When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Big Gonzo build

Nanuq

For your viewing pleasure, the Big Gonzo build is finally done.

post-32-138161212591.jpg

Thanks to cc33, Denimhead, Big Dazza, Deiselpower and Ziggy, now I can just enjoy it.

For now ... this is Phase-1. ;)

• Like 1

Freddy, believe it or not that case (came from me, Minh case) has already been aged, the bevels are not sharp anymore and are much less visible. I guess it needs a little more of what Nanuq does best, ageing, which he will do I'm sure. Look at what a new case looks like and here's a pic from a recent sale of a big crown, the case is still sharp but dial has heavy patina, lots of them got water/moisture damage at one time but that really doesn't affect the case.

post-38788-0-47874600-1381618278_thumb.j

post-38788-0-07014400-1381618299_thumb.j

The theme behind this one is subtlety. it's very hard to capture with the camera, but the case has what appears to be decades of mars and dings, mostly polished out during service. Mostly ... there are still dings all over it but you have to get the light reflecting just right to see them. Held in the hand it feels right, that intangible something when all the details fall together.

Viewed through the crystal the dial appears nearly identical to my 6536, save the depth rating and lack of residual gloss. Removing the crystal lets one angle the light to maximize the visibility of the damage.

post-32-138161951988.jpg

post-32-138161953417.jpg

The one things that still bugs me is the tip of the hours hand. Argh.

Let the detail ageing and fine tuning begin! This is day-one.

the case has what appears to be decades of mars and dings, mostly polished out during service. Mostly ... there are still dings all over it but you have to get the light reflecting just right to see them. Held in the hand it feels right, that intangible something when all the details fall together.

It is the (still) crispness of the case (& crown) edging that does not fit with the dial. At the very least, I would go at the entire edging of the case (& crown) with a fine file & then use a steel brush Dremel wheel to round/smooth things out. With your 'gentle' touch & usual vintaging technique, it ought to turn out just right. ;)

• Like 1

Now I'm on the hunt for pieces to create Phase-two.

• Gen slate grey insert,

• Tropic 17 (already found one for $600) or Tropic-19 with a vintage profile,

• The Mother of All Dials. Yeah that's right buddy, I'm looking at you. ;)

Yeah I bought a tropic-16 and tropic-17 like that, in wax paper envelopes. The one I got the $600 price for is doubtless the same.

I think I'll have to find a Sternkreutz with the same dimensions as a t-19 and thinner, more curved dome. That's the ticket.

This watch is joining my stable as a workhorse; it's going to see a lot of rough duty and water. So I wanted it to be tough, yet visually accurate.

I chose not to go with a gen movement because I didn't want to be afraid of hurting it when it inevitably floods.

So the pieces are:

Minh Quy case set,
Mystery bezel (it came with the case),
ETA 2846 movement,
Minh Quy "best quality" $300 dial (he also sells a $1,000 dial that's not significantly better),
CWP gilt hands for ETA with big bubble,
Yuki movement adapter ring,
Gen t-19 service dome crystal,
Minh Quy riveted oyster 7206.

From the spec sheets it was supposed to drop together effortlessly. :rofl:

The dial had feet for a 1030 movement so they were cut off and dial dots used. But that added thickness and caused a stem height issue. I looked at 2892 movements instead, as the stem is 0.7mm higher. In the end I used the venerable workhorse 2846. Ziggy did the build and he had to machine the case to make the stem align. Yep I'm committed to using ETAs now, I'm fine with that.

The Yuki spacer ring was a joke. It's spec'd for a gen case, but wouldn't go in the MQ. Then it broke in half. Ziggy machined a custom ring for it.

The dial and hands got the Big Dazza ageing and lume, Then I had Ziggy relume them to a whiter shade of pale to match my 6536.

Yuki is sold out of his oh-so-nice early 7206s, but MQ sells a "best quality" piece that's nearly the same for $280. The one I got was an absolute piece of crap. I spent a lot of time shaping it up and it's pretty good now. Squinky sells a 7206 clone on eBay that's WAY better quality.

What did I learn? The contemporary homage parts houses are now where the auto industry was 50 years ago. With old cars you "fit" parts, you don't "install" them. Having Ziggy do the build was key, as he's a true watchmaker and has the skills to build parts from scratch, or correct existing ones.

Thanks for reading!

I thought this was a thread about Ted Nugent... :)

Not some old rubbish Rolex ....

That some bear will end up nicking...

;)