When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

can you tell the gen dial from the rep?

mymanmatt

If you're going by the quality, left is gen. The whole printing on the right is centered off to the right side of the dial. It's quite obvious. Also the sunburst effect is much better, as is the shape of the coronet.

With that said, you'll probably tell us left is gen. :)

There are quite a few tells on the right dial as for example the Rolex logo letter proportions and spacing, the too thin register circles, the dial mark on the edge at 3 o´clock, as some people mentioned the swiss made spacing is off.

But those are quite small details, with some attention to detail those can be fixed and it would be much harder to tell if gen or rep.

Though, a lot of refinished DJ dials these days are sold on the bay and prices exceed even gen dial value!

Insane!

Good eye gentleman. The gen dial, which is perfect is a very expensive dial, If you can even find it. They run between $3-$400. Most of them are $400. The rep has been refinished and I have $130 in it. You are all correct on the flaws. First the refinisher had to keep the rr tracks centered around the markers. That's why it is offset on the dial. However, the rr track is a tight fit in the case and I am able to center the rr tracks and the dial in the rehaut so the space is the same around the outside. You are correct about the swiss made spacing. My refinisher has different width swiss made, and I think he chose the wrong one here. The plus, I've got to tell you, in person the rhodium finish is spot on. It's exactly like the gen. The font looks great to me. Maybe not micro spot on, but to the naked eye looks really good. Once the rep dial is mounted in the case it looks very centered and on the arm, 99.9% of all people will not know it's a rep dial. So, in conclusion, the difference in price is $270. For some people that is significant. This rep world that we live in is critical of all rep parts. I have to ask, WHY?  In the end, when its on your arm, it looks good. If someone wants to see it, and you show it to them, they don't know what their looking at, they see a Rolex, or an AP, or a Patek, or whatever your wearing. If you will wear it like a gen, no one will ever know. Just like creatures in the wild can sense fear, people can sense if your nervous about your watch, then they think fake all the way. LOL  Enjoy the holidays ladies and gentlemen, and wear those reps like they cost thousands of dollars, you'll be glad you do.    Also, the rep is for a 2 tone. Crazy the way the camera picks up light.

difference is huge..

hour markers fatter on rep

printing of the hour numbers less fine font..

Thinner letters on Rolex Oyster etc are too thin and small smaller in size

swiss made not correct

date window is larger, not clean cut and not correct bevel

the sunburst lines from the middle of the dial to the edge of the dial are less pronounced, but could be angle of picture as well..

Enough to improve I say

• Like 1