When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Have you ever bought from MQ, vintgewatches ?

themannier

I have purchased multiple times and is very reliable. He has a well established business and repeat customers on this very forum.

Yes ! many thanks daniel, that is the feedback i was waiting for; i feel glad because i will place an order for 5513 dial white markers :clap2:

Yes ! many thanks daniel, that is the feedback i was waiting for; i feel glad because i will place an order for 5513 dial white markers :clap2:

He is genuine...

And he does have good stuff. Just be prepared to ship it back a few times until he realises you are not stupid, and he cannot fob you off with inferior quality products.

Apart from that, he's alright ....:)

Life's a [censored], then you marry one!

He is genuine...

And he does have good stuff. Just be prepared to ship it back a few times until he realises you are not stupid, and he cannot fob you off with inferior quality products.

Apart from that, he's alright .... :)

Not my definition of "good"! If he's got substandard dials why not list them as such and sell at slight reductions, honesty == good.

Although I know we have a very limited range of people who deal in these things to buy from.

Are you serious? Does he really bait and switch like that? That's awful. There's no way I'd work with him if he really does that. Sounds like Phong might be a better person to work with then. Hmmmmm.

He is genuine...

Apart from that, he's alright ....:)

He did that bait and switch with me and I was not amused, we eventually got it sorted out (never got the high quality dial I paid for though)

Just a note to add,,

Phong seems to abide by a greater set of standards, he goes above and beyond to make sure you are happy. Minh is harder to communicate with (English is not as good as phong's) so sometimes things get lost in translation. My advice for what it's worth guys, buy parts from phong and dials from Minh. Phong's dials suck so we really have no choice, write in simple English and be clear about what you want, he will send you something, check it and make sure it's exactly what you ordered when you get it.

He did that bait and switch with me and I was not amused, we eventually got it sorted out (never got the high quality dial I paid for though)

Just a note to add,,

Phong seems to abide by a greater set of standards, he goes above and beyond to make sure you are happy. Minh is harder to communicate with (English is not as good as phong's) so sometimes things get lost in translation. My advice for what it's worth guys, buy parts from phong and dials from Minh. Phong's dials suck so we really have no choice, write in simple English and be clear about what you want, he will send you something, check it and make sure it's exactly what you ordered when you get it.

Good to hear that, thanks !

Here's my fear.  I am starting off with doing a budget oriented 6538 build to get my hands dirty and have fun with learning how to do aging, learning to take the watch apart, tinker with parts, etc.  Eventually, however, and maybe that won't be for a while, I plan to go for a more advanced Franken build using a gen 1030 movement from a donor watch.  That's my dream.  In order to do that, I want to use gen-spec parts for everything and do it right.  So far, it sounds like Phong can be trusted for his case, his bezel assembly, and I'll have to figure out what to do about the crown, hands, and dial.

This bait and switch business really concerns me, no doubt about it.  Does he have photos that you look at for the dial or how does that process work?

Here's another question - someone mentioned there a couple of people who will make dials but they have to be on a genuine dial plate?  Does that mean you can use any genuine vintage dial for a 1030 movement and they will create a 6538 dial for you?  Or does that mean it has to be an old, damaged 6538 dial and they will restore it?

Edited by Mendota Explorer

Phong has crowns, the hands and dial are really up to personal taste or budget... Minh has some dials but the feet are for gen movements, you would have to use a cheaper dial that has feet for eta movements, then you would have to use a cheaper case because phong's is for a 1030. Play with a yuki 6538 if you want and when you decide to make a high end one then use a phong case, 1030 movement and I can set you up with a better dial then any of these guys.

The bait and switch for me was that the dial sent to me wasn't the one in the pics on his site.

The dial plate has to be 27mm in diameter so if it's a vintage 1030 plate with that diameter it's ok to use.

ME, you're on the right track.  I really like Phong's stuff, and would have gone that route but a very reliable and knowledgeable member here happened to have a MQ case for sale, and he'd already gone through the heartbreak of making sure it was all correct.  MQ cases look like old pieces that have accumulated damage, then have been meticulously refinished to "bring them back to life".  Under a loupe they're fantastic.  Phone cases look like museum pieces.  Perfect.  Both have the correct dimenstional shape to the caseback.  My MQ is also engraved with period-correct markings inside the caseback, with a serial number to match that date range.

For your crown you'll eventually go gen.  The Phong crown is very nice, but it's nothing like a real crown.  You can live with it, but you WILL go gen eventually.  It's worth it.

CWP makes very good hands for the 6538, they're brass and they age to an almost matte finish that looks just like gold under a loupe.

As for dials, the ones you're describing are extremely high quality and are made only on genuine 6538 plates.  They're also extremely expensive.  I used an MQ dial in my build, and it was very good but when it arrived the 3:00 lume had fallen off.  Instead of sending it back to MQ, I sent it off for refinishing by Big Dazza, and a relume at Ziggy's ... it's glorious.  It's as close as you'll get to an uber-dial or a gen.  It will also be for sale in the near future....  *cough*

Fraggle, Mq does hold some really good stuff... But from "my personal experience" plus a couple of other people I know here he does try and send you something different. Once you clear it up with him, and he knows your not one that will just allow it you will eventually get what you want....

Catch 22. He one of a few people who sells the high quality stuff. And his prices are not as high a phongs... Until there's more competition, what can we do ??