When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why Would You...

Devedander

So normally I don't care a lot what other people think of what I do... as long as I am happy with my choices that's what I feel counts...

That said, I was caught off guard a while ago when someone asked me why I would waste my money on a fake Rolex. I wasn't thinking too clearly at the time (pretty busy and the question was sprung rather unexpectedly) and I was at somewhat of a loss for a good way to explain what I find interesting in reps.

Now I know we probably have lots of different reasons between us ranging all the way from the The Zigmeisters out there to the people who legitimately want to fool people into thinking they own real Rolexes... I am not trying to judge anyones reasons, but wonder what you say when the inevitable "Why do you" question comes up...

I have thought about it quite a bit and have my reasons lined up, but wonder, what do you say?

This is an interesting question for me, too. I have got a sub on the way, but that was only after my buddy bugging me constantly about Rollies all the time. I've resisted rollies because they're associated with fake watches.

And yet, interestingly enough I'm sort of on the fence for a rep like the Inge, which is by all accounts a close rep and even has a unique styling that I like. Why? Because it's an IWC. And even though I like IWC and appreciate what they've done in the history of watchmaking as a result of a couple of particularly informative synopsis given on this very message board...I've hesitated to in that direction.

Whereas, I think you kind of just have to have a sub in your collection. I quite possibly might not get another rolex.

With the big bang coming out, I'm also sort of weighing myself between two similar styles of watches, in the sense of being tool watches. Since I'm leaning towards the BB I'm backing off on the idea of the Inge for now.

I see the Ultimate PO bumping in front of it, too.

I'll give you a quick example of why I buy reps. Since I can remember I've wanted a Breitling Navitimer. I was always amazed by the watch and I still think its an absoloutely beautiful piece. However I'm still a college student so I'm essentially earning noithing at the moment. When I unwrapped the Navitimer from Andrew it was an undescribable feeling, I had a hell of a good replica of the watch of my dreams. I have been around a few Navitimer reps before when I was on holidays, but they were the faux-chrono junk. Now I will probably buy one or two gens in the future, but that will be a while down the road. For now I have this community to thank for allowing me all the pleasure of owning a great watch for way less than all the price.

Another thing I think is a kind of secret draw is the constant drive to getting the best posible replica of any particular model, along with the ability to tinker with and mod our watches. It gives us a special kind of attachment to the watches in a way different to gens. Its very satisfying opening up and regulating your latest watch, a process unlikely to be attempted on gens.

Personally, I enjoy buying reps because of its affordability hence allowing me to explore different watches. And why do I wear them? Dfferent reasons. Generally, the reps that I wear regularly are the watches I love but not to the extend of buying a genuine piece. There are certain watches I would splurge on a gen and other watches that I would simply stick to reps.

Another time when I wear my reps extensively is when I put myself in a situation where my watches are in vulnerable position of getting scratched or dinged ie. moving, gym, etc. Other than that, I generally find reps are a good way for me to try on watches, kinda like renting a genuine watch in a way.... if u catch my drift.

Good watches with good styling at resonable prices was the original reason. But since then, this has become a hobby and I have had and still do have lots of hobbies in my life which makes life intersting and just plain fun.

Something I did not think would happen is that I got interested in the insides. I bought some basic tools and every watch I get gets the once over and some I have even removed the stem, the movement and cleaned the inside of the crystal because of the haze that can develop from the manufacturing process and lubs used. So, no where close to a 'watchsmith' but learning and liking this hobby a lot.

And, it helps me get rid of all the dirty filty germ infested money I have.

Usil

Edited by Usil

Similar to some of the above responses, for me it's being able to afford something that I would never dream of buying due to the cost...

Take the classic submariner, what is the AD list price these days $5500? I don't like it *that* much to buy a gen....however $108 on a noobmariner or $190 for an ETA version from Andrew/Josh and for me it's a no-brainer.

Having said that if it is a watch I really really like I will buy the gen version, if a) my better half says OK ;) and b ) I can justify the price to myself. An example of this would be the non-chrono version of the Omega PO with black bezel.

IMO, you can make a strong case for reps, but you have to be completely honest to do it "I like the way Rolex watches look and I like wearing a watch that has the Rolex's reputation attahed to it but I'm not dumb enough to spend $500 for a decent watch and a $5000 surcharge for 5 letters, especially when I can buy a watch that's almost as good for $200" ought to do it for most people.

Nobody is going to believe you if you say you do't care about brand names, though--especially w/ rolex. There are too many "gens" that look exactly like rolexes for anyone to believe you "just like the way rolexes look and don't care about the brand name."

For what it's worth, Rolex ranks third on my list of brand preferences. However, there are three factors that make Rolex the heaviest collected in my watch box...

