When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ever Been Called On Your Replica?

Raijor

No one gets the chance... if anyone ever asks I am never long to tell them it's a rep...

With the exception of a "friend" of mine who seems to think that it's hilarious to go telling people I have a fake rolex before I have a chance to and pretty much making me out to be some pathetic guy who tries to pull off fakes...

:thumbsupsmileyanim:I had an ex salesman from Goldsmith's jewellers in the UK "admire" my Brietling Cronomat Automatic. He spotted it while I was in a car showroom and "cooed" over it, telling me how expensive they are (£35,000 for the gen in white gold with mother of pearl dial !). That made my day ! I have also had a guy mistake my Seamaster Pro for the genuine article. :victory:

Have you ever been called on your replica? I have been wearing my new Trusty Sub LV for over a week and nobody has commented on it. I get the feeling most people are just not into watches and that they are rarely noticed.

I think there's a kind of personality who walks around waiting for someone to comment on what they are wearing. :whistling:

Actually, it reminds me of a funny story. I had a friend/roommate who came home home work one day wearing a sweater that looked like it had every color in the rainbow in it, like a Jackson Pollock painting. He normally changed out of his work clothes at the end of the day but this day he sat like a paint splattered peacock on the couch. Finally he asked me if I was going to ask him about the sweater. He proceeded to tell me the sweater cost an outrageous amount of money and was designed and produced by a computer program and that he was a little dissappointed no one at work had commented on it that day. I noticed and mentioned to him it looked like the product tag was on the outside of the back of the collar. "Maybe you wore it inside out all day?" "Oh Jesus, I did!!!" he said. The sweater was only slightly less ofensive turned right side out. He wore it to work again the next day awaiting questions and praise I suppose. He came home without it. "Where's your Jackson Pollock original?" I asked. "No one said a word about it so I took the [censored]ing thing back and got a refund"

What a pompus ass.

I say to each their own... if that's how you buy happiness... well we don't agree on it but that's your life.

Most of the time I wear a jacket or long sleeve shirt (I prefer my shirts a little oversized) so my wrists are not visible, only if you catch me checking the time or ask directly will you see my watch, and if I am checking the time you see only the 12 oclock side of the band, pretty much not even the face...

Also the way I dress and make myself out, no one would think for a second I have an expensive watch. So it does the only thing that's really important to me... makes me happy when I see it... occasionally makes a good conversation piece when someone does notice though :)

Dude, is that a guys balls in your avatar? :bangin:
Yup ! And if you look closely, he's blowin' off !! Neat spray job on a helmet, huh ? :victory:

I say to each their own... if that's how you buy happiness... well we don't agree on it but that's your life.

Most of the time I wear a jacket or long sleeve shirt (I prefer my shirts a little oversized) so my wrists are not visible, only if you catch me checking the time or ask directly will you see my watch, and if I am checking the time you see only the 12 oclock side of the band, pretty much not even the face...

Also the way I dress and make myself out, no one would think for a second I have an expensive watch. So it does the only thing that's really important to me... makes me happy when I see it... occasionally makes a good conversation piece when someone does notice though :)

Why wear long sleeves to cover your pride and joy ?? Women wear expensive jewellery for all to see and admire - to me, my watches are my jewellery, so why not show them off? I'm not bothered if anyone says anything or not because you can tell if people are admiring your watch without them having to say anything - I wear nice (rep) watches to 1) tell me the time and ii) as a fashion statement - Show the buggers off or buy a cheap Timex !!! :1a:

Never been called out once on a rep, as I used to work in one of the top accounting firms in Canada, and worked with many large corporations, where I met many different executives and CEOs.

To be honest, I used to at meetings, make sure the watch peeks out a little bit under the cuff, and since I normally wear large sport watches with suits (AP Offshores), it gets noticed. The Luminous Lange 1 got me the most compliments once from an executive board at Samsung Canada last year.

I've been called once on a genuine Rolex GMT II, but it was from some random idiot. I sold it quite quickly after that incident.

Never been called out. I once showed up to a meeting wearing the old FM Vegas rep and the client was wearing a gen gold Vegas he had bought with the proceeds of a good night in Vegas. Needless to say, I brought it up first. The funny thing was my roulette mechanism worked better than the gen. He agreed. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The official Rolex center in Indianapolis called me on both my gens. First was a circa 79 Tue Tone GMT transitional a year later a circa 73 1680. Both times they said they would take them in but they were probably not authentic. Both times asked me if the watch came from ebay and how much did i pay.They treated me like a second class customer.

