When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Alaska in the Summer

Nanuq

Yeah Dusk, I walk out in my driveway and the Milky Way is a stark band across the sky.  With my handheld (image stabilizing) binoculars I can see the moons of Jupiter, and the terrain of the surface of the Moon where the impact craters disappear over its horizon are clear enough you can almost touch them.

Then the Northern Lights come out and you can convince yourself you hear them crackling as they dance around.

Yep ... stunning!

Yeah Dusk, I walk out in my driveway and the Milky Way is a stark band across the sky.  With my handheld (image stabilizing) binoculars I can see the moons of Jupiter, and the terrain of the surface of the Moon where the impact craters disappear over its horizon are clear enough you can almost touch them. Then the Northern Lights come out and you can convince yourself you hear them crackling as they dance around. Yep ... stunning!

Sounds utterly magnificent! You are very lucky to be so intimate with the cosmos. Get yourself a Celestron c8 with goto on astro mart buddy ;-)

I was recently in Homer AK doing a consulting gig. Hardly slept for a week. Not use to it being light out that late....beautiful country though. Enjoyed my stay.

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.

Homer Alaska -- "A quaint drinking town with a fishing problem"

I'm surprised you got ANY sleep.  The constant daylight, the ocean, the Salty Dawg, the fishing, the hiking ... if you can scrape together 2 hours sleep / day you're doing well, and you're REALLY living the Alaskan experience.  :tu: