When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dial swap leads to...

dieselpower

Greetings.

I have a nice MBW 5513 bought from HH about a year ago which has had some casework and contains a slow beat swiss ETA 2846:

post-2563-0-01351900-1423399239_thumb.jp

I also have in my parts box and Ingod44 dial:

post-2563-0-70308600-1423399306_thumb.jp

So, I thought I'd send it off to somebody for a simple dial swap. Then I gots to thinkin'....

Those hands, standard MBW, wouldn't it be better if I had a set of Clarks (I've used Clarks before on a 1665 and am happy with them. Tudor would be better but lets keep an eye on the wallet!). Also, that crown. Again standard MBW - not good enough. So, hows about an Athaya 702 crown/tube set. Oh, let's not forget the plexi - what plexi should a 1970's 5513 have on it? I've got a Clarks T39 sitting in my parts box already - should I use that? Also the insert. At the moment I actually can't remember which insert is in it. I think it's the original MBW which I swapped the pearl out. Anyways I've got a gen service replacement insert which I could be put in but that leads to the pearl which I would like to be aged to match the slightly creamy Ingod dial and the (hopefully) matching hands when they've been re-lumed. Is it possible to 'age' the pearl on a gen bezel - am I mad? So you see I have lots of question and lots of options so I would like to formulate a cunning plan that actually works without having to send a 'kit' to an infortunate modder only for him to find that I haven't done my research properly and cause a problem.

To summaraise, I propose:

1. Dial swap (new school MBW to Ingod44 serif 5513)

2. Replace MBW hands with re-lumed Clarks set (or better ie Tudor if I can find some)

3. Replace plexi with Clarks T39 (if that's period correct)

4. Fit Athaya 702 crown and tube

5. Swap MBW insert for gen service replacement (assuming pearl can be aged to match)

There we have it folks - the embryo of a plan. To all you skilled people out there I respectfully ask if I am a half wit or if what I propose is feasible (ie alert me to potential fitting problems before I go down a blind alley) and please feel free to throw in some ideas of your own and I might just end up with the 5513 of my dreams  :clap2:

So, gentlemen, as you can see the simple dial swap has lead to many options/choices and your guidance and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Good plan.

All yes but #3 should be 25-19 crystal. A t39 is a possibility but a 5513 comes originally with a 25-19 crystal.

You can save some money if you keep the insert and replace only the pearl. But then again I would put the saved money in a gen plexi LOL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The TC hands would be better than the Clark's. If you are going to all the work, the few extra dollars would be worth it.

I would go wit a mixture of both. Hour hand and second hand from TC and minute hand from clark.

The TC minute hand is OK for recent to neo vintage builds, 16800 era but not for vintage 5513 era builds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That Ingod dial looks great.

CWP t-19 plexi is really nice cost effective option. There is a guy on eBay out of Australia who sells nice aged pearls for "reasonable" prices. Insert is tough without breaking the bank. TC hands are great but maybe not for a 5513.

Good luck.

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.

Crystals...

I have a few MBK cases and have had a lot of trouble fitting crystals on them. The case necks are both 28.2mm but the crystals are all over the place when the OD is measured after fitting them over the case neck. Some were too big (Clark 19) and some were too little (no name UFOs from various supply houses). Others were fine, GS PA 462-66 or PA 462-67 for example...but sometimes I had to swap the bezel sets around to get the best fit. One ended up with a GS PA 462-66 and Clark/ST bezel kit with the friction washer and it has a fine feel to it, the rotating bezel stays in place until you push down on it and turn it..just like a genuine watch when new.

Since I was making both into 5513 I was going with domed crystals and the crystal retaining bezels were either the stock MBK or Clark/ST. I did not try a genuine crystal because I only have a few and did not want to scuff the sidewalls up.

What I am trying to say is I had to try different combinations to come up with the best fit and all the trouble was caused by the crystals.

Over the years I have installed a thousand+ crystals of all kinds (not bragging but to qualify how I know about them) and have developed a 'feel' for how they fit. Sometimes I have lightly lubricated the inside diameter of the crystal retaining bezels with silicon grease to prevent scuffing the crystal but if the ring is loose at all it can come off, especially when r/r a rotating bezel but I never had any trouble on dress watches. You can also use dishwashing soap but believe me, that stuff can travel and it will get between the crystal and case neck in a hurry. Next stop is the dial, then the movement.

Regarding the Plexi, do you think the MBW needs to be replaced? I have the stock MBW on my 5513 and am pretty happy with it to be fair. If I were to replace it though I would seriously consider the Michael Young T19 superdome? I've read good things about it....

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207593/message/1372841763/Meeting+Michael+Young+in+Bangkok+%26amp%3B+a+replacement+T19

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/175739-cwp-tropic-19-on-vrf/

Just regarding the Hands, I wanted to hear the opinions why some people say the TC hand-set might not be ideal? Does the hour hand differ that much, i've been trying to compare pictures but am confused as to what the change was, and when it affected the line. Am I right in saying the hands on an original 5513 shouldn't have the curved feature apparent in the TC hour hand? should there be a line down the middle of the minute hand? Please chime in about this as I've just bought some TC hands which I was going to get coloured (no lume) to match the markers on my spider dial.