When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Has TZ Become Superfluous for Serious Rolex Discussion?

freddy333

As most long-time collectors are already aware, over the years, TZ has become more & more nanny-state-like in its prohibition of questions relating to price, specific dealers, reps (of course) & just about any other subject their moderators feel might offend their brand sponsors. Of course, TZ continues to be a great place for newbies or anyone wanting to show off their new Rolex or ask whether they should buy the white or black dial or whether trading a Double Red for 2 Omega Speedmasters makes sense. But for those seeking an open, frank & adult conversation, I think it has now outlived its usefulness. At least, it has for me. I realized today that it has been weeks since I last felt the impulse to check into TZ & that has become the norm. As 1 of its initial members (I 1st registered in early '01, prior to the original facelift), it seems like ages since I could not wait to check in to see what new debate was raging or what new technological problem had been solved by fellow members. But, these days, it seems like all the serious stuff has moved on to more open pastures.

I left the fold of TZ years ago. There are/were a couple of moderators over there that were absolute a-holes. Short of the cool pics of the Basel shows and other new releases, the place had become a hotbed of pointless discussion and wrist checks. God forbid even thinking of a discussion of modding, or somehow altering a gen piece, short of a Seiko...

I've sold a few watches using TZ, I believe that their sales forum probably has more folks looking than any if the other gen sales forums.

AFA the Rolex forum, never got interested, like "the Rolex Forum" the conversations are generally inane and a waste of time. How many times can you endure, WOW, beautiful watch, Love your watch,etc, all over a stock run of the mill 16610, of which probably millions have been produced!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've sold a few watches using TZ, I believe that their sales forum probably has more folks looking than any if the other gen sales forums.

AFA the Rolex forum, never got interested, like "the Rolex Forum" the conversations are generally inane and a waste of time. How many times can you endure, WOW, beautiful watch, Love your watch,etc, all over a stock run of the mill 16610, of which probably millions have been produced!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

+1 so true

I agree with F333.  WUS is going the same direction as well.

That is why RWG is the best "Watch" forum.  Rep, Gen, Franken, modder and makers welcome. 

It is interesting how outside the "Watch World" concepts like "Maker" or Hacker Spaces are gaining in popularity.  The Etsy, Kickstarter, indie mentality of "build, make, restore, build" something is alive and well.  From modding PS3's, building things with Arduino or Rasberry Pi devices, "Hackintosh", the list goes on.

Yet in the boring old world of Genuine Watch forums, god forbid you talk about anything like that- BAN!  The ONLY thing the Gen Forums are good for is the For Sale section. 

At the end of the day, a watch is a "physical good" that you buy, own, or do a Johnny Cash and build it "One Piece at a Time".  If your 1575 powered Rolex dies and you want to replace the movement with an "ant powered hamster cage", so be it.

TZ and VRF, with their ancient format are irritating to say the least. Purists is like that too. VRF has amazing info but good luck finding it.

Hehehe. Their choice of forum software says it all. They are stuck almost 2 decades in the past. I have a vision of VRF running on an old Compaq Proliant Pentium II server with SCSI drives. LOL.

• Like 1

The Rolex Forum is the funniest of them all. There are some good people of course but most of the membership are some nerdy department head-types who think that buying a Rolex has finally made them a "worthier person".

geek2.jpg

• Like 1

I still like TZ for some things...once and awhile a good deal on a gen or nice strap...the brand specific forums are good to see new watches...some interesting travel stories/photo shoots are manufacturers sites or shows... And watch reviews. I even wrote one once...

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=5850321&rid=0#msg_5850321

I agree though the new watch wrist shots and predictable comments grow old quickly...