When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why so many catch and release Tudor Black Bays?

Big Dazza

Been noticing that the new Tudor Black Bay reps are only just reaching buyers and already they are being moved on. With so many catch and releases it's making me thing there's something people aren't liking about the watch?

I've seen a gen of the Black Bay while in Boston and it was a lovely watch and even though I'm trying to save for a gen Rolex I'm pretty tempted to order a Black Bay rep to see if its a good as the gen.

Lots have been nit picking the minutiae of the watch, Like the pearl and pearl cup, the hand sized, the deepness of the caseback engraving, the difference in lume colour between the hands and hour markers, The list goes on. 

Some people want perfection in a little $300 package. Those that don't get it are disappointed and hence C&R

Looks like a great rep to me. If its even 90% gen like I'd be happy. People sometimes put their expectations too high, as long as there isn't any dust under the crystal, any misaligned bezel inserts etc I'm a happy chap.

Saying that the gen I seen in Boston at a used watch dealers already had specks of dirt under the crystal.

Over hyped watch of the century! I can see from the dealer pics that there are already inconsistencies compared with the gen. Unfortunately in this hobby there is far too much expectation and people forget that there is no such thing as a perfect rep. Some TDs are very clever with marketing themselves and their products and it's easy to get carried along with the crowd.

Probably a bit picky but they dont seem to be selling anymore with the engraved movement plates. Thats the one id be interested in. Even though id never see it its nice to know the details there

I paid for one from Sora (Shinewatch) and was told it will have Rotor and plate engraving. I'm wondering if people were told only the first run will have the engraving to get more pre-orders. Or Sora could be mistaken. I will know shortly when this watch arrives. I was offered 308.00 with free HK post but I paid extra 10.00 for EMS.

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php?t=173145

Did you just buy it recently? I asked Sora too and he told me none of the ones have engraved plates

I paid for mine this morning. I didn't specifically ask about the engraving because it wasn't a big deal to me. I plan on swapping mine for a gen ETA 2824 anyway. Sora had said in the sales thread that they were engraved though. Probably just an over-sight I guess/

I love mine, and even though I don't expect perfection it's that damn close I'm more than happy with it :)

Anyone who C&Rs it either just got unlucky and got one with a problem and can't be bothered to send it back to be sorted, they'd rather say its perfect and shift the problem onto someone else, or maybe should stick to gens.

I believe C&R is endemic to watch fanatics. We get caught up in all the hype, and we buy into it and next thing you know, we have a new watch on the way. One big problem with reps is the inability to try them on at an AD like a lot of genuine watches. We go to and AD and try on the genuine equivalent, and then when the rep comes in we are disappointed because it's not exactly like the gen. Our biggest problem is our OCD, we agonize over little discrepancies that will never be picked up with the naked eye, but we know they are there, and we fret over them and finally convince ourselves that the watch is "Unwearable", because it's got these miniscule flaws. Most of us need less watches and more life!!! ;)

AFA the Black bay, it never impressed me at all. I'm not a big fan of snowflake hands, even though I own a genuine Tudor 9411/0. Another thing, I believe that folks discover that the red bezel is not neutral like a black bezel or S/S. When you realize that it's a little too sporty to wear with a business suit, it looses some of it's appeal. Add all that, and then you look at some of the flaws that the manufacturers and dealers sort of glossed over and it becomes expendable.

Over the years, I have sold and traded a lot more watches than I have kept. Most of the time, it just didn't resonate with me. I would try my best to love it, but if it wasn't there, it wasn't there. C&R is not novel to reps, just go to WUS or TZ and look at the number of practically brand new watches are on sale every day. Folks buy them looking for something that isn't there. that plus the fact that most of us are serial "flippers" anyway. What was interesting to me, was the MKII Kingston. the watch was over 3 years coming from deposit to delivery. The watches trickled in to the owners over probably a year or more. After all that wait, there were brand new Kingston's hitting the sales forum on WUS within days of delivery. Guys waited patiently for three plus years to get the watch, and poof it was gone in days.

• Like 1

The difference is, the Kingston sold for a premium. Beautiful watch.

Still is, and the price keeps getting higher and higher. This totally caught me wrong, because I predicted on the MKII forum that when the dust settled, they would go back down and the price would be just a bit over retail if not less, Boy was I wrong on that one !! Not too many contemporary watches actually appreciate in value right off, but this was definitely one of them.