When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

want to put together a 16XX or 16XXX please help

umairarif

Hi guys

I want to start a 16xx or 16xxx project and have no clue where to start from. I will put what questions have in my mind, first i would like to know any 16xx or 16xxx rep case is good? because they are all same size 36mm. I have seen many gen dials, crowns and glasses for sale but not many cases, in fact just one 18k white gold which is not affordable. So basically I would need a case set, glass, movement, hands set, crown and stem, bezel and a bracelet am I right?. will all these gen parts fit in to a rep case?. When looking to buy movements (quick set) which one should I be looking for?

cheers

Gen dials don't always fit in rep cases. But on my last DJ build I got a rep case from mymanmatt and it worked out fine. And the price for the case, bezel, crystal, tube, crown and spacer ring was very reasonable.

photo_zps9cbd0345.jpg

The dial from Yuki was $158, hands from Clarks were around $14 and I had the Asian 2836-2 w/ dwo left over from another project. With an aftermarket jubilee, I think I've got around $325 in the watch.

Or you could try to get a case off ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-60s-Rolex-Steel-Datejust-1601-Case-parts-/191003289444?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c78aee764

and go from there- gen dial- even a quickset DJ dial should fit in this case, maybe a 2824-2 movt, and a bezel from WSO or jandk, gen crown (24-600) and you're good to go.

• Like 1

Hi guys

I want to start a 16xx or 16xxx project and have no clue where to start from. I will put what questions have in my mind, first i would like to know any 16xx or 16xxx rep case is good? because they are all same size 36mm. I have seen many gen dials, crowns and glasses for sale but not many cases, in fact just one 18k white gold which is not affordable. So basically I would need a case set, glass, movement, hands set, crown and stem, bezel and a bracelet am I right?. will all these gen parts fit in to a rep case?. When looking to buy movements (quick set) which one should I be looking for?

cheers

Mini rant coming your way unfortunately ....

With the dozens of threads on franken DateJusts on this forum, why start a new thread? All the information you need is already out there. Normally you're only going to get generic answers to a thread like this, because the members all know these questions have been asked/answered so many times. Now that I'm off the soap-box, I'll help a little since spoon-feeding seems to be necessary.

1) Since you 'have no clue where to start from', mymanmatt is your best source for a pre-built, everything's done for you, franken DateJust. Contact him, and you'll get a quality piece with no effort on your part.

2) If you really want to DIY, you should read (at a minimum) these threads:

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/158976-diy-how-to-make-a-frankenjust/

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/152469-franken-datejust-journey-finally-complete/

And pretty much any of the other franken datejust build and/or sales threads will have complete build lists, including all the parts lists you need.

3) If you don't want to go with a gen case, JMB has a rep case for a 2824 movement. It takes gen parts. IMO it's the best choice.

4) Gen cases are hard to find, but there are several on eBay right now. Some priced OK, others, not so much. Patience is needed when shopping for parts.

5) The movement you buy depends on the case you use. It will either be a 2824 or 2836 (ETA or clone).

And this is not directed specifically at you, but anyone who wants to embark on a franken project of any kind should always do a ton of research on what they are trying to build. It's a very rare occassion when someone would get an idea to build something that one of the other members has not already tried. There will always be posts with the information you need to succeed, and more importantly what not to do. Sometimes avoiding the common mistakes that can happen with a project is the thing that keeps things from going off the rails and adding unneeded costs that could have been avoided.

• Like 1

@tomhorn 100%- You will find a plethora of information with the search function.

And yes mymanmatt has built me a gold DD 18038 with a gen dial and crystal and i have to say that it is by far the best looking DD Ive seen. Get in touch with him and he is a very nice gentleman.

will 15000 case can be used to built a 16xxx watch? i am trying to source a 16013 or 16013 case set but no luck yet, but seen few 15000 cases, got dial, 20mm bracelet and eta2836.2. so if i get 15000 case will these parts fit in it?

cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simple answer - no, you cannot use a 15 series case to build a 16 series watch.

Again, a simple search will tell you what you need to know about case sizes, lug width's etc,

You should first decide if you want to go the modern route (i.e. no lugholes, thicker case, sapphire glass), or if you would rather take the vintage route, (i.e. lugholes, thinner case, plastic crystal, etc. 

Using a 16000 case is a fairly easy and straight-forward build.  The only caveat to that is that the gen dial must be mounted on a non-gen movement.  There are many tutorials here that can help with that.  I like to build watches, (using gen components) that have not been repped, like these two.  A 16013 (Two-tone) and 16014 (S Steel and white gold).  They are both 16000 cases and gen dials.  Both have a Swiss-made ETA 2836.  Hands and crystal comes from Clark's ebay store...nostalgia-2000.

Twinsfacingeachother1-resized.jpg

100_3300.jpg

16013onrockdial-resized.jpg

That case is for a Datejust Thunderbird, but it doesn't have the Thunderbird bezel anymore. The crystal sits too high- don't know if the Thunderbird has a different crystal or the case is different or what. Don't know if you could install a 25-295C crystal and get it back to the regular height to go with the engine turned bezel that's on there now. The clear caseback isn't that big a deal since no one will see it.

You are asking questions that have been answered a thousand times on the Rolex forum. quit typing and start reading!! Before you start buying stuff, you need a plan. To make a plan, you need to know what you want to accomplish. To know what you want to accomplish, you need to read and do your research, build a knowledge base. that's what every one of us who have built franken Rolex watches has done. If you don't do these simple steps, you are going to spend a ton of money on a sack full of parts that don't work with each other. So you can heed everyone's advice and do your research and make a plan, or you can get on EBay  and buy a bunch of parts, spend a bunch of money and hope that they all fit together. And in my experience, Hoping and wishing are not a plan!!

And preacher, I really, really like that TT DJ that linen dial is a show stopper!!

You are asking questions that have been answered a thousand times on the Rolex forum. quit typing and start reading!! Before you start buying stuff, you need a plan. To make a plan, you need to know what you want to accomplish. To know what you want to accomplish, you need to read and do your research, build a knowledge base. that's what every one of us who have built franken Rolex watches has done. If you don't do these simple steps, you are going to spend a ton of money on a sack full of parts that don't work with each other. So you can heed everyone's advice and do your research and make a plan, or you can get on EBay  and buy a bunch of parts, spend a bunch of money and hope that they all fit together. And in my experience, Hoping and wishing are not a plan!!

And preacher, I really, really like that TT DJ that linen dial is a show stopper!!

ok sir but i did not find my answers in the forums yet, thats why i keep asking.

thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then you aren't trying very hard. Reading the posts in this thread, coupled with the search function on this forum and Google would get you all the information you need to know in less than 2 minutes. I know this because that's how long it took me to find them, after knowing nothing about the 16263 case prior to your posting it.

Given that you have already spent money on a 2836 and dial, you need to find a 160xx case. End of story. Stop looking at (and asking about) anything that is not one of those (16013, 16014, 16030). If you had not already bought parts without knowing what you were doing, you would have more options. That's why everyone is telling you to do research, and that you need a plan going into the build so you don't get stuck with parts you can't use.