When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Daytona: anything wrong with this rep ?

alterego

Hi fellow members: I have a question that's open to anyone who is willing to help me judge the accuracy and quality of my Daytona. In you opinion, what right and wrong with this replica ? Please, fel free to very very honest in your comments. 

All I want to know is if this is a fair replica of the classic original that can fetch up to 30 k in auctions around the world.

I can¡t wait to hear from you.

Best.

post-1234-0-27881500-1383588000_thumb.jp

post-1234-0-24296000-1383588034_thumb.jp

post-1234-0-42266300-1383588081_thumb.jp

post-1234-0-56943800-1383588121_thumb.jp

Ehhhh... Where to begin.

I hate to be blunt, but... All of it is pretty off.

Can you be more explicit ?   I noticed the crown is oversized, the strap is not right and the dial looks pretty cheap. But I guess there are a lot of other things that I cannot "see." Pleaser, don't be bashful. I'm not the type of person who will trake comments as personal offense.

Thanks again for your comments

To put the above comments in prospective:

Anyone with a bit of knowledge about vintage Daytonas will know it's a rep.

However, even if you triple your current investment you wont be fooling those.

So unless you're willing to put your wallet to the test - I'd say enjoy the watch!

If you want to get serious - you'll need a whole set up in place.

I'll try to be specific.  The biggest flaws to my eyes are on the dial.  The size, spacing, and shape of the fonts are glaringly inaccurate and look wrong at a quick glance. 

The inaccuracies of the pushers, crown, case, bracelet, &c. are minor by comparison.  It's crucial to have a convincing dial. 

I believe that arika has hit the nail on the head. What you are getting for a 200-500.00 USD Rep either cartel or DW is just that, a 200-500 USD rep. The biggest problem with Daytona reps is you have to follow this motto "go big or go home" !! To build a really outstanding rep Daytona, you are going to have to be willing to spend thousands of dollars, yes that's correct thousands, not hundreds. Better case, better dial, V72 movement, genuine crystal, hands, crown/tube. I'm in the midst of trying to decide if I want to go ahead with a upper end Daytona build, after looking at the prices for parts, I'm just not sure I want to proceed. It's not for the faint of heart. Another consideration, if you spend 5-8k on a really nice build, you had better love it to death do us part, because from looking at the sales threads, those super frankens don't sell easily or often. Quite often the owner ends up breaking the watch up and selling off the parts, just to get some of his money back.

So like arika said, wear this one, and enjoy it. If you are truly  a Daytona fanatic, after much research, then decide if you want to build something nicer.

Also, a good IPhone, IPad app is one called iDaytona. very good photos of the various vintage Daytona models along with descriptions.

To make a reasonably accurate Newman would require expertise, time & money (mostly for r&d). Some years ago, on behalf of DW, I posted a thread asking whether people would be willing to pay several hundred $ for a 62xx. This was based on a DW 6263 that I had modded, which DW was considering copying for sale. Unfortunately, at the time, DW felt there was insufficient interest to make such a project profitable.

To make a reasonably accurate Newman would require expertise, time & money (mostly for r&d). Some years ago, on behalf of DW, I posted a thread asking whether people would be willing to pay several hundred $ for a 62xx. This was based on a DW 6263 that I had modded, which DW was considering copying for sale. Unfortunately, at the time, DW felt there was insufficient interest to make such a project profitable.

freddy,

It's too bad this project never got off the ground, although since 2007, DW has produced some pretty good stuff, just so inconsistent, and of course now, he has disappeared from the forums(again). He does have and EBay store, but I went there a few days ago, and he doesn't have any Daytona stuff, only his Tudor Monte Carlo case set and some parts.

I have no idea what the price of the watch you were showing would be today, since that was 2007, over 6 years back. It would sure beat trying to assemble one from parts however, if the price was reasonable.

Wonder where the OP got the watch pictured above? I can't quite figure out why the Minute totalizer spears to be running? It looks like the pushers are screwed in so it shouldn't be running, unless the owner turned the chrono on and then screwed the pushers down.

I think the vintage daytona is a beautiful piece...however, that being said...the biggest flaws on your rep are as follows: The "ROLEX" and type below it, are wayyyyyyyy too big. The subdial needles are wayy too thick also. I have seen the correct dial on certain rep sites. for some reason, most rep sites sell both the correct dial and incorrect dial...

Thank you all for your comments on my Daytona. In fact, your remarks are a great starting point to turn this copy into a better replica. I have never been very fond of the Daytona, but the vintage version somehow made me change my mind about this classic. I know I need a new dial -would someone

Thank you all for your comments on m,y Daytona.  This information has made me consider improve this copy, so as to bring it a little closer to the original.  i think I can live with the bracelet and crystal, but I definitely need to do something about the dial, the crown and sub second hands. I will not reveal the name of the dealer I got the watch from, but it's one of the most trusted dealers in this and other forums. It seems the Daytona with a Venus movement is the one with cheap dial and crown. I saw some other versions (not the white Panda with black subs) with 7750 movements sporting a much more credible dial, but that's been all I¡'ve done sofar. I'll keep you posted about my quest for dial and crown.

Best