When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor Black Bay V2 vs V3, any difference?

Rivi1969

Good evening,

Just searching for one TBB and torobravos is featuring a newer V3 version... puretime has V2, both 318usd -the same happens with the Noob Subs (V3 in puretime vs V4 in TB) - I read in other post here than they are the same, so I wonder if you could tell me if there is a difference or is just a marketing move between dealers. I know both are TD, just want to make sure!

One other question, a watchsmith could make a watch waterproof? At least waterproof enough to do some swimming?

Regards,

Ricardo

Here is what PT claims:

The V2 Black Bay has updated the color of makers's gold and hands's gold, they are the same color now; Case、Caseback、Buckle and Sapphire are remade and are very similar to genuine; The pearl is reproduced and it's shape is very close to genuine; The Crown Tube is longer than V1 and the Tudor Flower on the crown is Thinner than V1

I do not know if this is correct. Just quoting.

Any way. It sure is a great rep.

-Alex

• 1 month later...

You should be able to make most watches water resistant as long as they have a screw in crown, plus the O-ring gaskets on the crown, the case back and the crystal. They need to have a thicker form of silicone put on them. I like the Seiko product best for water resistance. It's thicker than petroleum jelly and a little hard to work with but it does the best job. If you are not comfortable disassembling the case back, pulling the crown and lubing the O-ring and making sure the crystal has some sort of gasket, then send it to a trusted repair person. Remember that these are reps. I don't think Tudor has a Helium valve as those need to be sealed as well on reps.

You best bet for water play is to buy a good Quartz. I used a Luminox Black Ops and it has a screw in crown and tritium markers. It the watch I choose for water. It's rated for 200M which I will never go down to, but I do like to free ocean swim. It's good to know the time. All watches claim water-resistance, not waterproof, even the Gens because it's easy to miss something and salt water will ruin a movement faster than you can blink nits why I choose a replaceable sub $400 Gen. However plenty of threads in the watch boards to show case resistance without the movement and you can decide.

that is an inaccurate statement, I have the black bay and I took it for a scuba trip. right out of the box. just make sure that the crown and the case back are secured and you will o.k. Also the TC, Omaga PO and the panerai. have been in the ocean and the pool. not issues here

Frankly speaking cib0rgman that is poor advice. Just because you have had good luck doesn't mean every one will. The whole issue with reps is that there is no quality confirmation and no consistency. So to say that because one happened to be water resistent they all are is not correct.

Well, while there are obviously no guarantees of water resistance in the rep world, I believe that current offerings are not bad at all. Depending on model of course.

I have 16 watches and have not hesitated to get any of them wet. Shower, pool, recreational swimming. No real diving. Not a single water related failure to date.

My advice...... Be more careful with chronos. Don't worry about rep divers, but also don't do any serious diving with them.

Lastly, remember Murphy's Law!

Back on topic...

So given the description of the v3 on the TD site it's safe to assume that's the "best" version? I know the latest version doesn't always mean the best. I know v1s had some with mismatched lume on the dial and hands and issues with the bearings in the clasp.

Seems like a solid rep for the money.

The new V3 is the best available when it really is a complete V3 with no mismatched parts. Intime (not a TD here, but solid) has it for $298,- with SS bracelet and leather band with deployant included.  The V2 in my opinion was the worst version with too white hands and totally mismatched lume, still very happy with my V1, nice creamy white hands and dot makers, uniform lume, good bezelring-clicking, never had any issue (like many others) and all is solid and fine, have used it a lot.