When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Swiss or Clone?

jpz5142

Guys help me out, trying to sell a watch and got a buyer, sent me money and now is claiming that the movement is not swiss and is instead a cone.  I had pics of the movement posted on the sales ad but I am not wanting to sell as Swiss if it is indeed a clone.  Bought from dealer (Puretime) as swiss and when it was serviced watch guy said it was Swiss not clone. Take a look and let me know what you think...

post-37023-0-75019100-1391006325_thumb.j

Here is the link to the Sales ad to compare the pic that I posted:

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/166837-sold-42mm-exp-ii-polar-noob-swiss-eta-serviced-400/

He is comparing the pic of the movement of the Yachtmaster (2824) that I had also listed with the pic of the EXP II (2836). Since I am not a movement expert I wanted to reach out and get the opinion of the experts here on RWG. I don't want to gyp someone out of ignorance.

Thanks guys, I just wanted to use the knowledge base as my sounding board. Buyer is still concerned it is a clone and is wanting a refund and as I had received his email prior to shipping the watch I will do so as soon as I get the funds into my bank account.

So what are the distinguishing differences that he is using to claim this is a clone. He has one watch in hand, and the other is a photo. He needs to give a good valid reason(s) why he thinks the 2836 is a clone. I cannot see anything glaring that would lead him to say that the movement is a clone, but I'm no movement expert by a long shot.

Well it very well could be buyers remorse. Sale was funded last night and this morning he is wanting to cancel the sale as he is claiming it is a clone so I still have the watch. Luckily I checked my email before going to the post office.

Now he is claiming that there is a sticker on the rotor and that it is not indeed engraved....

I think that it is going to be less stress all round to grant refund, deal is last night I transferred funds to my bank account so funds aren't even in my PayPal account. So I have to wait for the bank to receive the funds and post it so that I can transfer back to the PayPal to fund the refund.

Well it very well could be buyers remorse. Sale was funded last night and this morning he is wanting to cancel the sale as he is claiming it is a clone so I still have the watch. Luckily I checked my email before going to the post office.

Now he is claiming that there is a sticker on the rotor and that it is not indeed engraved....

I think that it is going to be less stress all round to grant refund, deal is last night I transferred funds to my bank account so funds aren't even in my PayPal account. So I have to wait for the bank to receive the funds and post it so that I can transfer back to the PayPal to fund the refund.

You know in the long run you are going to be better off refunding the jerks money and reposting the watch for sale. this guy would have worried you to death over nit picking BS stuff. If I were in your shoes, I would PM him and tell him that it's going to take a few days to get the money back in your PayPal account, and the minute it gets to your bank you are going to deposit in PayPal and refund his money. something else, I wouldn't necessarily leave him negative feedback, but  I would post a neutral and explain why. Might keep someone else from having the same problems you are having. Good thing you didn't mail the watch, because you would have had to eat the postage and also stretch out the deal longer.

Although I believe yours is a gen ETA, actually there are a lot of used ETA movements in reps that have a sticker over the rotor. I think he just wants to know if this one does.

Here's a picture of one I got. It was an Olma movement underneath. You can see how the sticker is off centered.

DSCN2215.jpg

Your movement does look like a sticker is over the rotor but it's hard to tell for sure.

Your movement does look like a sticker is over the rotor but it's hard to tell for sure.

Fair enough so I humored him (and for the sake if this thread) took some pics of the rotor. Not exactly high quality but should be able to tell that there is not a sticker.

post-37023-0-45557900-1391049874_thumb.j

post-37023-0-72211900-1391049904_thumb.j

After I get the funds in my account I am going to refund the money, I just don't want someone saying I tried to sell a clone as a Swiss and gyp some guy for a few extra bucks. I like this place and don't want to have a tarnished reputation.

Sorry my friend, Im pretty sure it's a clone. eta on a gen is very crisp and easy to read. Yes, the clones have all the stamps. The clones I buy from Hong Kong, don't have any stamps at all. My supplier gets them direct from the factory before they are stamped. I prefer them with no markings. Up until a few months ago I would not use a clone, however I must say the quality has greatly improved and now I offer them with any build. I do not use the silver clone, only the gold. For some reason the silver clones have many problems, don't know why, but they do.

May, I know you are an expert when it comes to these things, what gives it away as a clone?

I'm aware of the small edge that is curved on gens and was straight on most clones but I'm sure that's been addressed by the clone makers now.

Another reason I think it's an ETA is,assuming it's not a sticker, the printing on the rotor is so crisp and the letters are very close together like a gen. The clones have much more space between the letters. Look at a clone and the difference is easily seen. Also, the latest close up of the ETA logo pretty much confirms it to me. It's quite distinct and clear unlike most clones.

enameqez.jpg

Clone logo:

DSCF3498-asian.jpg

ETA logo:

DSCF3502-ETA.jpg

Thats not a sticker.  I just hope that the buyer don't switch the movement for an actual clone now, and keeps the ETA to himself.

Some buyers can be so bloody frustrating and dishonest.  I have experienced my fair share too.

The buyer is nuts, and doesn't deserve the money back IMO. It's hard to say for sure, but that mov't looks gen to me.

I can't see the jewel seat, are there 3 cutouts? That seems to be a reliable sign of the gen. Many clones are stamped now,

and I think there are a lot of hybrid Gen/Clones as well. If a person sells a rep, I would say 'sold as Swiss'. You  (or the TDs)

can not be expected to open every back and check the mov't. If someone wants a 100% guarantee; they should get a gen. Or

at least buy from someone like BK who installs his own Gen mov'ts.

Honestly guys, as I do still have the watch issuing a refund is way easier and a lot less stressful for both me and the buyer. If he's not happy there's all sorts of headaches that could pop up and I don't want anything to happen, I like this place and want to stick around a while so I want to keep my name free from tarnish. I've not mentioned his name for the same reason, he should have kicked the tires and looked under the hood before funding a purchase but he didn't so moving on. He has had a change of heart and is now interested in me sending him the watch, but A refund is the easiest thing for me now. It's the rep game, there are no certainties other than there are no certainties.

I'm probably just going to keep the watch and do some serious mods and turn it into a fantasy watch with my team colors and wear during games to show my support.

• Like 1