When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Working for watches of Switzerland UK?

lukenorris2011

Hello guys, I want some advice.. I know we are a rep watch forum, but let's face it, we all are here because WE LOVE WATCHES.. No if's, but's or maybes.

Like many of you we spend hours per day just looking at anything watch related, mainly Rolex for me because that's what's fascinated me since I was like 12/13 years old.

I'm only 23 years old , I'm a gas engineer, and without blowing my own trumpet, run a small business which earns me much more then I could ask for.

I have job alerts sent to me everyday, and last week had one for watches of Switzerland, literally 1 mile from me for a job in there Rolex AD. The pay-cut would be substantial, I would be back to the world of 9am- 5pm working hours. But for me in this environment I wouldn't class it just as work as i would be enjoying it every moment I am there.

I will list some pro's and cons, please chime in. Some will think I'm a idiot but honest advice would be really appreciated from my fellow watch people!

Leaving my gas business/ working in WOS

(Cons)

- Big paycut.

- flexible working hours ( I don't have any kids though)

Leaving my gas business/working in WOS

(Pros)

-although flexible, sometimes 2-3am emergency call outs are just dreadful

- working with what excites me. ( Rolex!)

- only 23 years old ( time still to progress)

- 2 miles from work (currently 23 miles to contract area)

- although less, a stable/ guaranteed income

- no more wet/smelly work clothes and dirty hands !! LOL

Most importantly, most do not know, but I have brought and sold 2nd hand gen Rolex also for many years. And consider myself a good solid salesman......

So guys honestly, what would you do ???

Life's a [censored], then you marry one!

Hey mate i can only say one thing do whatever you want and feel for look at me i turned down Being a vice President at my fathers windmill company and become a fighter pilot instead i could drive a porsche and own alot of gen watches and so on the good life some May call it but i love my job the pay aint great but i do what i want every single day each day i wake up and know im gonna take my baby up in the skies no money could beat that so im living the good life with less money but i Got everything a want my own plane my own house even my own wife ( i know hard to believe haha ) but its a good life [censored] the money you can Always make money

So my advice do what you feel for nothing Else

Best wishes Simon

Wow, you want to put a period in there somewhere? ;)

I'd say do what will make you happy. I would much rather be happy at my job and make less than be stressed and make more.

Why have everyday miserable?- it weighs too much on you over time. I am older than you(but not that old!) and say it's not worth it. Have a better work life and then with it a better life in general.

Edited by xpletiv

Why the hell would you want to work full time in an ad. If your business is turning a profit. (Remember turnover is vanity) work when you want where you want, (no kids man!) travel the world, expand your watch business, I could understand if you we're going to train to build movements or something but don't jack in a business to work full time in a shop.

Story for ya! I sold my gen brietling gt to a dealer years ago. I met him in London. He met me in claridges tea room. Full of high fliers. Robby Williams two tone rolls was parked out the front, (how do I know?) coz the number plate said rw1 and he came out as I went in! I then went and stood behind Jeremy clarkson at the cloakroom and had my jacket taken and shown to a table. The guy was dressed immaculately, proper English gent. Took a quick look offered me 2k cash. Wouldnt be haggled so I accepted, he bought me a cup of tea (20 quid a pot!) we had a chat, he told me he bought and sold watches and used claridges as his office. Shook hands and bid him good day.

Just a really cool experience. No doubt he made a nice wedge on my watch as well.

So my 2 p worth is do something cool. And unless your gonna [censored] the boss and take over the franchise I'd stick to working for yourself. That is unless your gonna fly jets or become pm.

Bvc.

You would have to be able to see into the future in order to make the right decision but my advice is to stick with what you have.

The only way to make $$ in the watch biz is to own a factory, be a distributor, own the rights to a brand name etc...not selling them retail.

When I was 23 years old (a long time ago) I had one of the best jobs in the world as far as I was concerned...outside a lot in absolutely beautiful surroundings, but I always wanted to work in a motorcycle shop because I was a motorcycle freak. I started working in a MC shop a little bit after class while in high school and worked part time in MC shops 1982 through 2006.

I learned one thing....you can't make much $$ working in a MC shop. It's the same with watches...I worked on and traded watches since the early 1970s for a cold weather hobby. Sometimes doing what makes you happy starves you out.

