When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

"A couple of light swirls" / "Some minor desk diving marks"!

fraggle42

Have you ever seen those auctions on EBay for cars that say "Just needs a new spark plug and she'll be running" or "MOT just about to run out, £20 on brake pads and she'll fly through"?

(the MOT is the UKs road worthiness test, got to have one by law and they last for a year)

And you know it's [censored] - the engines totally shot, or the frame / chassis is lying all over the neighbourhood in little piles of rust and you have more chance of becoming the pope that the car passing it's next MOT?

IF it was an easy fix, the seller would do it and sell it for a lot more money!

Why do sellers still try it on?

If it's got a couple of light swirls then spend a couple of bucks on some Cape Cod and polish the damn things away!

If the stem is falling out, get it fixed or sell it for parts! It's NOT "A lovely desirable timepiece that any watchsmith can fix for $0.05"!

I've seen someone sell a broken watch "Movement not running, probably the spring stuck, just needs a knock or two or a cheap service!" (paraphrased) for about 90% of the new price and some newbie bought it. I feel sorry for that person when they get it and find out it'll need a new movement and someone paid to swap them over.

Apologies to the good, honest sellers, who are thankfully in the majority, and certainly are the vast majority on here.

<rant over>

<pours wee dram, sips, sits back contentedly> :)

By the way flyr did not go all the way thru that thread but the guys can just order Cape Cod online.

Yes I know,( I have a couple packs I got online) but it seems people just throw the"cape cod will get them out " into their sales posts weather or not they ever have used the stuff!

I think the whole point is pricing accordingly and honest listing.

If the watch has marks then it is not worth as much as a mint condition unless it is vintage.

If the watch is not going and you wont fix it then it's a parts sale.

Ken

• Like 1