When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watchwinder operating options

martijnp

Hi guys,

I've got a watchwinder. Now I was wondering, do you let it wind for 24/7 or do you take the power off during the night? 

My winder got these operating options:

1. Rotation about 1 minute 25 seconds clockwise, about 14 minutes 35 seconds break, etc (900 revolutions / day)

2. Rotation about 1 minute 25 seconds counter clockwise, about 14 minutes 35 seconds break, etc (900 revolutions / day)

3. Rotation about 1 minute 25 seconds clockwise, about 7 minutes 5 seconds break, 1 minute 25 seconds counter clockwise rotation, about 7 minutes 5 seconds break, etc. (1700 revolutions / day)

4. 4 hours alternately: about 1 minute 25 seconds clockwise, 3 minutes 35 seconds break, 1 minute 25 seconds counter clockwise, 3 minutes 35 seconds break. 8 hours break, etc. (900 revolutions / day)

What is the best option?

Thanks in advance!

I used to put my watches (both gen and rep) in a winder and keep them rotating all day and night. 

I know there are mixed views about this, but I no longer use a winder for them as I believe from research that it stresses the movement and increases wear on the parts of the watches. Now, they still stay in the winder, but with the power switched off. ;)

This is a debatable issue, and there are mixed opinions on this. Also, there are various settings for different movement types. For example, the ETA 2824 and the A7750 uses different rotation types. I forgot which direction/revolution speed to use, as it has been a while, but I know a lot of members here would be able to assist you.

Sorry if my reply is not directly relevant to your question. A sincere apology if you feel different to what I mentioned. 

I have a few in my winder, not obsessive about it, but it helps with the watches that are difficult to set, like the old non quickset Rolexes. Mine stays on all the time. Most important is to look up the data and see which rotation pattern fits your movement. Some watches wind in both dire4ctions, some will only wind in one. If yours is unidirectional, the bi directional rotation will only be working 50% of the time, probably not enough to keep your watch wound. Another thing, the watch needs to be wound well before placing in the winder. A run down movement will not get enough rotations to really keep the power reserve up.

Link to site for specific movements Mart  :) http://www.watchesandreviews.com/2013/01/watch-wind-guide.html

Gotta say I leave mine on the winder all the time, well the ones I have space for  ;)  I love my winder but I'm a lazy arse when it comes to setting dates etc, as the guys have said already mixed opinions about them but better when movements serviced and yes def wind them properly before you use one!

I am in the Legend camp on this, do not use anymore. And yes like him aware of different views but came to same conclusion after researching.

Mike, with a wrist like yours and the bracelets you seem to favor, the watches would be too loose for the winder cushions would they not :D

Thanks guys for all the input! 

Now most of my watches are A7750, so 900 revolutions per day would be enough. Option one and two would be good. Because the direction doesn't matter for the A7750 movement..

At this moment I've got also some quartz movements in the winder, because I had so much empty slots :p

I just have the one setting for all of them......

I just tell her to keep them wound and if they aint she gets the back of my hand....

;)

• Like 1

On my winder all the programs are bi directional, so I have to have it set to max turns per day to keep everything wound.

I leave it on 24/7 in the bedroom and its nice and quiet.

It can have different programs and one of these days I'll find out how to change the program so it can do clockwise only or anticlockwise only.