When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watchmeister V3.0 Vintage Datewheels

ubiquitous

Well said both posts above. In Randy we trust :D

Many of us here know all about and have debated the merits and accuracy of white vs. silver, flat-top 3s vs. round 3s, service swapouts, and which is better for 1680s and 1665s. This is what Ubi, Archibald et al are all working from.

@ Bodo (tempting to swapout a letter 'Z' there), if you have any more comments or slightly inaccurate facts you feel honour-bound to share with us in that slightly condescending tone of yours, then please feel free...but you're not making any friends doing so <_<

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Final production is happening this week, I'm told. But as I posted before, these babies are made in not one, but 2 state-of-the-art shops, at which 100 DW's is a miniscule job and at which I had to beg, bribe, and sweet-talk them into even doing our thing. They fit us in when they can fit us in between "real" jobs, but so far they've been withing a couple days of their ETA's.

Bottom line: Final production approaches; then it's just pulling out a few random samples to test. When those pass, we'll take orders and start shipping.

Final production is happening this week, I'm told. But as I posted before, these babies are made in not one, but 2 state-of-the-art shops, at which 100 DW's is a miniscule job and at which I had to beg, bribe, and sweet-talk them into even doing our thing. They fit us in when they can fit us in between "real" jobs, but so far they've been withing a couple days of their ETA's.

Bottom line: Final production approaches; then it's just pulling out a few random samples to test. When those pass, we'll take orders and start shipping.

Obviously they are not Vintage MBW wearing types.... :p

Obviously they are not Vintage MBW wearing types.... :p

Wanna hear something funny? About 5 minutes into my initial explanation of what we wanted I realized that he had no clue what a mechanical watch's datewheel looked like. His idea of a watch was flashing LED numbers separated by a colon. I had to send him pics.

That's one of the problems with these projects that anyone attemping one should keep in mind. The guys who do the work for us are experts at what they do, but don't know diddly about watches. We know a good bit about watches but we have a 50-50 chance of telling a CO2 Laser engraver from a Thermal Dye Sublimation Printer. 75% of the battle is arriving at a language to communicate clearly. To this day, one of the shops refers to the DW's as "dials" and so do I so I know we're always talking about the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: I bet you guys are wondering where the hell these things are. Where they are is @ ubi's house. What they are is cut to within .003mm tolerance...to exactly the wrong size, thanks to an unbelievably stupid mistake on my part. The shaping and cutting of the wheels relies on a file sent to one of the machines, and rushing out of the house I sent them the file used for a different movement, so that's exactly the size they were made. Wrong.

The good news is that I'm 100% sure they have the right file, that they will be redone shortly after Xmas, and that I am using the brief delay to make an improvement that will make the already easy intallation even easier.

Once again, my apologies and a big thanks for your patience...