When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1675 Case Help

droptopman

Hi guys I appreciate any help on this, I am grinding on this process :bangin: I know I have posted questions about this build already.  Hoping to make some decisions this weekend to get this thing going.   A member of another forum offered this case for sale.  Trying to reduce costs on this build after some feedback from other members, so down to 2 options: buy a complete "1:1" rep from a TD like this maybe http://www.ttw888.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_5&products_id=8354

and put my gen parts on it and live with that or find a reasonably priced modded case and put the my gen parts on that.  I have already sourced gen dial, crown, crystal and insert.  At the end of the day I am not as picky about crown guards and the case as others may be.  I am picky about the insert, crystal, crown, dial and rehaut.  So what I am struggling with is the rehaut look on most of the factory pieces I have seen, I already tried one and it was awful looking so sold it.   

This is what was stated by seller about the case.  He wants $150 for it.

"Drilled to accept 20mm gen spring bars, accepts gen crystal, been reshaped to gen specs."

Can anyone tell me anything based on the pictures?

post-60288-0-77737500-1399125608_thumb.j

post-60288-0-93383800-1399126248_thumb.j

post-60288-0-91042500-1399126337_thumb.j

I've said this before and I'll say it again, all the cases I see unless they are phong or MQ or that ilk are cases that were made for a 6mm crown. The 1675 uses a 5.3mm crown. Doesn't seem like much but it is. To me that is the one fault of all the rep cases, and it makes this a really difficult watch to replicate accurately. You can shape the CG's perfectly, but when you stick a gen 5.3 mm crown in, their is going to be a big gap between the side of the crown and the CG. You have to have one in your hand to appreciate how tiny that 5.3mm crown really is.

http://robertmaron.com/product.php?productid=18290

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've said this before and I'll say it again, all the cases I see unless they are phong or MQ or that ilk are cases that were made for a 6mm crown. The 1675 uses a 5.3mm crown. Doesn't seem like much but it is. To me that is the one fault of all the rep cases, and it makes this a really difficult watch to replicate accurately. You can shape the CG's perfectly, but when you stick a gen 5.3 mm crown in, their is going to be a big gap between the side of the crown and the CG. You have to have one in your hand to appreciate how tiny that 5.3mm crown really is.http://robertmaron.com/product.php?productid=18290

This is absolutely true but...

Do a search for the 1675 cornino on Google and have a look at the images.

Now it may be just me because I put a 5.3 in my cornino build but I swear there is a gap between the crown and the crown guards.

I'm not trying to say it looks ok on a the standard crown guard version but it is plausible in my eyes on a cornino/PCG build.

Maybe it's just my old eyes :)

Good luck with your build, my favourite watch out there.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, all the cases I see unless they are phong or MQ or that ilk are cases that were made for a 6mm crown. The 1675 uses a 5.3mm crown. Doesn't seem like much but it is. To me that is the one fault of all the rep cases, and it makes this a really difficult watch to replicate accurately. You can shape the CG's perfectly, but when you stick a gen 5.3 mm crown in, their is going to be a big gap between the side of the crown and the CG. You have to have one in your hand to appreciate how tiny that 5.3mm crown really is.

http://robertmaron.com/product.php?productid=18290

Thank you and I plan to use a Phong case for the 6542 white dial build as we discussed.  Thank you for all the help on that topic and here.  Since I cannot buy a gen 6542 for less than 25-50K, I can justify spending the extra $ for that build.  But since 1675/16750 are pretty available and relatively inexpensive for a gen, if I go that route I might as well buy a gen.  Reduced my initial budget to keep this around $1500 for a nice but maybe not perfect 1675.  The budget for the 6542 is going to be much more.....If I do this right I should be able to get/build both watches for about what a nice 1675 gen would cost.  Thanks again     

A member answered my WTB with a Rolex Addict built Franken.  Stated, gen dial, gen crystal, gen insert, gen crown, gen spring bars, josh case, yuki hands, custom DWO.  Then the decision, live with the 6mm crown tightly fit in the CG's or replace with a 5.3 and have a gap in the CG's.  I assume that is a 6mm crown, it is hard for me to tell in the pics?  This is going to drive me nuts.  Here are the pics what do you think?

post-60288-0-00852400-1399211036_thumb.j

post-60288-0-03758700-1399211051_thumb.j

To me, the gap between the crown guards and crown is the problem and the watch in the pictures does not show much of a gap no matter what the crown size is. I think when you put a 5.3mm crown in a 6.0mm crown space the gap gives it away more than the od of the 6mm crown in closely fitting crown guards.

Imho.

Joey, I think yours looks fine. I think the pointy crown guards lessens the gap affect.

Droptopman, that one looks pretty nice. I'm not sure the crown will be as noticeable since it sits in tight against the CG's. Like automatico said, it's the space between the crown and the CG that looks odd if you use a 5.3mm crown.

Thanks Pan, yes I plan to buy this one. Little delay as watch is in transit being serviced. Has a nice vintage appeal. I have a new gen insert and crystal but not sure I will use as I kinda like this insert. Not as much as your joey insert though. Love those Bakelite inserts:). Started acquiring parts for the real deal 6524 also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk