When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best way to ship a $5000 Franken from Norway to South California

That's a tough one. I would do lots of research before it gets shipped. Problem with the shipping companies, they are really vague about what they will insure when it comes to high dollar items. I would surely use the premium service if available, such as FedEx overnight, or UPS overnight. It's going to cost a bunch, but if you lose that watch, someone is going to be out a pile of money!! Before shipping make sure you and the seller are on the same page with everything. Have him take several photos of the watch, the watch in the packing box, and then after the box is sealed and ready to ship. Photos with the address label, and customs declaration form, to establish that is the same box.

I would declare it for it's full value and have it insured for that amount, as in most cases, you can only buy insurance up to the amount of the declared value. The seller needs to treat this as a genuine watch, not a 200 USD rep. He really should find out which of the shipping companies will ship high value items with full insurance. Some will tell you, "Sure we will insure it for up to 25K, but if it gets lost, they show you that minute print clause that says watches and jewelry are only insurable up to 500 USD. I know that watch and jewelry dealers have special companies that write insurance for high value items. Things get shipped all the time, every watch, diamond ring, bracelet, etc. has to be shipped, probably multiple times, from the manufacturer to the selling dealer. Someone is insuring that stuff every step of the way, you just need to find out who and if it's available to individuals.

• Like 2

Now that is very sound advice. I would follow that process personally. I also know that I would be in for gst/vat or your local variant of sales tax. (If it was coming to nz that is) check before you ship. Check check check

sent from my smart phone whilst sitting on the toilet

With vintage watches i get them packed and sent registered mail marked as an old watch i do this with gen watch parts too and no issues to my country i have purchased a franken rep and marked it this way again no issues

Buy a plane ticket and get it on your wrist. ....safest way ever! Norway is a lovely country, go do some sight seeing. North Cape, you won't regret it!

Soooooo, you boughta watch...pics or it didn't happen! It's valtys genenstein?

My guess... a franken Zenith Daytona.

Third party insurer.  That's what jewelry pros do. 

What he said.  The Rolex AD here sends watches to Seattle "all the time" in unmarked packages.  They quoted $25 to send mine for a pressure test at the BIG tester in Seattle.

A friend in Seattle owns a gem business and he says the same about loose diamonds.  They anonymously mail them everywhere, all the time, and never have trouble.

Maybe your local Norwegian gemologist can mail it for you to a contact in the USA?  That's how I got my last revolver sent over.

As others have said, it is a tough call &, ultimately, you have to choose from a set of less than optimal options.

Technically, the safest method is Registered Mail with the package insured for the actual value of the contents (that is what Rolex recommends to customers shipping watches to them for service). However, in reality, it is probably best to have the watch in the possession of the shipper for the least amount of time & to draw as little attention to the package as possible. So overnight shipping with a low value/insurance will tend to draw less attention from thieves. Of course, if the package is lost or stopped by customs, you could have problems.

My rule of thumb is that unless the person you are shipping to requests otherwise, I generally ship gens via Registered Mail/full value & non-gens overnight with $25 value/insurance.

Life is a gamble & sometimes, you just have to roll the dice.

• Like 1