When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any soccer/european football fans here?

thomasng

I would like to think Italy has a chance, but I have to agree with Edge, in that they tend to tighten up when push comes to shove. Oh well, heres hoping. FORZO ITALIA!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

14665-3584.jpg

Oh god....in that picture we have Abbiati as goalie :o

No, i don't think Italy can win the world cup.

Lippi 's gonna call up Vieri, currently one of the worst italian strikers :thumbdown:

<H1 class=headline>Vieri out for up to four weeks with knee injury</H1>29 March 2006

by Reuters

Monaco striker Christian Vieri will be out for up to four weeks with a knee injury, sports daily L'Equipe's website reported on Wednesday.

The Italian picked up the injury during his side's 1-1 Ligue 1 draw against Paris St Germain last Sunday. "I have to be optimistic, I have no choice," said Italy coach Marcello Lippi, who has until 15 May to name his squad for the 2006 FIFA World Cup™ in Germany. The Italian striker has been in Italy for treatment.

@ ryaku, Thankfully I think Vieri may not be able to play :thumbsupsmileyanim: , lucky for us I guess.

Just came back from the Croatian cup match in Split (Croatia)...

Hajduk (my team) - Rijeka 1:1....

I am not so happy...we had good chances for winning but on the resulto of 1:0 for us, my team started playing bad and pick up a shitty goal!!! DAMN!!!

but there is always the 2nd match...hope then goes better

Ok, let's get some things straight before this all gets out of hand :p

1. Ronaldinho is the best player in the world right now and has been for two seasons. Not Lampard. That's just the way it is.

2. England have a decent chance of winning. They are certainly not favourites, but if their players are fit, they probably have their best chance since '66.

3. Nothing wrong with a fit Owen and Rooney as a first choice strike force. They could justify their place in any world team.

4. Paul Robinson is not a great goalie. I can't argue with that.

Main worry is the lack of ability to finish teams, they will struggle with the south american teams especially.
Edge, there's no need to be worried. Here are England's last three results against South American teams (all in the last year):

England 2-1 Uraguay

Argentina 2-3 England

Colombia 1-2 England

England's trouble will be in the back. I also have to agree that Lampard is great, but certainly not the best in the world.

If history gives us any clue, we should look to a European team and probably the Germans. A South American team has only won once on European soil. I would also watch out for the Italians. In the end, Brazil has the most talent and is playing well, so they'll be the team to beat.

Also, there is no doubt that Spain is the biggest underacheivor. How can any team be so great in qualifying and yet do so little in actual tournament play?

Edited by robertrinaustin

Ok, let's get some things straight before this all gets out of hand :p

1. Ronaldinho is the best player in the world right now and has been for two seasons. Not Lampard. That's just the way it is.

2. England have a decent chance of winning. They are certainly not favourites, but if their players are fit, they probably have their best chance since '66.

3. Nothing wrong with a fit Owen and Rooney as a first choice strike force. They could justify their place in any world team.

4. Paul Robinson is not a great goalie. I can't argue with that.

Edge, there's no need to be worried. Here are England's last three results against South American teams (all in the last year):

England 2-1 Uraguay

Argentina 2-3 England

Colombia 1-2 England

First off, Ronaldinho is without doubt the most exciting player in the world however, not the best, he floats in and out of games and only contributes when he feels like it. Lampard on the other hand is involved in everything that both Chelsea and England do, his ability to pass the ball and his vision are second to none. IMHO al player that ALWAYS contributes and is ALWAYS on top form, especially having not missed a game in the league for over 3 1/2 years until he was given a hioliday recently, speaks volumes for the guy.

Now to the results against South American teams, I watched botht the Argentina and Uraguay games, and lets be honest they were VERY lucky to win both ESPECIALLY the Uraguay game. In an competitive international I believe that England will struggle against the South Americans mainly as England are COMPLETELY one dimentional and the coach hasn't got a clue how to change things, and due to lack of playing against SA teams on a regular basis.

Owen and Rooney would NOT get a game for any team in the world thats just PISH. sorry but Owen is the second most overrated player in the worls EVER, just behing Rooney. I have nothing against Rooney he is talented and in time may well be a name to remember however until a STRIKER can regularly bang in 20+ goals a season, then he is only a good striker.

