When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Discussion On Drums...

fotoman

I think you'll find he pushes Ruby (his protegé) as his favourite dealer. That's just him; the rest of the board all seem to have different choices of top dealer.

interesting, he used to push josh - he pushed me to josh, Josh went and got me a watch that river, king said wasn't available

being willing to make a little effort for me definatly paid off for him. he has probably sold 20 watches to me and friends and family i reffered.

Its much easier now with his website. I have also learned to get out of the middle of transactions for family, cause then you end up doing quality control and problem solving for family. So now i go - here, website, paypal, i recomend - enjoy!! :)

I have had nothing but great experiences with josh. i respect a guy who is willing to say - I can you get you something like thta, but in all honesty its crap, i won't stock it, because its not worthwhile.

And even with his unbelievable pace he ads watches to the site (he must have a walmart size shipping ooperation) he still responds to emails (at least mine) faster than anyone else.

------------------

and thats portnoy's kit, its actually 2 sets together. He is freaking awesome

Ok, time for you tube

here you go portnoy playing on that drumset - using both sides - if you watch teh whole thing. This is from modern drummer festival so the video is drum heavy this is a montage of solo sections of songs put together that they did for this tour.

it will BLOW YOUR MIND musicially :) unfortunatly because of utube restrictions you only get 7:33 of a 12:00+ montage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyqNNCUtgHM

Seems to me that Eric Carr's set from the first concert (KISS back in the day, though I've seen them since) I ever went to was bigger. The drum solo was sick. Whole concert was sick. But I was 12, and Wendy O and the Plasmatics opened. A woman with a 2-foot mohawk, bikini panties and electrical tape smashing televisions with a sledgehammer seem to have distorted my entire life since then. :bounce::Jumpy::bounce:

For my money, Josh is the dealer I'll buy from the most. His customer service is second to none, products absolutely rock, and servicing before shipment has kept all my watches (and those for my friends and wife) keeping great time and reliable. I'll recommend him to everyone. I've had problems with watches, he sends a replacement fully serviced before he gets the bad one back from me. Always answers my questions honestly, recommends against his own watches knowing my taste and expectations. You just won't go wrong when ordering from him.

"no one uses real double bass you would have to tune the 2 heads identical"

On some of Portnoy's stuff he has to use two bass drums with double pedals. He claims that he plays so fast on a few songs that the drum head cannot respond fast enough with a single drum. I believe him. He will not play some songs with his single bass sets for that reason, from what I understand.

Love the big drum sets, but simplicity is truth. Pert is pretty damn amazing but my two favorite old school drummers are Narada Michael Walden and for subtle studio drumming - Steve Gadd (studio drummer on Steely Dan's Asia). But to this day the coolest concert on non lead instrument I ever witnessed was Jaco Pastorius - IMHO the greatest electric bassist ever and member of weather report. In his prime he sold out a 20,000 seat stadium and it was him (and only him) with various electronic accoutrement. The amazing thing is the guy ended up homeless in the streets of Florida. What this has to do with this thread I have no idea. :lol:

"no one uses real double bass you would have to tune the 2 heads identical"

On some of Portnoy's stuff he has to use two bass drums with double pedals. He claims that he plays so fast on a few songs that the drum head cannot respond fast enough with a single drum. I believe him. He will not play some songs with his single bass sets for that reason, from what I understand.

yeah - that can be true - with the head response depending on how you tune it i have had that issue when my head is to loose, it doesn't respond well with the double kick, i'm no portnoy but sometimes its almost like a flam DB hit, but - in reality, i have seen the super crazy fast guys, the ones that can't keep a beat but can sound like a blender on drums - they usually use 1 DB - and they play faster than portnoy.

eitherway its definatly not common

- -Re: Kiss in the 80's KIss set definatly not bigger than portnoy, but probably was bigger than the pert set.

70's and 80's it was all about who had the bigger kit :)

- Kruz- Gadd is one of the best, he is up there on my best of groove charts - my favorite groove of his to play is 50 ways to leave your lover - Man thats a tuff one to hit right.

Vinnie rises to the top for me, because he also had a great rock groove. - I know that Zappa used to call him mini steve gadd :) or something to that effect

its amazing how this thread got hijacked yet kept its bi-polar issue on track

played drum,

got in big trouble..

was about 7-8 years old

drum was huge, in Fallbrook wildnerness..

was drum to call

firemans

now that

is cross link!

Not surprising? Firemans did not charge for using drumstick.. to cross link...

:D

Life is Good!

Klink

Edited by Klink

ok, i understand cross marketing, but - there are a bunch of dealers. Wonder if this is the future.

and for drum sets - don't bother me with such trinkets for a child -

a Real Drum Set - Mike Portnoy - The Siamese Monster

156914-13494.jpg

Mike Portnoy = One Of The Gods

It really does not matter at all

who is doing what to who..

all that matter is

personal opinion as applied to

what can be seen:

As a para in my younger life,

I was wont to jump to many

of conclusions...

now, my hand is out..

I will put a banner in my bedroom with a link to anywhere

for a small fee and an honorarium!

All levity aside, I have purchased multiple times from TTK,

I still flourish the Montegrappa Dragon...

All is good, all is swell...

the path to righteousness is not paved with payola,

imo...

is surpremely difficult if nigh unto impossible to hide

what actually occurs...

and while Neil may have been lacking in due diligence as regards dealer forum

he certainly has a flair, and an honesty that is to be remarked!

Look not here for payola.. rather elsewhere, in the rep forum world...

much is best, perhaps, not said about motivations and methods

there.. all honorable gents, to be sure.. and one can impose what one can,

and decree what one is able...

when is not a hobby, but a moneygrubbing?

u decide.. what you will...

Edited by Klink