When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Two Projects - Three Years in the Making

ww12345

Some of you may be familiar with these projects, especially one of them... :)

Around August of 2011 I caught the GMT bug, because that was the year of GMTs, much like this year was the year of 1016s. I saw some of the work done by members here and knew I had to have one, but couldn't figure out - did I want 6542 or 1675? Call me crazy, but I always felt the brighter colors of the 1675 Pepsi bezel too garish, and the black inserts too boring. I decided I would go with the 6542 and its beautiful understated acrylic Pepsi goodness... And thus the project started.

I had an old Silix rep sub from when I first got into reps which was horribly inaccurate, so I used it as the donor case. I sourced an Ingod dial (black, as I didn't want to draw too much attention to the watch) and a small GMT hand. I decided to use a DG3804, because from what I read here it was a very reliable movement with cheap replacement cost should thing a go south. I also obtained a rep crown and tube and an insert from JoeyB. Gleefully I packed it all up and mailed it to PBDad. He did a fantastic job in a pretty short amount of time (I was impatient) but unfortunately my cheap side came out and I had him not relume the dial, as all of the line from Ingod had rubbed off, leaving the bare dial plate. I figured it would be cake to lume the dial from the top down if he left the crystal unglued. Anyway, one bottle of glue and some messed up hands later, my lesson was learned too late. The watch sat in a pile of gluey parts for the better part of a year, a monument to my frustration and sadness. :)

Around that same time I became fascinated with a custom 1675 which was created for the Transglobe Expedition. Oliver Shepard, leader of the expedition, had wanted a 1655, but felt the dial was too busy and illegible in harsh conditions, but that a GMT would be too fragile with its moving bezel. He had Rolex swap a 1675 dial and movement into a 1655 case, resulting in one of the coolest looking watches ever - the fixed, brushed bezel of an EXP II with the easy to read handset of the GMT Master. Anyway, I set about collecting parts - a Josh 1655 case, a gen 1675 dial, and a Zodiac GMT movement and gen spec hands. I had done some reading on this site and saw that at least one person had made a watch using that movement, as it had gen spec hands and a DW which turns in the right direction. What followed was three long years and five modders later, as each one I sent it to would give it a go for a few months then give up, as the modding of this movement is unlike any other. These parts bounced their way back and forth, doing more globe trotting than I did in two years, before finally ending back up with the modded who started it all - JMB. He tried his best to get the Zodiac movement to work, but in those three years I realized the movement was not to be. Finally, I agreed to a 2836GMT movement swap.

At the same time, he was working on my 6542, which he described as a mess (mainly due to my attempt to glue in JoeyBs insert) and convinced me to use a 2836 on that as well. He crafted an amazing roulette DWO and a new insert (the glue had partially eaten away the old insert) and we were in business again.

Anyway, long story short - three years, and some of JMB's magic later, I have two very amazing watches. Thanks to all the members here who helped out - first and foremost, JMB, but also the other unnamed members - I'm sure you know who you are... One doesn't usually forget headaches! Haha

And now, pics:

post-32456-140803801329.jpg

post-32456-140803805015.jpg

post-32456-140803807451.jpg

post-32456-140803809645.jpg

post-32456-140803811886.jpg

I would like to point out that in the end I had this watch assembled with the Zodiac movement.  The time could be set properly, the GMT hand tracked properly, the sweep hand was ticking right along, and the date clicked over nicely.  The only problem was THE HANDS DIDN'T MOVE - hands stayed right were you set them!!!  I tore it apart one last time, could find nothing wrong so installed a bit stiffer dial spring-washer (just to make sure), put everything back together, and no change.  At this point I think I made threats regarding the continued existence of the movement as a semi-cohesive assortment of components so WW finally "saw the light" and opted for a good Swiss 2836 with GMT complication.  After that decision was made the watch was finished in the next day or so...

If somebody is curious as to how to use the Zodiac I'd outline the process but I swear I'll never let another in the door! PITA

But, glad it's finished and back where it belongs and hopefully WW will wear it proudly for many years!