How did my 'main job' work out?

Pretty good. I retired at age 45.

Just from meandering around in the Tourneau sales rooms over on Worth Avenue in Palm Beach and the one in the Gardens Mall in PB Gardens, I would personally hate to be one of those flunkies. Not much difference than selling cars. Too many sales people and too few customers so you have a half dozen people standing around waiting to pounce on anyone that walks into the showroom.  I'd think long and hard before I gave up a profitable business where you are the boss.

Why not do both? Maybe you can just do some work with the AD on a part-time basis. Another thought is maybe you can fulfill the same desire for watches by buying and selling gens. Go to trade shows and auctions where a lot of the vintage dealers go, buy a piece or two, and sell them. Do it enough times and you can have a fun and rewarding little side enterprise. You can sell parts and components, too.

Looking at the prices of watches from Italy and elsewhere I would be tempted to travel to Italy, buy a couple of dozen or 100 and resell them in the most expensive place on earth (wherever that is) and that has the cheapest import duty fees.

Black bays are $1700 new there and sell for $1000 more in some US places online, and I've no doubt those online prices are cheap compared to Beverly Hills, etc.

I have owned my own business for 10.5 years, so I completely understand the demands of being self employed, working odd hours on demand to satisfy a client, as well as the rewards it offers. I am also grappling with a life changing decision, as I was just offered a position to join a very well respected bank in my area to do what I have been doing on my own. I just can't imagine going back to working for someone else, though, especially doing the same thing I do now.

In the end, you have to do what is right for you, but just keep in mind that you have ultimate flexibility right now. Once you start working for someone else, you are on their time clock.

Also, this hobby is fun because it's a hobby. We love watches and learning about them. Do you really want to spend every day of the week, working retail, standing on your feet behind a glass counter, catering to all of the tire kickers and lookie-loos who have no intention to buy? Then, how many watches do you have to sell to even make any money?

Seems crazy to me to close down your successful business to go work retail. Retail, and you don't even own the store. Managing the store? I can understand that...

Mendota: can't really do both. Wish I could. The gas business is extra demanding at times. And never know when I'm out.

Archie, it is not for there new flagship. That building does look amazing though ! Defo worth a visit for anybody here visiting London.

Here is what I would do if I were your age, see if you can work it into a part time gig for a while just to see if you like it. Personally, I couldn't stand having to deal with some of the folks who come into shops, especially high end shops like a Rolex AD. First off, they will treat you like you were something they picked up on their shoe while walking down the street. Second, you are going to be around watches, but they aren't yours, and if you spend too much time admiring them,. you are not going to get on well with the managers.

You now have a dirty greasy job, but one that pays well and you have a pretty good deal of flexibility with your hours, that will not be the case with a job like the one you describe. Who do you think will be the guy tapped to work late during the Christmas holidays? When your friends want to go out and have a few beers, maybe, maybe not, because it may be your weekend to work late on Saturday evening.

The only way  I would recommend doing something like this is if you could either do it part time for a while or have a pretty good assurance that you could get your old job or a comparable job back in 6 months when you decide you hate being a flunky, and unfortunately, for quite a long time, that is what you will be. This job is no different from any other, you will start at the bottom of the ladder and have to claw your way up.    

Ok ok guys thanks for all your input. I have decided, today. ( just now ) that I will by go ahead. I can keep working my business, keep saving, and continue buying and selling gens on the way. Maybe one day I can make that grow.

Who knows. But I surpose being young , being my own boss and turning over a great profit is something good.

Thanks for all the opinions.

we have good days and bad days i have a team of 35-40 under me at anyone time we get the Pam geeks the AP tryer oners  the clueless rolex daytona buyer the i can get it cheaper in my country client but them you get the guys who like having nice collections and have the cash to do it.

we do loads of training and events and every now and then we get that special limited edition sale or a 200k roger dubuis 

you just need to find the balance for you and work your way up within their company its not easy but can be very very rewarding 

I'm looking I'm in prob the best shopping destination  in the world 

Hi, good decision imho, grow Your business and expand with all benefits/risks envolved or specialize - specialize - specialize - in 20 yrs from now You´ll be one of the few wanted men in Your area.