When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Coolest sports car ever

By-Tor

Without a doubt 993 Turbo is the coolest Porsche ever made... and in my opinion, the best looking sports car ever made as well.

You can disagree of course, but that only makes you a disagreeable fellow... not really entitled to your opinion. :D

I just test drove one today and I think I need one.

993turbo.jpg3896645023_9db6cfefa1.jpg

993+Turbo.jpg

porsche-993-turbo-s-c828231082013143407_

image_04.jpg

• Like 1

Coolest Porsche? Maybe! I am a big fan of the traditional 930 personally.

Coolest sports car? Lamborghini may have an opinion on that. ;)

post-53033-138266316352.jpg

post-53033-138266317566.jpg

post-53033-138266318883.jpg

At least you know you can buy a Porsche and be fairly confident of arriving at your destination without requiring the fire department, a flat bed truck or a taxi. =)

Lambos are amazing cars of course... and performance wise they're in the league of their own. But personally I've never liked them.

They're just "too much" like blingy diamond watches. And they look like Batmobiles. :D Some Ferraris fall into this category too... like F40. I know its merits and all that, but it's still hard to see the attraction.

I'd take a Ferrari 348 any day though. That would be even realistic to obtain... but I'm not sure if I'm willing to live with one (and its problems).

These are all great cars, but the coolest has got to be this

attachicon.gif1972-Ferrari-GTB-4-Daytona.jpg

1972 Ferrari GTB-4 Daytona

With runner-ups being 1st gen Jaguar E-Type & Mercedes SL55 W230

Oh yeah... Daytona. Nice car if you have 200.000€ extra. :)

The replica Spyder wasn't too bad, either. Who still remembers this one? A classic.

and this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkJvfET2-L0

• Like 1

Unless you have a pot load of money, and are fairly close to a dealer, I would stick with the Porsche. Beautiful car, and as was said, doesn't look like a Batmobile.

I gave up on non US cars several years ago. I've owned three BMW's a Mercedes,Porsche and three Range Rovers. My problem is the closest dealers are almost 100 miles away. No matter how good they are ( and the first two RR's were not!!) they all require service. I got tired of driving to the dealer sitting all day, only to be told my vehicle wouldn't be ready by closing time, drive home in a rental or dealer loaner, drive back the next day or the day after, pick up my vehicle and drive home. Two wasted days and 200 extra miles. Now my wife drives a Lincoln SUV and I drive a Ford F-150!!. She,s lusting after a new vehicle though, and her two favorites are the Mercedes GL 450 and the BMW X-3 or X-5, so I may be back in the same situation as before!

Speaking of beautiful Porsches, the classic old SC takes the cake. If I bought one, I'd definitely want it without the wing.

It's not particularly fast anymore by today's standards but who gives a shit. It's just well... a classic. And not difficult and expensive to maintain, either.

Online_MG_4865_01.jpg

And of course, the 928 GTS. A car that Mercedes chairman once called "the best car ever made".

928gts_94.jpg

Check out how expensive the late model, low mileage 928 GTS's are getting.

http://suchen.mobile.de/auto-inserat/porsche-928-gts-forzheim/185683999.html

I wish I had a boatload of money and a big garage. :D

panerai - I feel for you. In my youth, I trained as a Jaguar mechanic & the dealership I apprenticed at also sold Land Rover, so I know what you mean. That said, Jags, if rebuilt correctly & not used as daily drivers, can be reliable cars (mine was) & I have had 0 problems in the years I have owned the 'Benz.

I gave up on non US cars several years ago.

I have a similar opinion. Other than the inevitable 911 when I turn 40, I'll never own a non Japanese car.

I've got 300,000kms on my MX5 and the only significant thing I've done is replace the clutch once. Not bad seeing as I take it on the track. And the extra bonus is that I get better fuel efficiency than my boss pottering around in his Prius... :)

post-53033-138266623771.jpg

And yes, it's also my tow car for the race bike. ;)

Agreed. That's a classic Porsche if I see one.

@Freddy: Since you're a British car guy... what do you think about the 1997-2004 Jaguar XK8? I think it's damn nice looking car.

They're not expensive to buy. But are they train wrecks waiting to happen like the old XJ's?

