When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Loose Datejust Bezel

omgiv

Hi Gang,

I have been in the process of putting together a frankenjust over the last couple of weeks.  I think that I finally got my movement straightened out and and was casing it up today to realize that my bezel is too loose.  The only thing not genuine so far is the movement.  The case I have is a 16200 but bought an engine turned bezel.  It was sold as genuine and seemed to fit the measurements but I think it is either wrong or has been stretched out.  The measurements I got when I used my micrometer were:

OD: 34.52mm

ID: 30.6mm

Thickness: 2.3mm

Most bezels I have seen have ID measurements of 30.5mm.  I can install and remove the bezel with my fingers and it will spin freely.  I also tried a Clarks crystal gasket but it was only slightly tighter.  My question is whether or not someone knows a trick so I can use this bezel or find another one.  Thanks in advance!!!!

Thanks automatico. I printed out your post and have read it several times. I know that Rolex makes a tool for stretching and shrinking bezels but have never seen one in person. I was just wondering if anyone knew of thicker gaskets or DIY trick.

The too big id of the bezel is a mystery as modern steel bezels are very hard to stretch because in order to stretch one, the bezel would have to be forced down over a non spec crystal/gasket or something else. Either that or cut it in a lathe.

Just wondering...is it concentric inside or out of round?

I have never seen an 'official rolex bezel squeezer' in the metal but have seen pictures.

Hi Automatico,

It seems to be concentric to me.  I spun it on my lathe and it seemed to be running true.  It may have been forced over a non-spec crystal and/or gasket previously like you said.  I don't know.  It measures anywhere from 30.6mm to 30.58mm all around.  I looked for a while last night and found several aftermarket smooth and fluted bezels, but couldn't find an aftermarket engine turned bezel.  I don't know if they exist.  I have a couple of bezels coming (some gen and some not) so we will see what pans out.

Also, there is one of the Rolex bezel tools on eBay right now.  The seller must be out of his mind because he is asking almost $20,000 or it.  Here is the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321135755594?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649