When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1675 Parts Shopping List Help

ceejay

I have to build myself a 1675 so I need to get shopping!

I think I am capable of doing the CG mods myseld so need a cartel 1655, is this the one I need... http://www.p-cls.com/00rlex00102-vintage-explorer-1655-ssss-asian-2813-p-9157.html

Onto the movement, the model above comes with the asian (DG?) 2813, is the swiss 2836 a more reliable movement to go for?

Do any of these have the CHS?

Clarks bezel assembly

Gen insert

Ingod or gen dial & hands

Gen plexi

Gen/rep crown, is the 6mm still the one to go for or will a 5.3mm look ok?

What are my options for the case back apart from Yuki?

Also what is the correct date wheel overlay and are they available at the moment?

Bracelet/strap will come later.

Cheers, I am really looking forward to putting this together ;)

both the DG 3804 or the ETA 2846 with the GMT module   are the correct movements for the 1675. both are slow beat. Either would do, the DG3804 would be a new movement, the 2846 will definitely be old, as they haven't been produced for 20+ years. Would most definitely require a service.

Both of these movements are the CHS for the 1675 as the 1675 employed the old conventional GMT, Hour, Minute, Seconds hand stack.

AFA the crown, the correct crown for the 1675 is a 5.3mm. Unfortunately, the rep cases that are economically available are all set up for a 6mm crown, so the 5.3 won't look right, as there will be too much space between the crown and the crownguards. Sad to say, this to me is the biggest tell with a rep 1675/16750. Anyone who is really familiar with or has owned a gen 1675 or 16750 can tell at a glance that it's a rep if you use a 6mm crown or a 5.3mm in the case that's made for a 6mm. Not sure there is a workaround for this short of having someone laser weld and build up the insides of the crown guards, and then reshape them.

"What are my options for the case back apart from Yuki?"

I see projects as one of two types...

Will it pass for genuine inside and out. Very, very hard to accomplish and very expensive.

Will it pass for genuine on the outside only. Not nearly as hard to accomplish and fairly affordable.

So...assuming you are making an 'outside' watch, you can probably scare up a suitable low buck caseback but it might not be correctly signed inside and might need a little modifying.

Same goes for the case between the lugs...wrong reference number/serial number is Ok as long as the bracelet stays on. With a cartel 1655 case, this is 'the case' already.

'outside tell' test =

Does it pass at first glance from a few feet away?  Not hard to accomplish and a very reasonable/affordable goal. 

Does it pass an up close eyeball test?  Harder but still relatively easy and affordable.

Does it pass under a 5X loupe?  A lot harder to do. Getting into $$. The IG44 dial will help a lot.

Does it pass a 10X loupe test?  Very hard to do. Probably need some genuine stuff to pass, especially the dial. Takes mucho $$.

A watch that will pass the 'inside and outside' tell test will have a return on investment about the same as an ice sculpture.  :pimp:

Thanks for the replies guys.

I am waiting on an answer from Raffles regarding the DG movement as it doesn't seem to be in stock at the moment. This will be the movement I will go with.

I will go with the 6mm crown, doing major works to make the 5.3mm look right is beyond my scope.

I will go with the Ingod44 dial...can someone point me to the right one for this model? http://www.ingod44.com/rolex-gmt-master/

Are the Raffletime GMT hands any good?

I suppose the look I would like according to automatico's guide is the "does it pass the close up eyebal test"

Thanks again.

I have to build myself a 1675 so I need to get shopping!

I think I am capable of doing the CG mods myseld so need a cartel 1655, is this the one I need... http://www.p-cls.com/00rlex00102-vintage-explorer-1655-ssss-asian-2813-p-9157.html

Onto the movement, the model above comes with the asian (DG?) 2813, is the swiss 2836 a more reliable movement to go for?

Do any of these have the CHS?

Clarks bezel assembly

Gen insert

Ingod or gen dial & hands

Gen plexi

Gen/rep crown, is the 6mm still the one to go for or will a 5.3mm look ok?

What are my options for the case back apart from Yuki?

Also what is the correct date wheel overlay and are they available at the moment?

Bracelet/strap will come later.

Cheers, I am really looking forward to putting this together ;)

I have a ETA GMT and two of those DG movements if you are interested. I gave up trying to build this watch, I have a gen Dial too. I am too picky for this one. my main issue was the alignment of the dial, there is little room if not any for error.

Good luck with your build

I don't know why both Perfect Clones and Trusty Time call the movement a DG2813, I received two and they surely look like DG3804B movements to me. 

The caseback from Rafflestime is the correct one, according to RolexAddict and many others here. The hands from Rafflestime are rounded rather than curved, so I'd find the curved ones. Maybe Helenarou(sp?). 

The date wheel overlay that came with my 1655 from Trusty/Andrew was 'stepped', and it clipped in, which I had not seen before. It made the date wheel overlay easy to make and easier to align. I printed it using the one posted on the site, http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/150660-vintage-dwos/?hl=+overlay using a clear inkjet sticker. Use your photo program to size it to the overlay, print, cut it out and stick it on. Then adjust a few(Lol!) times!

I used Clark's bezel, insert and crystal. And I used a 5.3mm genuine crown.post-16926-0-16567000-1379017809_thumb.jpost-16926-0-22124400-1379017836_thumb.jpost-16926-0-96138100-1379017859_thumb.jpost-16926-0-28134100-1379017871_thumb.jpost-16926-0-29617600-1379018437_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

Guys, I think I may have made an omission in my parts.

I ordered the bezel assembly from WSO but it's missing the clicking part. It came with just the bezel with the insert and a very thin washer.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but do your builds have a rotating bezel or are they glued into position?

As for the build, it's coming along nicely. Case has been reshaped and polished. Dial and hands are next to be ordered. That 'cornino' thin GMT hand is bloody expensive!

• 2 months later...

Mines finished and performing well :)

I have not had hands on experience with the cartel 1675 case, but it has been said many times it is too deep for an accurate 1675 build.

You have to make the decision between most accurate which equals more expensive. This is the cartel 1655 case build. Or go for the cheaper but less accurate cartel 1675 build.