2003-Jaguar-XKR-Coupe-V2-1080.jpg

panerai - I feel for you. In my youth, I trained as a Jaguar mechanic & the dealership I apprenticed at also sold Land Rover, so I know what you mean. That said, Jags, if rebuilt correctly & not used as daily drivers, can be reliable cars (mine was) & I have had 0 problems in the years I have owned the 'Benz.

All the old Rovers used Lucas electrical components didn't call Lucas " the Prince of Darkness" for nothing!!

AFA Jaguar, I always was a sucker for the old XK's and the E type. Never owned one though. A friend of mine went into the Jaguar dealership in New Orleans about 25 years ago, a pretty well off Cotton Farmer with a real desire to own a Jag. He walked into the dealership and was looking around, pretty soon a salesman showed up and asked if he could be of help. My friend said he was interested in a Jaguar. But, he said, I have a question? " why do all the cars in the showroom have a paper mat under the car"? Well, the salesman answered, it's to catch the oil leaks. All Jaguars leak oil, it's just something owners have to put up with. My friend decided at that point that maybe he needed to look elsewhere, as he could imagine the hell he would catch from his wife if their were oil stains on their nice new garage floor. He ended up buying a BMW.

All the old Rovers used Lucas electrical components didn't call Lucas " the Prince of Darkness" for nothing!!

We had a saying here in Scandinavia that if you show a white sheet to an English car in July, they think it's winter and refuse to start. :D

Marshall made some awful electrics too. 20 years ago I had a Peugeot 505 STI with Marshall electrics. That car was a pleasure to drive but damn the electrics were a nightmare. The fuse box looked like a cheap toy... and there were constant problems. Old Frenchies rusted very easily as well.

Speaking of oil leaks, almost all old 911's leak oil too.

@Freddy: Since you're a British car guy... what do you think about the 1997-2004 Jaguar XK8? I think it's damn nice looking car.

They're not expensive to buy. But are they train wrecks waiting to happen like the old XJ's?

I agree about the XK8 being a beauty, but, unfortunately, Jag has only just recently begun to improve their build quality. Still nowhere near what I would call a reliable set of wheels, but an order of magnitude better than they were in the 70s, when Leyland (Jag's parent company & the GM of Britain at the time) was plagued with strikes, in-fighting between sister brands & constant battles with ever-moving US emissions/fuel effiency/safety laws (which were what ultimately killed the XKE along with many other famous British marques).

AFA Jaguar, I always was a sucker for the old XK's and the E type. Never owned one though. A friend of mine went into the Jaguar dealership in New Orleans about 25 years ago, a pretty well off Cotton Farmer with a real desire to own a Jag. He walked into the dealership and was looking around, pretty soon a salesman showed up and asked if he could be of help. My friend said he was interested in a Jaguar. But, he said, I have a question? " why do all the cars in the showroom have a paper mat under the car"? Well, the salesman answered, it's to catch the oil leaks. All Jaguars leak oil, it's just something owners have to put up with. My friend decided at that point that maybe he needed to look elsewhere, as he could imagine the hell he would catch from his wife if their were oil stains on their nice new garage floor. He ended up buying a BMW.

For whatever it is worth, although they tend not to spot the floor as much as Jags, Audi considers burning a quart of oil/week within specs for most of their cars.

Guys, all above cars listed are very nice indeed. But come on, you get all this style, power and all with No Gas!

http://www.bargainteers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/2012-Tesla-Model-S-passengers-side-front-three-quarters.jpg

:)

Dave...

Edited by Aero_Dave

These are getting awfully expensive, at least here in Europe. And I fully understand why. Can you imagine ANY of today's cars look so beautiful and timeless 40 years from now? I mean like the Classic 60's Merc SL, Mustang '65 Fastback, BMW CS or Porsche 911?

There's no way.

• Like 1

I love Porsches, they're the ultimate Autobahn mile-muncher and incredibly well made.

Though I feel I need to back-up the good ol' British brands. None more so than the quintessentially British Aston Martin (I'm sure AJ will back me up here :))

One of the most beautiful modern GT cars. Muscular with classic flowing lines;

post-54684-0-51272500-1382685704_thumb.jpost-54684-0-93036800-1382685712_thumb.jpost-54684-0-68248800-1382685722_thumb.jpost-54684-0-40949900-1382685730_thumb.jpost-54684-0-56068800-1382685958_thumb.j