When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Important Announcement - Final Reminder

Finepics

I know that Lello has datewheels in stock. Any thoughts from Lello to see if his will fit the 2893?

Lello's DWs are recessed: have a look at his latest post here.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The recessed ones won't work in watches that require the flat because when you install the dial, it'll rub.

So really, you need the right date wheel, flat or recessed, based on what's already in there and not necessarily based on movement type since there seems to be variance from movement to movement. My 2893 with recessed tooth wheel happens to be on its way to The Zigmeister right now so he can take a look at it.

That's how I see it as well.

If you want to maintain the correct dial to datewheel spacing etc, then the simple solution is to see what type of wheel you have, and have the correct one sent in for that particular watch.

RG

Thanks for the reply, I'll have my guy open up my 063 and take a look. So, from what I'm reading the 2893 DW from Mark will most likely be recessed?

Since some people seem to have received recessed when they need flat or vice versa people may want to post up and possibly trade with someone that may have received the one they need.

I am not a watchsmith (nor do I play one on TV) but I recall having this conversation with both Mark and the largest ETA parts supplier in the UK before deciding which version I required. What I was told is that they are available in two versions and for a good reason. The stock 2892/GMT version comes with teeth sticking down. On the power reserve ETA had to change-up the date wheel as the required module reduced the amount of clearance. In order to deal with that ETA made a second version of the date wheel with "flat" teeth in order for it to fit. In point of fact I have two of both versions on the way from Mark and will see whether it actually works out that way. But that is what the suppier said. Finally, given the mixed results I am wondering if some of the movements in our reps are either very old or odd combinations (bastardized ebauche concoctions) of the two types of 289_ movements.

I am not a watchsmith (nor do I play one on TV) but I recall having this conversation with both Mark and the largest ETA parts supplier in the UK before deciding which version I required. What I was told is that they are available in two versions and for a good reason. The stock 2892/GMT version comes with teeth sticking down. On the power reserve ETA had to change-up the date wheel as the required module reduced the amount of clearance. In order to deal with that ETA made a second version of the date wheel with "flat" teeth in order for it to fit. In point of fact I have two of both versions on the way from Mark and will see whether it actually works out that way. But that is what the suppier said. Finally, given the mixed results I am wondering if some of the movements in our reps are either very old or odd combinations (bastardized ebauche concoctions) of the two types of 289_ movements.

Thanks for the clarification. Mark did seem to indicate that the PR movements required the flat wheels and that the GMT required the recessed ones, but like you say, there seems to be exceptions to this "rule".

You may very well have hit the nail on the head with that last sentence. Since Mark has both datewheels (flat and teeth sticking down) it would appear opening up and having a look at whats currently in the watch is the only real way to know what one needs.

Thanks for adding some clarity.

What would be lovely is if Mark were to actually log on and jump into this conversation! He could easily clear up all concerns and questions rather quickly. Can someone put a call into him and see if will help us?

What would be lovely is if Mark were to actually log on and jump into this conversation! He could easily clear up all concerns and questions rather quickly. Can someone put a call into him and see if will help us?

Still no sign of my datewheel after I paid a very long time ago, and I can't contact Mark. Should I just give up hope that I've waited very long for this item, paid for it, and still will never get it? :(

the admin - I talked to finepics last week and he asked me to get you to contact him. He says he doesnt know which address to send the datewheel to as he thought you were in Hong Kong. Contact me sometime.

• 4 weeks later...