When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

TC Sub Case Back Opener

imajedi

Hey guys, can anyone recommend a good case back opener for our rolex subs, particularly TC's.  I purchased an opener off Amazon for about $50 and it sucks.  I couldn't open TC's sub or a noob sub with it.  The product seems like good quality except the die's don't really fit very well on the baseback so all it does is slip and scratch.  It's more of a caseback scratcher instead of an opener.  Thanks in advance. 

Where did you get your case back die set from?  The one I got from AceTimer rocks, fits like a glove, no scratching.  Its a Bergeon clone that I have, but quality is not cheap crap like the majority out there.

Go to Ofrei, Jules Borel here in the USA and probably CousinsUK if you are in the EU and buy a Bergeron case opener set. It has all the openers for every size except the very newest models. The Bergeron case openers are pretty expensive, around 166.00 USD and they do not include the opener die for the larger cases like the DSSD and the newer subs and GMT's.

Here is a link to the watchbiz store, operated by one of our members offshore. This is the opener set I have and have never had a problem with it. When you use the tool, you have to be very careful to press straight down and turn, even the best openers will slip if you have it at a slight angle. Very well made and from his description, he tried out a bunch of these sets before he found one that didn't slip.

Link:http://watchbitz.com.au/shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=50

Here is a link to the watchbiz store, operated by one of our members offshore. This is the opener set I have and have never had a problem with it. When you use the tool, you have to be very careful to press straight down and turn, even the best openers will slip if you have it at a slight angle. Very well made and from his description, he tried out a bunch of these sets before he found one that didn't slip.

Link:http://watchbitz.com.au/shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=50

That has to be the same one I have the quality is top notch, and the dies fit perfectly.

Looks like a completely different die set mate, bin it and get the RWG one :)

I agree, invest in a better one, you will be glad you did. Crappy tools make a job 10X as hard, and you end up buggering something up that ends up costing you more than the good tool would have!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rubber ball is only good for opening but you can not torque the back down properly.

False.

I have done a number of dives wearing watches that were closed with rubber balls.

They are not the ideal or the best tool, and I recommend using a proper caseback wrench if you have one, but torque is torque and if the rubber ball is all you have and you're careful, you can seal a watch to be water-resistant just fine.

sub_102.jpg

I have never used a steel toll only the rubberball and that has ALWAYS been working for me, also for saune combined with ice bathing without any problems with condensation:)

But it is VERY important to use a good silicon grease on ALL the seals in the watch to be sure it will be waterproof:)

Thanks guys. There is no doubt the tool is a dud. I'm sure it's Chinese crap made to extremely poor tolerances and thus, some work....some don't.

I have the grease so I'll lube the gaskets before I put it back together. I'll try opening with the ball when it comes but will consider a better die for closing. Maybe I can just buy a 29.5 die somewhere instead of the entire new set?

All this started when I wore the watch body surfing in the ocean over the 4th. It was completely water tight and no issues there but the jarring knocked something loose internally. The watch still seems to work fine but it sounds like the entire movement may have come loose. When you rock the watch back and forth it sound like a giant loose ball bearing is hitting the sides of the case.

The bezel also filled with sand and was unmovable. I was easily able to remove that, clean everything and replace. Just need to square away the terrible sound now.