When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage accuracy

BlackFlash

http://bit.ly/10ZVcvV

I have a credit with Andrew because the first two watches that I attempted to purchase weren't in stock. After some thought, I'm considering a vintage Steve McQueen 1655 Explorer II. While I'm fairly new to reps, I'm VERY new to anything vintage. I read Toad's guide to the 1655, but I'm not sure that I have the eye that many of you have.

Also noted are the several different movements available, but for now, my focus is on the cosmetics. I can always choose the movement once I feel confident (with your help) about the accuracy of Andrew's vintage "stock." 

At the top of the post is a link to his site where he offers a selection of the "Steve McQueens." 

Please chime in and let me know what you think. I'd rather you all tell me that I'm crazy for thinking about it than to look crazy wearing a lousy version of what has been touted as a "Top Grade Vintage Rep."

Thanks!

Flash

"Steve McQueens is  a over 15000$ watch the real deal!  so if you drive a ferrari go for!  the best deal is 5513 or 1665 model! you need  a new bezel on the SD!

GWSD 1665 go for 10k-15k and DRSD from 20k-30k  and you can also find 5513's that go for 15k as well. Doesn't matter wich one BF gets, all can be pulled off.

Actually, I'm a 37 year old woman. I've got the same height/weight/athletic build as Serena Williams. I pull off my Cartier Ballon Bleu (42mm) and the Calibre de Cartier (also 42mm, but wears much larger because of it other dimensions) very well - if I do say so myself.

Flash 

I am not generally a fan of women wearing gentlemen's watches (the effect, to me, is akin to wearing your husband's/boy friend's dress shirt in public). But, that said, if you are going for it, the EXII would be 1 of the best options for you due to its understated design (relative to some of the Dick Tracy watches people wear today). Were it me (being fully aware that I am neither a woman nor drive an SUV), however, I would opt for the later, white dialed version of the EXII

PC-km%2527rol-explo20-1.jpg

But the original EXII is a great watch, too. Of the options listed, I would go with the top model with white lume (looks the most genuine of the bunch - keeping in mind that, regardless of the seller's hyperbole, no rep is an exact match to its genuine counterpart, the trick is to research the genuine model you are interested in & select the rep that contains the sins that affect YOU the least.............but I digress)

4750ef0403f1ae42288031beb2c09345.image.8

29e2b5a79beec12abb9c3089c0246e62.image.8

& to avoid reliability issues, I would have your watch professionally overhauled by a local watchmaker upon arrival (or soon thereafter). If you decide to ice the cake, consider swapping the crown/tube & crystal with genuine Rolex parts, which will take it to the next step & give you a bit of a genuine feel when manipulating the crown.

Good luck & do not forget to post pics of your new watch.

Hi Flash

Hopefully some useful information for you on the Rolex 1655 rep, as a lot of the guys have already pointed out most people won't have a clue what it is anyway. However if you meet someone who's up on the Vintage sports stuff then he'll/she'll spot its a rep from 50 paces. Having said that you can improve the watch quite easily with an ingod44 dial, better AM bezel, gen crystal and gen crown, Raffles Orange 24hr hand, get the lugs drilled and you'd have a very nice wearable example.

1. The case its too big,too thick and more like a Rep Sub case. The bezel doesn't overlap the case correctly at 4 and 8 on the bezel as per Gen

2. Crown guards are wrong in terms of shape and side profile

3. No outer groove on the case back

4. The numbers on the bezel are incorrect in terms of the 4's font

5. The dials have the wrong shaped coronets for either the earlier T SWISS T or the later T SWISS < 25T  dials

6. The Orange 24hr hand really is the biggest give away, completely the wrong shape and length

7. The crown on the ones I've owned feel very cheap44

8. The case should have larger lug holes to take the 2mm spring bars

As Fred suggested, I'd keep an eye out on the sales forum for a nice  modern Explorer which may have had a few nice upgrades like Gen Crown, crystal  etc 

Cheers DH

@DenimHead - WOW! Thanks for all that very useful info. Indeed, a rep is still a rep. Especially when you consider all the flaws. If I do go ahead with the 1655, I'd have a lot of work ahead of me. Much more so than the more modern white faced Explorer II that Freddy mentioned. 

@Freddy - The thing is that I did buy a Explorer II from a trusted Dealer and soon thereafter, the cyclops fell off. He offered to have me send it back to him, but it got "lost" somewhere along the way. It was a loss for me. Plus, it was my first rep. I decided to give it a try again with other pieces (with less to go wrong) and so far so good. The Explorer II is a great option and maybe I should go that route again and hope for less disappointment. Thanks for the reminder.

Parenthetically, both aforementioned Cartier watches look good while I'm driving my 1981 Fiat Spider convertible too :)

Flash 

@Freddy - The thing is that I did buy a Explorer II from a trusted Dealer and soon thereafter, the cyclops fell off. He offered to have me send it back to him, but it got "lost" somewhere along the way. It was a loss for me. Plus, it was my first rep. I decided to give it a try again with other pieces (with less to go wrong) and so far so good. The Explorer II is a great option and maybe I should go that route again and hope for less disappointment. Thanks for the reminder.