Shearer, Henry, even Van Nistelrooy have banged in 20+ goals a season in consecutive seasons, Rooney hasn't even Scored 20+ goals ONCE, he only hit double figures for the first time last season.

Owen is not as good as rooney and they can't play together as it wastes Becham's talents. Becham is the best crosser of the ball in the world, but the 2 forwards are 5 1/2 feet tall, what use is that???

England need another dimension up fron, someone who demands marking and is an aerial threat, someone to take some of the focuas off of Rooney/Owen. Crouch is not the answer IMHO. They should prolly have went with Sutton...no laughing.....or Beattie.

Remember Shearer said that Sutton is the best forward he has EVER played with as he is a nightmare for defenders and allows you so much time.

Lampard on the other hand is involved in everything that both Chelsea and England do, his ability to pass the ball and his vision are second to none.

His passing and vision are second to Ronaldinho and Beckham, to name but two players.

[lots of stuff about how owen and rooney are the most overrated players in the world ever, how they don't score many goals, and how sutton and beattie deserve to be in the team ahead of them]

Reasons why Owen deserves his place in the England team:

A. Proven international track record. Owen has the 4th best England goalscoring record ever (better than Shearer (7th best)). Also 22 goals in 54 European games. B. Current form. 7 goals in 10 games this season. C. Everyone (apart from you) thinks he's a world-class player.

Reasons why Rooney deserves his place in the England team:

A. Proven international track record (taking into account how young he is). 11 goals in 29 England appearances. B. Current form. 13 goals in 32 league appearances this season (also creating 8 goals). C. Everyone (apart from you) thinks he's a world-class player.

Reason why Chris Sutton doesn't deserve to be in the England team.

A. Unproven track record at non-domestic level. 2 goals in 12 Champions' League matches. B. Current form. 2 goals in 14 league appearances this season. C. Everyone (apart from you and Shearer and perhaps his mum and dad) thinks he's a big-headed [censored].

I've already sufficiently destroyed your arguments, so I won't bother with Beattie...

Ratchpot,

How can you name someone to be the best player in the world who A. Can't Tackle, B. Only Plays Going Forward and C. Only plays when he feels like it. He is posted missing for 80% of most games. He has some fantastic toches and skills but most of the time they come to nothing.

Rooney,

Is NOT a world class player YET. I have no doubt that in time he MAY well be, however on CURRENT FORM, he is NOT. 13 goals in a domestic league is NOT world class, Henry is WORLD CLASS, he has more goals than Rooney having played far less games, in fact if you check....LAMPARD has more goals than you so called boy wonder so stop talking [censored].

Benckenbaur said it best "who has a need for a forward who doesn't score goals?"

He has not proved his worth by any stretch of the imagination, a forward will always be measured by his goal tally and Rooney's is average AT BEST.

I am not advocating that Sutton is the answer but england need another dimension to their play that is not offered by Owen or Rooney, both of whom should be in the SQUAD.

Having passers of the ball like Gerrard, Lampard and Beckham is waisted on 2, 5 foot forwards who will NEVER win the ball.

A player who is not small enough to get in for a child ticket would be a good adition to the squad.

However at the end of the day I hope that England get HUMPED by everyone at the world cup.

How can you name someone to be the best player in the world who A. Can't Tackle, B. Only Plays Going Forward and C. Only plays when he feels like it. He is posted missing for 80% of most games. He has some fantastic toches and skills but most of the time they come to nothing.

This is tooooo easy.....

European Player of the Year 2005: Ronaldinho

(runaway winner with 225 points to Lampard's 148)

Fifa World Player of the Year 2005: Ronaldinho

(poll of approx 150 international coaches and 150 captains)

Fifa World Player of the Year 2004: Ronaldinho

FIFPro World Player of the Year 2005: Ronaldinho

(poll of 38,000 professional players).

ROFL @ TwoTone pic

Thats like saying that Maldini is not in the same class as he has, NEVER been in the top 5, but is clearly the best player over the last 15 years.

Ronaldinho ONLY gets votes due to his dribbling and flashy skills, also add to that the fact that NO Premiership player has been voted as player of the Year, even Henry when he ran away with the European Golden Boot.

The Premiership player are not going to be voted as highly due to a bias, hence these polls are useless.