When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bombed...James Bombed

JoeyB

Scientists wanted to examine just how much alcohol the famous fictional secret agent consumes, and what effect that could have on his health. They published a study, led by Graham Johnson of the emergency department of Royal Derby Hospital, in the British Medical Journal's Christmas edition, which features a variety of offbeat research papers.

British researchers predict he could die from alcohol-related causes, such as liver damage, by age 56.  Researchers found Bond's weekly alcohol consumption totaled 92 units a week, which is more than four times what doctors recommend. A real person would not be able to carry out such complicated tasks and function as well as Bond does while maintaining such habits, they conclude. 

post-16926-0-43685300-1387471081_thumb.g

Considering that Ian Fleming somewhat based the character on himself it should come as no surprise. He died at age 56 having had a heart attack at 53. He was know to drink a bottle of gin and smoke 70 cigarettes a day! He did produce a great spy character though.

From the "VIP's all new Bar Guide" published in 1960 (and whose guidance is also backed up by my copies of The Mr. Boston and the Playboy bartenders guides of the same era)   It should also be noted that the cocktails and drink recipes in this guide call for 1 to 1.5 ounce pours such as the classic martini "One Jigger (1.5 oz) Gin, 1/2 oz of dry French vermouth shaken over ice and garnished with an olive..."  Or the classic Manhattan "One jigger whiskey, 1/2 jigger of sweet vermouth, dash of bitters served over ice with a cherry."  These aren't the 3 to 5 ounce drinks places are pouring today.

post-10110-0-99872800-1387550304_thumb.j

Edited by cjjoyce1

I did also!

Here the best one yet!

2830097607_3c4449f03f.jpg

Goes right along with the OP's post!

MY KINDA MOVIES I LOVE CLASSIC HOLLYWOOD . :)

Edited by aeromatic

Those were the days a man could still stand a drink and a cig. Those agents wouldn´t make it to age 50 anyways so there´s no way to prove......

Must have been fun at least.

Btw Sir Connery is 83 and Sir Moore 86 :)