1) Vintage Rolex

2) Cosmograph Daytonas

3) The relative ease of building Franken-Rolex watches

Expanding on these factors... I REALLY like vintage Rolex watches. I've handled a good number of gens, and I just love the character that the old matte dials and acrylic crystal models have. These watches lived in a time where they were used for what they were- watches. Not collectables, not safe queens. So, it goes without saying that these watches have some history in them, and that's something that has always fascinated me. In recent years, the cost of select gen sports pieces have really started to escalate, and I cannot realistically justify the idea of buying a 1665, or 1655, 6263, etc. So, I buy a replication, and build it out as close to the genuine article as possible. Some may ask why? Well, for me, the hobby is probably quite similar to someone who builds model planes, trains, cars, or full scale replica cars, etc. It sort of speaks out on a sense of art, I suppose, as with each watch I put together has a part of me in it when it's finished (that being my time, effort, and love for the 'sport'). It's something I take pride in. The finished result also nets me a watch that I would always long to own, but hugely inflated pricing keeps such pieces out of my reach. I mean, c'mon... I'd rather spend $80k on my kids' education before I buy myself a timepiece I could build...

Cosmographs... Well, what can I say? I'm a sucker for Daytonas. I love them... Always have. For this reason alone, I don't mind having a couple of Rolex's in the box with the coronet sitting atop 3 stopwatch registers :)

Now, going back to the building thing... You already know my reasons for wanting to build my frankensteins... But, did I also mention how relatively easy Rolex makes it? The hard part is knowing where, and whom to source from. But, parts are out there... They're not cheap, but sometimes one can find good deals. Now, I never sell my watches, and I will never try and claim they are genuine, as they are most certainly not. But, every day of the week, I can wear a watch that I've always wanted on my wrist, and it means even more to me since I have a hand in it's creation.

We're all in this hobby for different reasons... These are mine :)

Happy time keeping...

For me, the reason is a little more practical. I have spent a lot of money on gens over the past five years. I see a watch and think that I will "love" it. After wearing it for a couple of months, I find that it really didn't "do it for me". So I sell it in the secondary market and lose a few hundred dollars. Then I discovered the world of reps. Now I can buy a rep of something I think I will like. Wear it for a couple of months and if I do in fact like it, then buy the gen. If I am not happy with the watch, I only lose the $200 or so that the rep cost. In the long run I am better off.

Until I discovered what rep collecting was all about, I was one of those with their nose in the air regarding gens. I couldn't understand why anyone would spend the money on a rep. Now that I have come to the realization that there are several reasons to own reps, I look at the whole rep market in a different way.

Of course there are those who buy the reps to deceive others, but there are many more people who own the reps for some very good reasons. I want to openly thank the members of RWG for opening my eyes to some of those reasons.

I only own one replica Rolex, the obligitory SS Submariner. I can tell you why I buy replica watches.

Two basic reasons. When I buy because the driving force is that the reproduction is so close to the original, I almost have the feeling that I am getting an out of this world bargain. I own three watches that are so close, no one would dare challenge them. They have a total genuine value of over $12,000. It seems like a no brainer.

The other reason is driven by appearance. Seeing something that is absolutely gorgeous like an FA Jones and never having a prayer of owning a $10,000 solid gold piece, I have the opportunity to own something reasonably close for 1/100th the price.

I don't own fakes to fool friends and co-workers. People, in my experience are much more impressed and facinated by the dark world of high end swiss movement copies and their procurement than they are by what they consider to be the frivolity of spending thousands on a wristwatch.

Let's ask this question: Why would somebody buy a real rolex? What's the bonus, ya gona dive 200m with it? Feel less guilty when telling somebody you paid shed loads of money for it? Have it for a lifetime and never needing/wanting another watch? O yeah... To have a floweless looking piece, coz all reps have noticeable problems, right? What, the crown guards, bazel insert, what? Naaa, can't be that, so what?

...I cann't see a reason why would somobody buy a genuine Rolex, absolutely none whatsoever. I personally don't like the brand, would never wear it even if I get if for free, but if I liked it, I would only buy reps. It is the most overpriced brand around, rip-off par excellance!

Well, genuine Rolex does have it's merits. How many brands out there can say they are true manufacturers? How many companies out there use in-house calibers in a watch that's priced under $5k new?

Not many... Only a handful, and most of those are made in Japan.

With regards to buying a genuine watch... I'd buy a Rolex before a Panerai with an ETA inside :)

Well, genuine Rolex does have it's merits. How many brands out there can say they are true manufacturers? How many companies out there use in-house calibers in a watch that's priced under $5k new?

Not many... Only a handful, and most of those are made in Japan.

With regards to buying a genuine watch... I'd buy a Rolex before a Panerai with an ETA inside :)

There's something under addressed and that is the remarkable reliability and quality of Seiko and other Japanese movements. I agree with you Ubi, they are in house movements, high quality and if thew were Swiss, we'd be singing a different and louder tune about them. I think they are very under appreciated. These 17 and 21 jewel powerhouses run very accurately when adjusted and are Klingon Warriors giving many years of maintainence free service. I have a Seiko 17 jewel automatic that runs +- 15 sec/day, is 13 years old and has never been serviced or adjusted.

