When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another scammer in our midst?

kernow

Guys, I recently purchased a watch from a member on here. I paid quickly and was requested to use PayPal gift. I asked to go 50:50 on PayPal fees but he refused, so I paid them myself. The watch should have been posted special delivery within the UK to my UK address last Friday. I've asked the seller via PM and email to update me and nothing. He originally gave me a telephone number which I've left a message on but no reply.

I know of at least one other member on here who's having the same problem as me with this seller and wondered if there are any other members who are experiencing the same lack of communication and no watch. The seller has logged on - yesterday, but has not replied to my email or voicemail.

He has been selling a fair few watches recently so be careful.

Any advice appreciated. Moderators please contact me to advise the next step I should take.

Thanks all.

you should name the member, since you have not accused him of anything, and only stating facts so far.

It serves 2 purposes:

a. It serves as a call-out to him, so that he could explain himself to you, if PMing does not work

b. It serves as a warning to the rest of us. 

you should name the member, since you have not accused him of anything, and only stating facts so far.

It serves 2 purposes:

a. It serves as a call-out to him, so that he could explain himself to you, if PMing does not work

b. It serves as a warning to the rest of us.

If that's accepted then I will

breitlingguy is the member concerned.

I'm the other member. Paid on Thursday night, not a single respond back since then. My confidence was built by their post count of nearly a hundred.

Not a huge amount of money but not a pleasant 1st buying experience!

Disappointed but that's life.

I'll name and shame tomorrow, if no one else does.

• Like 1

It is fair because you are just stating facts, and have not accused him of anything so far.

If breitlingguy has not responded to PMs or any form of communication for some time, and this is the way to get his attention, then its not a matter of choice.

An entire group of us is getting scammed by a watch modder here (read the thread started by me in the same section of the forum, over 5000 views, hard to miss) and see how we deal with scammers and potential scammers.

I think the tolerance level for scamming in this forum has plummeted recently on the whole due to the behavior of certain individuals on the forum.

If you have genuine reason to believe you are being scammed or shortchanged, and the other party is not responding, call him out and let him explain himself.

An entire group of us is getting scammed by a watch modder here (read the thread started by me in the same section of the forum, over 5000 views, hard to miss) and see how we deal with scammers and potential scammers.

I've read the thread with interest. It's shocking how a respected member of the community can turn rogue.

Additionally, maybe there should be a rule for sellers not to request PayPal gift payments.

There is no reason to use PayPal gift, unless you are not willing to pay the 4% or so PayPal charge. I am becoming more and more reluctant to use PayPal gift unless it is someone who is a long standing board member who is and active participant in forum discussions, or I'm actually sending a gift like a donation. Using PayPal gift to me is essentially the same as using Western Union or MoneyGram, once you hit the send button, it's gone!!

Hopefully the seller has a reasonable explanation as to why he hasn't responded to PM's and phone messages. My feelings are if you have enough free time to log into the forum and spend time here looking around, you darn sure have time to answer a buyers PM. Maybe it's time for the administrators to start thinking about some sort of selling suspension if a seller has unresolved problems with buyers?

• Like 1

Guys if they request gift send as goods and pay the fee yourself. An honest seller whom is just looking to get let us say $250 for the watch may not want to lose 4% if you pay fees he gets 250 and you spend 10 extra seems like a small amount to cover yourself now correct.

• Like 1

Guys if they request gift send as goods and pay the fee yourself. An honest seller whom is just looking to get let us say $250 for the watch may not want to lose 4% if you pay fees he gets 250 and you spend 10 extra seems like a small amount to cover yourself now correct.

That's what I did Mike, I just hope I can get the money back from PayPal if necessary.

Makes sense Mike, I sent you via goods and 4% extra for the raffle. Since you gave away my prize while I was sleeping, I can now raise paypal dispute :D :D

If you do use PP ..

I would suggest you do it now....

PP works by first opening a dispute...although this is formal it does not involve PP it remains between you and the seller and as last opportunity to resolve the issue.... you would still need to claim within 21 days of filing the dispute...

This would be done automatically by PP if the seller has not replied or looked to make a resolution when the dispute started...

So by doing so now you are at least forcing him to respond in some way.... if he doesnt then you will by default get your money back when you make the claim...

Pete sent as gift.

Not by me it wasn't, I paid the PayPal fee myself.

Pete, what should I say about the errrrr watch? I've not opened a PayPal dispute before.

At the moment if you do as I suggest then that is not mentioned...as I said it is just a resolution centre...it is not a claim for money back

What you do is open dispute in resolution centre which is in the tool bar on your PP page

(Rest of this post removed....)