly) too low and a little too big, as the "top" of the pearl should be in level with the bezel, if you know what I'm saying.
The Omega marking and logo on the clasp should be a little bolder, comparing to gen.

And other small flaws. But I still wanted to share it with you guys.

Tell me what you think! I've posted some pics of the gen on page 2, so one can compare. Rolexman also posted som pics of a gen (blue) on page 3. Good for reference.

post-52261-0-12838500-1374767195_thumb.j

post-52261-0-44061200-1374767196_thumb.j

post-52261-0-61906200-1374767197_thumb.j

post-52261-0-66922700-1374767198_thumb.j

post-52261-0-61009600-1374767199_thumb.j

post-52261-0-61045500-1374767200_thumb.j