Nobody ever notices my watches. I buy the watches for my own enjoyement. It's useless to argue about the luxury brands. NONE of them offer good value for money... not even Omega anymore...they have raised the prices of their whole Seamaster line. If you want good value buy a Seiko.

About Rolex... I can almost understand buying a genuine Sub, GMT or Daytona... but how can anyone be stupid enough to pay $4K for a new Rolex Explorer I? Even the rep doesn't sell well for $150... although it's almost 1:1. :lol:

...I cann't see a reason why would somobody buy a genuine Rolex, absolutely none whatsoever

Because they can, because it makes them feel good, because they are snobs, because they like to wear 'labels', because of brand perception and because in reality they maybe very good watches...

Because they can, because it makes them feel good, because they are snobs, because they like to wear 'labels', because of brand perception and because in reality they maybe very good watches...

My dad has 2 gen Rolexes (third is coming). He just has extra cash to spend... and he could never wear a replica watch. It's his "high moral ground" or whatever... probably more a "generation gap" than anything.

He was almost outraged when he saw my replica GMT Master. He called it a "perfect forgery". :bleh: Actually he's cool about me wearing the reps... they fascinate him. We had a discussion about this and his argumentation was "Nobody would know, except yourself. Why lie to yourself?" I can perfectly understand his approach. Some people who collect fine art would never accept for a 1:1 copy, either. But I "don't feel I'm lying to myself"... I'm not buying reps to impress anyone... at least that's not the first reason... and watch is not the best thing to make impression to anyone (people rarely notice it). I just love all kinds of watches, especially Rolex, Omega, Breitling and other luxury brands... and for the 1/20 of the price the reps are good enough for me. It's nice to be able to own almost unlimited amount of great looking watches, instead of just 1 or 2.

My current salary would permit me to buy a few gens... but just like Bill I wouldn't give $5K of my hard-earned money to Uncle Rollie. :lol: Reps are way more fascinating... and this community is the best online community I've been into. If I bought a gen Submariner who would care? Where's the excitement, the "forger's art" and the bargain? Maybe we all have a little bit of "criminal mindset"? :)

I look at it like this and I may be different.

I would buy a $15.00 Timex and wear it if I liked the way it looked. Look at all the Seiko, Movado, Bulova, ESQ, ect.(basicly your $200-$300 watches) you want and after a while they all look the same.

Then look at a DeWitt, FM, Hublots, etc. they are unique and original designs that set them apart. While I am not about to dump $10K+ for an original looking watch I would have no reservation about spending $200-$300 for the looks. Much like the guys that build the replica Shelby Cobras, you know they are just replicas so to speak, but you can't go to your local dealership and buy one.

My watches are what they are tools to tell time. I wear them to the gym, at work, working on the house, working on the car and they all have their scars, knicks, and scratches to show for it. Atleast I don't feel guilty about breaking a $200 watch like I would if I broke a $4000.00+ gen. I have 2 gen Gucci watches that were in the $800-$1,200 range when I bought them. In the last year I have worn one of them once. Maybe one day when I am older and slow down a bit I would consider buying a gen. knowing that it would stay nice long enough to make the initial expense worth it, but with my lifestyle now it just isn't going to happen.

As has been noted in the past, the vast majority of people don't know much/anything about watches, so wearing an IWC, Omega, Panerai, etc, will have no impact on you or them. But, there are a few people out there that do know about watches and will judge you based on your watch (and other clothes as well). I find this particularly abhorrent, and I refuse to buy a gen to fit into their little "club". I'd much rather buy a good rep and wear it as a means of subverting the entire structure of that "club". In other words, wearing a good rep is my way of giving a big middle finger right up the @ss of those pretentious jerks.

Because I like the design of the watch and if I can get it w/o paying a rediculously inflated price.. I will! That goes for any rep.. Rollie or otherwise. Gen watches are a lot like diamonds.. really not worth much but hyped to the point where you think they are worth what they are asking.

Of course there are those who buy the reps to deceive others, but there are many more people who own the reps for some very good reasons. I want to openly thank the members of RWG for opening my eyes to some of those reasons.

We all buy reps to decieve others, or else we'd go down to the timex store and pay $30 to try out watches---Timex makes copies of nearly every watch made, from Rolex to FM to Brietling to Roger Dubuis. All of them are close enough to see whether you like the style on your wrist. That way you'll only be out $30 when you decide you don't like it.

C'mon....unless anyone wears a little sticky note on their reps that says, "THIS IS FAKE" they're decieving everyone who thinks it's real and doesn't ask about it...