When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Loose Date Wheel A2836

chango

• 3 months later...

I feel your pain, I am currently looking for some guidance regarding a loose date wheel in an Explorer II I have in for repair.  Its secured, and located correctly, and works as intended, but its loose, and pops out every so often, so much so, I am not even going to fit the overlay, dial etc.  Need to figure out how to secure it.

I'd also look into changing the clone date wheel to gen ETA. At least check yours very good with a loupe.

The Zigmeister did a good tutorial post specifically on how bad some of the Asian date wheels are. Maybe try searching for that for more information.

I'd also look into changing the clone date wheel to gen ETA. At least check yours very good with a loupe.

The Zigmeister did a good tutorial post specifically on how bad some of the Asian date wheels are. Maybe try searching for that for more information.

Thanks, I am still looking into the options available to me on this movement.  Its an odd issue thats for sure.  Everything fitted as it should, and everything works as it should, and then suddenly the spring will dislodge, and rest under the date wheel.

If I apply light pressure to the date wheel, then all is fine and dandy, and whilst this may point to a temp solution of using expanding bonding on the overlay, creating that downward pressure from the fitted dial, things would work, but I would not be happy with this solution, and consider it a bodge, so looking to getting this done right.  ETA parts are my next port of call though thats for sure.

Thanks, I am still looking into the options available to me on this movement. Its an odd issue thats for sure. Everything fitted as it should, and everything works as it should, and then suddenly the spring will dislodge, and rest under the date wheel. If I apply light pressure to the date wheel, then all is fine and dandy, and whilst this may point to a temp solution of using expanding bonding on the overlay, creating that downward pressure from the fitted dial, things would work, but I would not be happy with this solution, and consider it a bodge, so looking to getting this done right. ETA parts are my next port of call though thats for sure.
Is the rep dw possibly thinner and spring will slip?

If you want to send it to me I think I can fix it for you. So hard to diagnose when you're not looking at it. Im willing to bet it's something very simple. The bracket, or bridge that holds part umber 2784 in place, is also responsible for holding the calandor wheel down. Make sure it's not bent or loose. Also part number 462 gets bent up on the lip, that will let the date disc move to the left, and pop up.

Edited by mymanmatt

Is the rep dw possibly thinner and spring will slip?

Possibly, I imagine this has been the case straight from the factory, and the only thing holding things together was the dial, which had come loose too.

If you want to send it to me I think I can fix it for you. So hard to diagnose when you're not looking at it. Im willing to bet it's something very simple. The bracket, or bridge that holds part umber 2784 in place, is also responsible for holding the calandor wheel down. Make sure it's not bent or loose. Also part number 462 gets bent up on the lip, that will let the date disc move to the left, and pop up.

Thanks for the offer my friend, but I've got this ;)