When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Buying a new computer

danielv2000

Need some advice. Should I get a laptop or a desktop? Also, what brand? My HP desktop just died on me after 8 years of reliable service. I also had a 2 yr old HP laptop that died on me recently so I'm sort of on the fence about what I need.

Nothing too demanding. I don't do gaming. It's basically browsing, some (not much) photoshop, (not much) video editing, etc...

Much appreciated

Go with a tablet if you just browse and socialize. Check Lenovo's web site, they're having some nice sale going on with their notebooks and tablets. If Lenovo is not your 

brand, shop at Amazon, they cover all brands!

My recommendation:

Android Tablet (for speed and beautiful screen): Samsung Note 10.1 2014 (own both this and last year's) Get a refurb at Amazon of last years model if you don't care about the latest and the greatest and also to save some about a $100.

Apple IPAD Air is also stunning if you're into IPADs. I just bought and tested one to gift to the kids for Xmas.

Android Phone: Samsung S4 for Speed and Screen, but now superceded by Nexus 5 with KitKat (own both)

Windows 8.1 - I got both the Dell Pro and the Microsoft Surface RT. If you want to run Windows standard software, go with th Pro, otherwise go with RT. Lenovo has a good sale on their Convertible RT right now for $299. Windos 8.1

is a lot better than 8. 

Hope that helps,

Hike

Go with a tablet if you just browse and socialize. Check Lenovo's web site, they're having some nice sale going on with their notebooks and tablets. If Lenovo is not your 

brand, shop at Amazon, they cover all brands!

My recommendation:

Android Tablet (for speed and beautiful screen): Samsung Note 10.1 2014 (own both this and last year's) Get a refurb at Amazon of last years model if you don't care about the latest and the greatest and also to save some about a $100.

Apple IPAD Air is also stunning if you're into IPADs. I just bought and tested one to gift to the kids for Xmas.

Android Phone: Samsung S4 for Speed and Screen, but now superceded by Nexus 5 with KitKat (own both)

Windows 8.1 - I got both the Dell Pro and the Microsoft Surface RT. If you want to run Windows standard software, go with th Pro, otherwise go with RT. Lenovo has a good sale on their Convertible RT right now for $299. Windos 8.1

is a lot better than 8. 

Hope that helps,

Hike

Hike, thanks. I already have a tablet for everyday usage. The only reason I need a PC is for the photoshop stuff. That's my other hobby besides watches. I guess with Christmas around the corner, I'll keep my eye out for some deals.

My 8 year old desk-top was actually refurbished and it still kicked some ass.

I use a Quad Processor 2 year old Dell Desktop with 16 Gigs of RAM that still kick ass. I installed a Samsung EVO 520GIG SSD 2 months ago and now it boots up in 30 secs flat. Photoshop CS6 loads in under a minute. I'm running WIN7 Ultimate. All Apps are loaded on the SSD and all data are somewhere else. It's kinda my MultiMedia system. Like you, I have CS6 full package and I transfer all my DVD movies to my UPnP server and stream it to all the TVs and BlueRay players in the house.

I just bought a Lenovo Yoga 2 i7 laptop for $1399 OTD at bestbuy.

It's the newest freshy fresh. Nothing like it out there. Top of the line.

It's a laptop with an amazing 3600x1600 resolution touchscreen with Win 8.1

It's worth a look to see if it fits your needs.

Like already said is a Mac what you need for editing photos. They may look less fast than a similar PC ( less ram, slower processor,..) but in reality you will see that most of the time they are faster. Macbook air Retina would be perfect for you, but there are quiet expensive.

If you are more fan of a PC: check this site http://www.statisticbrain.com/laptop-malfunction-rates/ . 

I would go for a Macbook Pro if you are using it for photo editing, and they are well build. I never had any issues with one of my Macs.

I second that. I'm a Mac user for a couple of years. But a MacbookPro is more expensive, if you have a monitor why don't you look for a Mac Mini? Decent price and they will do the job :)

Otherwise a Macbook or iMac would be my choice! 

I second that. I'm a Mac user for a couple of years. But a MacbookPro is more expensive, if you have a monitor why don't you look for a Mac Mini? Decent price and they will do the job :)

Otherwise a Macbook or iMac would be my choice! 

That's true, they are expensive in Holland. I bought a new Macbook Pro in the US with a return flight ticket to the US for less what I should pay in Holland for a new Macbook Pro. The difference between US and NL was about 600 Euro 

That's true, they are expensive in Holland. I bought a new Macbook Pro in the US with a return flight ticket to the US for less what I should pay in Holland for a new Macbook Pro. The difference between US and NL was about 600 Euro 

wow that's a big difference mate! Why are they so much more expensive in Holland  :huh:

Thanks for the input. I've been thinking about a Mac but my only concern was compatability with my office computer where I do on occassion have to use excel and word from home. These can now be loaded on a Mac, right?

I've got the office bundle for Mac, works perfect. Also in combination with my Windows PC at work and Mac at home :)

• 1 month later...

I used a lappie for Photoshop for years. Regretted its incapacity for upgrade in the RAM department. Added a 24 inch hp graphics screen and that helped a lot! But, using photoshop autocad and having browsers open etc. really turned it into a slug. Can't beat the flexibility of a nice windows8 machine capable of 16GB of RAM and just chugging along regardless of what I throw at it. An additional 30inch graphics screen and there's no turning back Desktop all the way is my vote

if you do not go Mac, as stated by another member the Lenova Yoga machines are excellent.  Get a powerful and light laptop but also a tablet.  I have a 13" for business travel and really like it.  It processes fast, is very quiet with a solid state drive and does not get hot.  I have had at least a dozen laptops over the last few years and like this one the best by far.  Keyboard is excellent for a laptop and is lighted for working late.  Cool for traveling; use the windows 8 for apps and playing and basically in desktop mode its windows 7 for working.  I run a RDP to my office and home computers so can access either of my desktops as well.  Tried several of the new laptops before settling on this one and a year later very happy with that decision.    

if you want a great laptop, I'd recommend Dell Precision M series... had my M6300 for about 7 years and it's still super fast... the newer ones can get up to 32GB ram and have amazing specs. Mine's great for photoshop and still even really good for high end 3D engineering apps (Catia, SolidWorks)

If you don't/arent used to a Mac, I couldn't recommend it... I tried and it just felt funny to me (ok macaddicts... go ahead and flame away LOL)