Oh, they DO make a lovely pair... ;)

Ah - good point. That was a part I'd left out of my story (I felt we were getting into Hemingway-style rambling haha) but J did have it running with the Zodiac movement. Actually J, I don't think you were off at all; I believe that the movement had not been serviced properly. The service person I used (who I'm not even sure I want to name) said it was missing a few parts and he'd see if his parts houses could get the parts. Anyway, he said he could get them and install them, but it would be a while. I made the mistake of telling him the project was delayed anyway, as it was waiting on a dial relume, and that my modder probably couldn't get to it for a couple months anyway... From going back through earlier emails he mentioned that he could get the movement running, but that the parts missing drove the hour and the minute hand, so as soon as he could install those it would be good to go... I'm wondering if he ever even ordered the parts. I know I was charged for them and for the install, but curious that the same problem it had going into service is the problem it had coming out of it... I didn't even make the connection until J told me what the problem was.

Anyway, yeah - J threatened to use Nanuq-style "vintaging" techniques involving a sledgehammer and the Zodiac, so I relented and used the 2836 GMT! Haha

And yep - been on my wrist since I got it in the post yesterday... :)

I applaud your hard work. It shows. But, with this level of sophistication, you NEED a camera with a macro feature &/or to work on your picture taking skills. These pics do little to show off details. My only real complaint about the watch is that the datewheel font looks more pink than red, which spoils the overall effect of an otherwise very competent project.

Yeah... I need to get a lightbox still. Maybe I'll try to mock one up later tonight.

Also, the DW is a touch on the pink side, but for the moment that's OK with me. I would love a slightly crisper DW anyway, so that's an upgrade I can get in the future. Any tips on a source for one?

...which he described as a mess (mainly due to my attempt to glue in JoeyBs insert)  (the glue had partially eaten away the old insert) 

The 6542 insert should be installed using either double-faced tape (like golf club grip tape) or, as freddy333 said in his first build, RTV silicone adhesive. I've used both, neither harms the painted backing. The tape will add some thickness, so if the bezel you are using isn't deep enough the insert might sit up too high. On my own watches all, lexan and metal, are installed using black RTV.

Send me a pic, and maybe I can salvage the insert. 

freddy333, if you have new method please let us know.

@lhooq: Thanks! I can't believe you don't have a GMT! What's the hold up? Haha

@JoeyB: Nice compliment from the other GMT master... Thanks!

Yeah, that's what PB had used (tape), but it kept falling out. In my early modding naïveté I figured a ton of glue would hold it. It did, but made a mess of the watch in the process. Will send a pic. :)

I second droptopman on the perseverance! Both beautiful pieces WW, this right here is what has me so drawn to this hobby. As awesome of a feeling as it might be to own a gen I'm sure, who needs one when there's guys on here that can put stuff together like this, very inspiring builds, my hats off to those involved!

Cheers

The tape will add some thickness, so if the bezel you are using isn't deep enough the insert might sit up too high. 

The way this bezel is shaped as far as the insert "pocket" I'm pretty sure it was designed for one of the cheapo stamped sheet-metal inserts and a flat bottomed insert would not even start to set in.  The insert that had been on it was a little smaller in ID and had been glued with "gusto."  I machined off a little of the bezel and got it to set down a little but was afraid if I went much further I would be getting into the groove where the spring lives and I didn't want to go there!

What needs to be "salvaged" as far as the insert is concerned?

The way this bezel is shaped as far as the insert "pocket" I'm pretty sure it was designed for one of the cheapo stamped sheet-metal inserts and a flat bottomed insert would not even start to set in.  The insert that had been on it was a little smaller in ID and had been glued with "gusto."  I machined off a little of the bezel and got it to set down a little but was afraid if I went much further I would be getting into the groove where the spring lives and I didn't want to go there!

What needs to be "salvaged" as far as the insert is concerned?

Yep, I've run into that before. With the Silix case, the glue in crystal set-up, the bezel seat AND the crystal mount 'walls' had to be flattened out. And the 'Tiger 2' case bezel is cut cone shaped for the metal insert. It is so small I couldn't get a tool on it to flatten it out. It was a real pain for me not having your skills.  

I can't tell for certain from the pictures, but I might be able to 'refinish' the ruined insert and make it usable. 

If you're talking about the old insert, yes, it probably would be possible if you can find something to dissolve the glue without attacking the plexi.  I didn't want to mess with it and ruin it plus the OD of the insert was a bit smaller than the "seat" in the bezel.

• 2 weeks later...