When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage 1958 IWC

sputim

Since my grandfather knows about my interest in watches he showed me his most favorite dress watch. It s an IWC he bought back in 1958 at IWC factory in Schaffhausen itself. It used to have a leather band but he had it changed to a gen gold mesh strap many many years ago. I only know it s handwound and that it works since ever he has it. Crystal is plexi but not one single scratch since he only wears it for a night out. Maybe someone of you guys know more about the model or the movement specs. Would be interesting!

Enjoy the pic ;)

post-50919-0-75110800-1379265540_thumb.j

That's a beauty. I know nothing about IWC, but that's how I got into watches too. My grandfather had an ancient rectangular piece with a high plexi crystal and that got me hooked.

Very nice!

• Like 1

That is a beautiful piece.  I collect vintage IWC's and have one almost the same in red gold.  I believe your watch is a reference 521 but I could be wrong, mine has the ribbon lugs but not the domed bezel; regardless it does have a caliber 89 movement, which is excellent.  I would agree with the suggestion of going to IWC's website and joining the forum, they have a vintage section where you can post your photo and get comments.

Edited by tictoc21

Man thats a nice one. Does the buckle have any iwc writing on it. Real nice.

Yes it has but not comparable to newer models. Unfortunately i didn't take a picture of that.

That is a beautiful piece. I collect vintage IWC's and have one almost the same in red gold. I believe your watch is a reference 521 but I could be wrong, mine has the ribbon lugs but not the domed bezel; regardless it does have a caliber 89 movement, which is excellent. I would agree with the suggestion of going to IWC's website and joining the forum, they have a vintage section where you can post your photo and get comments.

I was told that the lugs look like that cause the watch originally came on a leather strap. It was my grandfather who changed to the milanese mesh. That's why your lugs are different most probably. Thanks for the info about the calibre I definitely read about it. Moreover thanks for your tips about the IWC forum. Honestly I don't care about its worth I rather wanna share this beauty and get to know more about it. Thank you guys for your comments and helpful inputs!

• 3 weeks later...

Cool, :) I'm researching Cal 89 IWCs at the moment. I love the dial with IWC's company name written out completely. I'm in the market for a SS version with silver dial. 

Looking at the lugs, this seems to be a pretty early example. Maybe it has been manfactured way earlier than your grandfather bought it, I'm assuming later 40s, early 50s.  

Edit: I was wrong, here's a vintage catalogue page from 1957. It seems to be a Ref 521 with luminous hands. Gorgeous piece!

http://www.iwcforum.com/Catalogs/1957/0000002.jpg