Parenthetically, both aforementioned Cartier watches look good while I'm driving my 1981 Fiat Spider convertible too :)

Problems like cyclops falling off are very rare, but just another reason to replace the crystal (on whichever rep you get) with a genuine part. The genuines have the correct  Rolex magnification (2.5x), which the aftermarkets often get wrong. They (the genuines) also tend to sparkle, especially those with a beveled edge, which gives your watch a distinct jewel-like quality, which is sorely lacking on aftermarket lenses. On the other hand, no matter how careful you are, the crowns/tubes on most Rolex reps tend to cross-thread, so swapping these parts out for gens is more of a requirement than a luxury for a watch you need to rely on.

Ah, vintage Fiats. Pretty cars (especially the Spider convertible - you are more than welcome to post a wristie with your Spider), but 1 of the few that were built worse than British sports cars of similar vintage (I used to service them both).

Freddy, 

As for the Explorer II, I just sent an email to Andrew to see if he has it in stock. I've been advised to get the Asian clone ETA because so many of the "Swiss" ETA turn out to be not so 100% Swiss. Why pay for the doubt if the Asian ETA clone can be reliable.  I'll also be on the look out for gen parts - crystal and crown/tube. 

BTW I've had better luck with my beautiful Fiat than with my rep Explorer! And if I do have a problem with my Fiat, I have one of the most reputable mechanics of Fiats in the country about 20 minutes away. Don't worry, while I may post a wristie with of me and my Fiat, I'll spare you by making sure that I'm not wearing my by boyfriend's dress shirt.  

The Asian clones tend to be solid movements after a proper (professional) overhaul. These days, regardless of the seller's claim, I would assume the ETA in your rep is Asian-made, unless proven otherwise. Still, if your preference is for aesthetics over cost (that tends to be my usual default), you might want to go with the version that mimics the genuine Rolex movement (it is not functionally the same, but it may fool some collectors/watchmakers & looks nicer than the ETA copy).

I assume you have not been driving the Fiat for many years, otherwise, you would likely rescind the comparison to the rep Explorer.

As for the shirt, probably a good move. ;)

Problems like cyclops falling off are very rare, but just another reason to replace the crystal (on whichever rep you get) with a genuine part. The genuines have the correct  Rolex magnification (2.5x), which the aftermarkets often get wrong. They (the genuines) also tend to sparkle, especially those with a beveled edge, which gives your watch a distinct jewel-like quality, which is sorely lacking on aftermarket lenses. On the other hand, no matter how careful you are, the crowns/tubes on most Rolex reps tend to cross-thread, so swapping these parts out for gens is more of a requirement than a luxury for a watch you need to rely on.

Ah, vintage Fiats. Pretty cars (especially the Spider convertible - you are more than welcome to post a wristie with your Spider), but 1 of the few that were built worse than British sports cars of similar vintage (I used to service them both).

Ahhh Freddy, fond memories of working on my old Truimph Spitfire, on my drive with the aid of bricks and a crappy trolley jack. Engine out, lightened fly wheel, ported and gas flowed head and a set of Motor Bike Carbs for good measure. Uprated suspension with race spec anti roll bar. That thing flew and grunted beautifully through a stainless steel manifold and straight through exhaust system. Now the Lotus Elan was a very different story, glass fibre under the finger nails ain't great!

Ah, a man who appreciates fine motoring. Many years ago, after I sold the E-Type, I thought it would be clever to 'update' the Spitfire similar to what you did. Unfortunately, it made leisurely weekend drives in the country, which is all I use it for, literally unbearable. So I removed all the updates, returned the car to 100% stock & lived happily ever after

spitfire21.jpg

1665aug110152__-2_tonemapped1.jpg

I have never owned an Elan, but always respected Mrs. Peel's choice. I did have a Super 7 for a bit in the 80s, which was a glorious car, when it ran. The 7 did make it to a couple of car shows

cr_sseven1.jpg

As long as we're commiserating......

I just had the unmitigated GALL to give my crusty old Land Rover a bath.  :rtfm:

45 minutes later I had it running again.   :pray:

(digging grease out from my fingernails)   :vava:

Ah, Nanug my friend, you should know better!!series models are deathly allergic to fresh water. Biggest problem I had with mine,when you washed the outside, the inside got washed as well. The old Series IIa's were about as waterproof as most of our reps!!!

Flash, the guys posting above are correct, advice wise. Most of the reps need to be frankened to be believable. Gen crown and tube, or a good quality aftermarket tube are pretty essential. With most Rolex models, every gen part that you add will enhance the quality and "believability" of the watch. Personally, I have never been a fan of the Explorer GMT, my favorites have always been the "other GMT" the 6542, 1675, 16750 and the GMTIIC. I love vintage Rolex watches!! Honestly, if you can put together a really nice Steve McQueen, you will have a wonderful watch that you can wear with pride anywhere. And, if you are built like Serena, and driving a vintage Fiat Spyder, who's going to notice the watch anyway, except for the tow truck driver who rescues you when you break down on the side of the road!!! All in jest, glad to have you aboard and hopefully some of us old guys can help you find and put together the watch of your dreams.