When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5513 clark bezel does not turn

candide2424

Agree. Try it without the tension spring and insert to make sure it fits the crystal retaining ring properly. You may need to use the Clark retaining ring if it just won't work with the DW ring. The inner diameter of the various retaining rings seem to be reasonably consistent, but the outer dimensions vary a bit. For example, a gen 1665 bezel is too lose on (what I believe to be) a Clark 1665 retaining ring, so maybe the Clark bezels are a bit smaller than most.

Edited by alt.watch.obsessive

Make sure the crystal retaining bezel is pressed all the way down against the case with no high spots. As a.w.o said, try it without the tension washer and see if it works. If it turns Ok without the tension washer you can sand the tension washer down on 1000 wet or dry sandpaper on glass (or anything flat) under running water to thin it down until it provides just enough tension to keep the bezel in position.

Make sure the tension washer does not get out of place when snapping the rotating bezel over it because it will jam the rotating bezel solid. Also make sure the tension washer is not too small ID or too big OD causing the trouble.

If the bezel turns but has hard spots...take it off and put some polishing paste (Simichrome etc) all around where it turns, snap it on, and turn it back and forth as many times as needed to loosen it up. Remove the bezel, clean all the paste off and refit it on the watch.

I used Clark bezel kits on a couple DW 1680 cases with Clark 19 crystals and they worked fine after I sanded the tension washers down a little. I tried two or three different aftmkt crystals and the Clark 19 crystal worked the best but has no magnifier.