When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Magnetic Attraction, Milgauss 6541

denimhead

Over the years  I've done the rounds in terms of every variant of Vintage Sub, as I've grown older with this hobby it seems my interest has also aged in terms of Rolex models. After my recent experience with a Phong cased based 6538 build I decided my next project would be another variant of the non crown guard sport models, the Mlguass 6541.

The Cartel Milgauss 6541 rep was launched quite a while ago now and seemed to go under the Radar in terms of interest. I do remember the mild hysteria when MBW released their version a few years earlier but after a few posts it became quite apparent to members that the watch was too flawed to ever be a believable option.

Biggest bonus for me on the Cartel one was that the watch was already fitted with a slow beat 2846, and the crown position was far better than the MBW.

As always the case is far too thick for the 65++ variants, I'm guessing a stock 1680 with the CG removed. A nice touch on the watch is that it comes with the anti magnetic Faraday inner case and spring loaded caseback (I'm sure it doesn't work) but a nice touch all the same.

So onto the Jobs that needed doing -

1.Replace the tube and crown for the correct Gen 6mm size, the rep comes with a large shiny triplock job

2. Re shape the case, I've thinned it out a bit on the underside and flattened the top of the lugs, its still too thick but looks much better thn it did on arrival. Interestingly enough while doing some online research some of the Gen Milgauss did seemed to have a slightly thicker case than the 6538.

Freddy am i right or totally wrong on this one?

3. The bezel was an interesting one, the rep has a lower ridge that needed removing so the coin edge bezel sat flatter to the case as per Gen. Metal file at the ready

4. I also wanted to see if i could get the bezel and retainer ring to work with the classic spring wire found on the Gen vintage subs. The rep is only held on with a rubber gasket! Hours later i finally managed to make the 2 parts work together, however it involved snipping the spring wire into 10mm pieces, filing them to half the thickness and wedging them between the bezel and the groove in the retainer ring. Amazingly its worked.

5. The rep insert isn't great so that was replaced with one of Michaels at CWP, the metal file came back out as it did need trimming in order to get it to fit the bezel.

6. Then it was over to Big Daz's place for Lug drilling, a Lume tint and a bit of general aging to the hands and dial. I like the rust spot at 6pm nothing like a bit of water damage!

I also got him to replace the Coronet for a Gen one, must sharper than the rep one.

So there you have it, hope that's maybe hilighted this slightly over shadowed rep a bit. Hopefully you like the end result

Cheers DH

post-12988-0-98173300-1372767141_thumb.j

post-12988-0-42632100-1372767166_thumb.j

post-12988-0-18540400-1372767192_thumb.j

post-12988-0-42697100-1372767215_thumb.j

post-12988-0-36241400-1372767236_thumb.j

post-12988-0-87868700-1372767867_thumb.j

I saw pics on Saturday of the painstaking lengths DH had to go to on this bezel, all I can say is the results were worth it mate. What a Beauty, cant wait to see this in the flesh sometime soon. ;)

Thanks for the nice comments guys, it was fun to do. I've been offered a Gen dial today for my Franken 1016 build so this beauty is actually up for grabs, $550.00 would seal the deal, that's below the cost of the parts and Big Daz's modding fees so a great deal. Head only by the way, the bracelets my Gen 93150 and already allocated to another project.

Cheers DH

What a looker.  Wow.  Congrats, I tried to accomplish the same thing many years ago and gave up ... my pathetic attempts became the infamous DRTRLXXLWWW (available NOW from CrazySaleMan!!)

Nicely done mate!  :tu:

I'd love to keep it guys, problem is I've already commited to a gen 16014 case,gen Tudor movement and gen dial for my 1016 build so I'm over spent by a long way. Usual situation with this hobby, nothing comes along then all the bloody parts suddenly appear.

I guess I can always build another one in the future.

DH

Looks great! Would love to see some in process shots of the modifications (especially the case and bezel rework).

i'm away from home this evening but i'll certainly load a few shots on here tomorrow night. The bezel was a leap of faith and thankfully worked out well. My fingers are still covered in blisters  :)

Whatever you do, don't place a modern magnet against it, out of curiosity. These watches are safe for use in a magnetic field, NOT for having a modern rare earth magnet which can commonly approach 20,000 gauss pressed against it. 1000 gauss yes. 20000 no.