When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gilt?

droptopman

Hi all,

I am still learning here and this confused me.  I am shopping for a genuine 1966 5513 gilt dial and ran across this.  Am I missing something here.  Says this is a "rare gilt" dial http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Rare-Rolex-Steel-Submariner-5512-Glossy-Gilt-Dial-with-Box-Papers-1961-/191294623400?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item2c8a0c4ea8

This looks black and white to me?

I was under the impression that gilt generally referred to gold tone and on these vintage (66 and earlier) Rolex gilt dials it meant that the black lacquer is placed on top of the plate in a way that allows the gold color of plate to show as the text.  I know a simple description for a very complicated process, but you get what I mean.  I found several discussions across many forums about this and this was the consensus.  Is this an incorrect description?  Or am I just that uninformed?

Thanks  

Very interesting I am glad I asked.  It did look like the black was above the text so that made me think it was done in the gilt fashion, but I just have not seen any that looked this white.  Probably more likely, I have seen others like this but just did not recognize that they were indeed gilt.  The seller has good feedback and everything else looked correct on the piece, so that is what confused me.  This piece is not the year I am after though so the hunt continues.  If anyone runs across a nice 1966 5513 please let know.  

Thanks guys very helpful.    

Are you by any chance looking for a "birth year" 5513? ;) This one looks nice, but it would have been better if they had a few more photos. I know that getting good photos of gilt dials/hands is very difficult. I have a couple of MKII Kingstons with gilt and at some angles, they look silver. You have to get the light and reflection just right , but they are really something when they are viewed from the right angle.

Have you tried a WTB over on the Vintage Rolex Market ? Lots of stuff changes hands over there.

Are you by any chance looking for a "birth year" 5513? ;) This one looks nice, but it would have been better if they had a few more photos. I know that getting good photos of gilt dials/hands is very difficult. I have a couple of MKII Kingstons with gilt and at some angles, they look silver. You have to get the light and reflection just right , but they are really something when they are viewed from the right angle.

Have you tried a WTB over on the Vintage Rolex Market ? Lots of stuff changes hands over there.

Yes birth year piece:). I always bought new gens and never really looked much at vintage pieces until I found this place. I think I was always afraid of getting burnt due to my lack of knowledge. Now I am obsessed with the vintage pieces. Reading/studying and shopping all the time.

When I was doing some research on gilt dials I ran across a thread about the creation of the MKII dials with pictures of the process. Very cool read and very impressive outcome.

I have looked on most of the gen forums but have not posted up wtb yet. I didn't realize it would be this difficult to find a piece, but I guess I am looking for a pretty specific 48 year old watch...

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.

Counter to intuition, when the brass plate base dial is too polished, the gilt effect is less "golden" and consistent.. So the plates were usually "satinized" prior to the galvanic black layer was applied. The satin finish created a much more pleasing effect under all lighting conditions. But back in the early '60's, this process was not a science and the satinization process varied from dial to dial

I know right, except my parents would have been in junior high.

One thing I do know is that I want a gilt model even more now. I have looked at a bunch of gilt dials today and they are all just a little different. How did I miss that all these years. No understanding of the process to make such a unique thing. It's like seeing things in a different light. I always liked gilt dials but never really paid close attention to the subtle nuances. I know we are talking about time pieces here (material objects) nevertheless this little post and discussion was somewhat of an epiphany for me...

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.