Sometimes all the accuracy that goes into a fake is completely wasted.

I showed my moded MBW 1680 to a colleague who supposedly knew something about high end watches, he said it was OBVIOUSLY a fake because it had a plastic crystal and the bezel turned in both directions!

:g:

Responses I have gotten when showing people some of my watches (bear in mind they know it's fake becuase I wouldn't blow money like that on an overpriced watch) "I can tell it's not a real Rolex because:

Rolexes are more shiny (looking at my brushed sub)

Rolexes are gold

Rolexes have more buttons (sub again)

Rolexes have diamonds (don't have any diamond watches)

This part is missaligned (bezel which was not seated at 12 at the time) and a real Rolex would never have that broken

Rolexes have leather straps

The cyclops looks like it's just stuck on (sub)

The hand is smoother on a real Rolex (which is indeed true, but in this case he was looking at my Asian Daytona which has SO MANY mistakes it's rediculous) it should move completely smoothly (now this guy has probably never seen a real Rolex and I am pretty sure he was thinking like those electric clocks that really do just rotate and not tick).

- One guy did think it was a real rolex for a few seconds - "I can't believe you would spend HUNDREDS of dollars on a WATCH!!!"

Edited by Devedander

I guess it's how you present it.

Once at a party surrounded by gen Rollies I explained to a friend, who had a gen Sub, that my watch was a "fine replica" and not a "street knock-off". The group became intreaged and my modded Joshua LV sub became the topic of conversation. After being passed around the questions started:

How much?

"it all depends on the guy I know..."

Where did you get it?

"I'd rather not say..."

What kind of movement?

"a fine ETA movement..."

I didn't want to make it easy for these (rich) guys. They have been bugging me ever since. It actually is funny...every time we all get together my rep is always the topic of conversation. I wore my gen sub last time we gathered and they were somewhat disapointed :lol:

Well most of my friends can't afford and wouldn't buy a Rolex and aren't impressed by them really (the common thread amongst my circle of friends is (no offense to gen owners here) you are an idiot if you will pay that much for a watch becuase some company tells you it's wroth that much) but there is always my buddy who runs around telling people I have a fake rolex which makes me look bad and he told one very wealthy guy and his friends last night who didn't look like they appreciated it at all (the words used were "this guy has a fake rolex" so it doesn't sound good and sounds worse since I wasn't the one comming clean with it, so it looked like I was hiding it).

There were scowls all around and I was told I should have just bought a real one as they are only $2500... I alloted to that I couldn't find them for less than $4500 but didn't take it much further as these people were obviously pretty disgusted with the thought of a fake Rolex, although none of them could come up with a really legitimate good reason to pay full price for one (other than that they all owned only gens).

Different strokes for different folks I guess...

I do have to wonder if they would have changed their minds had they known I could fairly easily afford a gen Rolex but just choose not to (I live considerably below my means).

That sure don't sound like no friend to me, pardner :cowboy:

There is a guy at my office that is the same way. I told him that if we start talking about my watch I will divulge that its a replica, but otherwise it is none of his business to blirt it out to anyone we meet (even customers).

my family has a mix bag of people in different payscales, so there's always those with Gens and those with "reps" (i wouldnt' even call what they wear reps).

anyways, i haven't been called out, instead, it kinda happened the otherway around:

A cousin came in sporting a 35mm daytona (yes, 35mm daytona) bragging how he has a gen rolex and showing it off to my aunts and uncles. Not only is it 35 mm, it's a daytona with no chrono but day/date intead. Secondly, the bracelet is something like 16mm lugwidth narring down to 12 or 14. the casing is super dull and brassing in several areas :)

So of course, everyone calls him out.

The unexpected came when they called me over, because they wanted to compare my "GEN Explorer 1" with the Fake *obviously canalstreet* daytona :) ONLY if they knew :) :) :) they said:

"Look at how much smoother the sweep is on the explorer, the build quality. Look at the laser etched crown! how it doesn't rattle when you shake it on your wrist... the sheen of hte case. You should work harder like your cousin, then you can afford fine watches like him!"

The explorer I is a really nice rep with a swiss movement in it.

Poor cousin, he shouldn't have gloated so heavily :)