When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Offensive?

TheMoissaniteLady.com

Ha! Ha! So far, the only offensive fish I have ever experienced is when someone leaves it outside to rot after cleaning it up....the smell is enough to make you toss your cookies!

We have a private lake behind our house, and we have fishing parties a few times a year here, and the left over fish guts always get burned because if they don't, you can smell it for miles around....UGH, it makes me sick just thinking about it!

This story sounds strangely similar to Sash's - also banned from what i presume is the same forum - just at the moment that he began selling items (handbags) which were being sold by another (and earlier) member of the same board.

Oh, and by the way:

May God's blessings be upon you and yours (including the fish - whatever that has to do with it).

Have I offended anyone?

If not - since my intention was not to offend - fine.

If so - and despite my intentions,

GREAT!

Red Snapper "Alicante"

Ingredients

• 2 to 3 large sweet, yellow onions, diced

• 2 pounds Red Snapper fillets

• 4 bell (green) peppers, sliced into rings

• 1/2 cup olive oil (ext virgin, if handy)

• 1 teaspoon salt

• 1/2 teaspoon pepper

• 1 Tb tomato paste

• 3/4 cup brown beef stock gravy

• 1 cup Sauternes wine, or other sweet, dessert wine(e.g., late harvest riesling, tokaj, muscat, etc.)

• 2 cloves garlic, minced

• 1/4 to 1/2 cup sliced almonds

• 8 large shrimp, (cleaned & cooked)

Preparation

Place about 7/8 of the onions & some of the peppers in the bottom of a 13 x 9 x 2-inch casserole (i prefer the all-clad steel as opposed to ceramic); place the snapper on top of onions, lightly salt & pepper it & cover with the almonds. Place the remaining pepper rings & onions on top of that. In a bowl mix together remaining ingredients; gently pour over casserole. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes, or to your liking. Serves 4.

Goes great with Spanish/yellow rice.

Only a small minority of people really care enough about which creation/afterlife myth another person believes to be offended by a fish, but that minority is usually aggressive and loud (and by the way, are most often people who believe a different creation/afterlife myth, not atheists), so I can understand a forum admin avoiding conflict by barring all forms of religious expression.

I may be wrong, but I doubt Jesus cares whether or not you have a fish in your avatar on some message board as much as he cares about the fervency of your belief of John 3:16, so maybe doing a catch-and-release of the avatar isn't such a big deal?

I've read this thread and agree with Pugwash. Barbara, although you may not agree with the admins on that forum, you should not chafe and should be decent enough to respect their wishes, no matter if it seems like an agnostic politically correct mindset. When I jump between forums, I keep aware that I'm in someone elses house with different rules, and don't try to bend them. I also use different sides of my personality for each forum, where one would probably not be well looked at in another forum although the subject is the same.

If you really believe they are trying to shut you out because you tell the truth about your product, just be cool about it and play by their rules, it gives them less reason to be unreasonable.

Oh, and may all of God's Blessings be upon you this season for the reason!

I was in Alicante last year - didn'T have any fish :)

Red Snapper "Alicante"

Ingredients

• 2 to 3 large sweet, yellow onions, diced

• 2 pounds Red Snapper fillets

• 4 bell (green) peppers, sliced into rings

• 1/2 cup olive oil (ext virgin, if handy)

• 1 teaspoon salt

• 1/2 teaspoon pepper

• 1 Tb tomato paste

• 3/4 cup brown beef stock gravy

• 1 cup Sauternes wine, or other sweet, dessert wine(e.g., late harvest riesling, tokaj, muscat, etc.)

• 2 cloves garlic, minced

• 1/4 to 1/2 cup sliced almonds

• 8 large shrimp, (cleaned & cooked)

Preparation

Place about 7/8 of the onions & some of the peppers in the bottom of a 13 x 9 x 2-inch casserole (i prefer the all-clad steel as opposed to ceramic); place the snapper on top of onions, lightly salt & pepper it & cover with the almonds. Place the remaining pepper rings & onions on top of that. In a bowl mix together remaining ingredients; gently pour over casserole. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes, or to your liking. Serves 4.

Goes great with Spanish/yellow rice.

Off topic, but speaking of fish, I have a wonderful new recipe for red-snapper "Alicante", if anyone wants it. It's an oven broiled snapper, with a gravy made of Sauternes, bell peppers, and almonds. Fantastic. :D

you are quite the Renisance man, dude. very impressive.

While I agree with your point entirely, I have to pull you up on this bit.

Where are people tearing down nativity scenes?

And wasn't the ten commandments removed because it was in a courthouse where the ten commandments contradict the law?

eading through this thread the primary issue is being missed, at least in my view. there is big difference between conveyence of personal expression, and government sponsored communication that potenially expresses a preference of religous conviction. In the US, there is a strong seperation of church/state culture/tradition, codified in the declaration of indepennce and at least on foreign treaty (alluded to previously). Individuals have a right to worship in the manner they choose, or to not worship at all. To assure those rights, all levels or government are oboliged to take care, actually resist, engaging in religous expression. Hence the issue around nativity scenes on public land, and ten commandments in government court houses.

As gio, indicated d previously, individual expression falls into a different category all together. I do not find it offensive, but others e may find it at least presumptuous in that it assumes the person you are speaking with believes in blessings are prayer, or christmas, or whatever. That is my view anyway.

Ok I have a little bee in my bonnet here, Barbara asked us if we find her using Blessings offends well the answer is obviously no.

However why are we even discussing this banning from another board bit, I mean we have no idea who they are and only have Barbara's explaination of what actually happened. :blink:

Ken

The primary issue is about following the rules of the house you're staying in.

maybe... but your initial point or question (the one i responded to) was related to your observation of current events around the expression of personal blessings vis-a-vis the banning of public displays of what could be considered religous expression, eg. nativity scenes in town squares, ten commandments in public courthouses etc... This is a real hot isue in the US at the moment. Your second point around the rules or a private forum may be well-taken, but I agree wit Kenberg, we really do not know the context of the ban other than from second hand hearsay.

maybe... but your initial point or question (the one i responded to) was related to your observation of current events around expression of personal blessings avis-a vis the banning of public displays of what could be considered religous expression, i.e. nativity scenes in town squares, and ten commandments in public courthouses. This is a real hot isue in the US at the moment. Your second point around the rules or a private forum may be well-taken, but I agree wit Kenberg, i.e. we really do not know the context of the ban other than from second hand hearsay.

Suspension, not ban, and the context was ignoring repeat warnings. She did push it and got the expected result.

ok, but by context i mean... do we know which forum she was suspended from? do we know first hand that her posts violated the forum rules? or that the warnings were appropriate within the construct of those rules? theoretically i am told moderators on other boards have make mistakes from time to time, although as I only participate on this one, i find that to be a foreign and odd concept... ;):yeah::yu: