When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

79090 to a 1680

irolexu

Hi, so I am going to attempt to help a buddy of mine convert his gen 79090 into a 1680 and was curious what parts would you guys recommend?

I need a good 1680 dial for a ETA, correct hands, and I need a pearl (his fell out) also need a silver DWO. Of course if anyone has these parts please PM me. Has anyone ever done this before?

Also what do I do about the case back? Need a Rolex style case back to fit the case

He could get a PT 1680 and make a few mods and it would be better than messing w/ a Tudor watch.

Yuki sells a 1680 dial for eta, but the date window is to the right- not correct for a Rolex.

Correct hands- TC hands are pretty good

Pearl- Freddy's old standby- Ofrei has them for $20+.

DWO- I don't know of anyone who makes a DWO w/ Rolex fonts for the eta movement. Remember, the DWOs for rolex sit to the left of the eta DW.

The PT 1680 has a 2846-2 movement.

It has a somewhat decent dial and correct silver DWO with correct fonts.

You could swap in a better dial and you could put a better crystal and retaining ring on there

Gen crown and tube is another good mod.

For $500-600 you could build a decent 1680! 

Don't worry guys this guy has so many watches it honestly doesn't matter plus he will be able to swap back 

It doesn't matter how many watches he has, the project is stupid. A 79090 case is not correct for a 1680; among other things, it has a different caseback. If all you're using from the Tudor is the midcase, what is the point? It would be cheaper and simpler to buy a gen 1680 or build a super-rep from scratch then to convert a 79090.

Listen to these guys!! This is a really bad idea. Sell the Tudor add a couple of grand and get a gen 1680.

Problem is these are not good conversions, for a lot of reasons, mainly dial/ DW problems, incorrect Caseback, wrong engraving on case.

There was a guy here several months ago that converted a gen 79090 to a 9411/0. He was trying to sell the watch for almost what an intact 79090 sells for. I suggested he convert it back to original. Problem was he had either sold or misplaced the gen dial/hands. He had the watch up for sale for months, never had any takers. So if your friend persists, make darn sure he keeps all the parts he takes off, so that should he change his mind later, he can put it back to original.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk