When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

NDT trading rivet bracelet

Kime

Cheers, no yuki does not have them. His reply said they won't have them any time soon.

I've gone ultra cheap look-a-like ebay +raffles clasp for a cheap sub at the moment, but I'm doing a higher end P/MQ and can't source a decent "replica". Happy to go gen but worried about weakness and sizing.

Roger that ... unless he's trying to drive the prices up?  I could sure use one for the Big Gonzo build.

Tell ya what, I'll trade Ken's entire watch collection for a good usable Yuki 7206.

Any takers?  :tu:

I could see that, but it's not like "I'd have to source one from here - which would be an extra $50..." Also, when they come back in stock they're not anymore expensive; that would be the perfect time to raise prices.

I feel like you could probably get a couple Yuki 7206s for his collection. Just saying, if you're going to bargain, at least bargain well! haha

^ Good point.  What if the quality has improved since the last person bought one 2 years ago and the current batch is good?  What if they are the same as the Yuki?

What if...

By the way, which is accurate to gen - stretch or no stretch (like a regular Oyster)?  How does the stretch version even work - springs or something inside?  Seems like more details to fail on you...

I'd love for someone to get one and do a review... $280 is a decent amount of change, though. Gen C&Is are like $500. What's his return/refund policy?

Also, if it is 7206 it is not correct to have stretch - only 6636 bracelets should stretch. However, I have one of the Yuki stretch 7206s... Probably the worst idea ever - if the watch is heavy at all it wants to stretch the bracelet, leaving the springs open to snag your arm hair and give you a very painful experience... Technically correct, but just an overall stupid idea.

Yeah, there's nothing worse than getting a rogue hair caught in a link.  I don't need a stretchy bracelet doing that nonstop.  I'd rather put it on a nice leather band instead, than have to deal with that on a daily basis.

How much is the Yuki again?  I think it's half that price, isn't it?

Edited by Mendota Explorer

Yep - $165. Mysteriously, the spring version is missing from their website now - it was there as late as last week (I check so often it's not even funny...).

Apparently the gen 6636 (spring bracelet) does pull hair, but in a "gentle" way? I don't know - that's just what I remember reading either here or over at VRF/TRF...

I tried to wear genuine stretch rivet oysters years ago and they were a real hassle. The heavier the time head is, the worse it is...you move your arm quickly and the watch ends up half way up your arm or upside down . It's like wearing a Speidel Twist-O-Flex with a Z clasp.

Non stretch are not as bad but they are still hair pullers.

This is no help of course but I have seen some newer watches with stretch rivet oyster type bracelets on them. A friend had a batch of new cheapo Asian made Walthams (distributed by MZ Berger NYC) a few years ago at his store with stretch oyster bracelets. I kept one but it is 18mm wide at the clasp and will not work with a rolex clasp. The center links are gold plated but it would be easy to buff it off with a satin finishing wheel.

timesofplenty on eBay comes up with unsigned rivet oyster bracelets now and then.

That's if the rivets are the right dimensions... :S

I can already say, they are not. Even before it arrives ! :-) But its a temp for a cheap build anyway so it is just to look "ok". It will also be the wrong weight, however, total cost a bit under 50 USD I think. Not in anyway a "solution" or substitute for hollow folded gen or "yuki".

"...are the  unsigned rivets the same spec as genuine...?"

Some are and some are not. You would need to know the width where it goes between the lugs, the width of the center links in case you have to change hoods, and the width of the bracelet where it couples to the clasp (most full size rolex clasps are 16mm). I have an unsigned bracelet from the 1970s (a guess on mfg date) that looks a lot like a C&I rivet bracelet except it is tapered down from 19mm where it meets the 20mm hoods to 14mm at the clasp. The clasp cap has an emblem stamped in it much like the rolex coronet but not exact. It was probably an 'unofficial' aftmkt accessory bracelet for rolex watches.

I got a no stretch C&I 20mm rivet oyster with a watch in the early 1970s and it was marked $49 list price iirc. They were in little plastic boxes on hooks in a counter display that you could turn around to look at the bracelets.

About 25 years later I was in the same store and bought two nos solid gold bracelets from a similar display that they kept behind the counter. They sold the bracelets to me at the marked list price of $299 for 14k and $399 for 18k which was below their actual worth a few years later.

Gold today is $42 per gram so a 35 gram 14k bracelet is worth about $850USD in gold...18k would be around $1100USD.

Quite a few of the 19mm and 20mm aftmkt bracelets I have seen had 14mm wide clasps. Genuine 14mm clasps came on lots of 6694 etc but prices for a clasp are pretty high now.

I bought a left over 882xxxx 6694 in 1989 for $925 (list price) at the store mentioned above...I bet the bracelet alone would bring a large percentage of that today.

I didn't mean the width, but rather the thickness of the links. Some of the rep rivet bands are nearly twice as thick as the gen or Yuki examples. There's a few things I can live with on a vintage piece (super lume or "new" looking dial or hands) but the rivet thickness is one of those things that really bugs me... I would rather put the wrong bracelet reference on than go with the too thick rivets.