When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Project 1675 pcg

cc33

I wanted to share what I found the other day. A friend of a friend had this project that he has been collecting parts for over the years, he decided to give up and sell it to me! Actually it was a trade for my gmt ii c and a little extra cash. let me present to you the parts collected so far.. he did a good job except the gilt dial is in not so perfect condition, and it's really supposed to be a swiss only gilt dial for such an early piece. Not sure if I will keep it or try to find a swiss..

16736354693_4ed2c2313b_o.jpg

17169083340_9cf94ea413_o.jpg

16734187984_1311ecfec7_o.jpg

17170490689_99520491f4_o.jpg

17356392721_04e80a01db_o.jpg

16736527943_85d9d607d2_o.jpg

17356816155_5f897eede1_o.jpg

17169347770_bd99320092_o.jpg

17356570221_efeacd9cf6_o.jpg

• Like 2

I think the 25-116 is the correct crystal for the 1675. I built my 'Cornino' from a 'Steve McQueen' Explorer following RolexAddict's trailblazing. I managed to use a 5.3mm genuine crown, as the 1675 had. I built it to the  1960 model. I really love it. 

post-16926-0-71181200-1430679378_thumb.jpost-16926-0-00833900-1430679445_thumb.j

Your Corino looks great Joey, is that one of your dials? Wow

The crystals are both correct, the tropic 38 was used early on, it's a super dome with no cyclops! They did use gilt dials until 66 I believe but the pcg's stopped in 63 and with them so did the swiss only radium dials.. For a 61 like mine it shouldn't have the later swiss t<25 dial but it's still ok, would have been changed during a service for example.

Thanks Whoop, You make a lot of sense, essentially gilt is gilt and it's gilt :)

That looks stunning, the lume plots are all uniform in colour, mine has some cream and some yellow... I was told it's "washed" and only the remnants of tritium remains. I'm thinking I may hold out for a nice swiss only... Hmm

Wow! Looks lovely, what are the specs? 

Thanks, all gen

Yep, the 'exclamation point' dial is one of mine, and next in line after my 6204 to be updated. I do love the gilt chapter ring dials. 

Awesome, making your own dials must be extremely satisfying! looking good

• Like 1

Amazing CC.   
Can't wait to see it all together.

I see more and more gens posted on this site everyday.

I think it only goes to show the natural progression of people's collections.

Most fiddle around with cheap reps at first... then graduate to Frankens.. then graduate to Gens. 

• Like 1

I'm thinking I may hold out for a nice swiss only... Hmm

Please let me know if you decide to let that tropical go.  I'll sell mine and make you an offer. 

And that Tropic-38 needs to live in Alaska too.  Let me know if you want to let it go.  :tu:

Amazing CC.

Can't wait to see it all together.

I see more and more gens posted on this site everyday.

I think it only goes to show the natural progression of people's collections.

Most fiddle around with cheap reps at first... then graduate to Frankens.. then graduate to Gens.

You would be surprised, I've had gens for 15 years now. I can't speak for others but I like both. Actually when I say both I really mean franken's and gens, I don't like reps that have no gen parts, unless it's a very well done vintage Rollie that speaks to me. I like those for my vacations.

I was so excited when I happened onto this forum a few years ago, the idea that I could build a watch that was unattainable in its gen form was a mind blowing experience. I've always had gens and I always will but I will also always be interested in this hobby. I've learned more in the past 3 years then I ever did in 12 years without this forum. Imagine how much more a car restorer (weather he uses some aftermarker parts or not) knows about a given car that he worked on compared to the guy who bought it from him..

That fuchsia insert came with the kit, I prefer all black but I really like this one too.

• Like 3

Please let me know if you decide to let that tropical go. I'll sell mine and make you an offer.

And that Tropic-38 needs to live in Alaska too. Let me know if you want to let it go. :tu:

I've had more requests for that dial then you could imagine!

Not my precious 38! That's one of the things that I'm really looking forward to, I love the non cyclops look :)

I hear ya mate, you can almost turn a "date" watch into a no-date too, using the right dome.  I did that with my first Snowflake, I built the date version and used a tropic 19.  The end result looked like a no-date until you looked closely.

I don't know if I told you the story about my tropical gilt dial.  I bought my 1675 years ago for a song because the owner thought it had a fake dial.  It turned out to be a very rare matte "radial" dial.  So a couple years ago the AD called and said he had a tropical gilt dial for me, gratis.  I just needed to give him some sort of 1675 dial to turn in to the factory instead of the gilt.  So $50 later I had a tropical gilt 1675 and my lovely, precious radial dial was on its way to the crusher.  Man I wish I had a couple days to make that decision when he called, I could have picked up a garden variety dial here cheap, and kept both flavors.

Final offer...  Ken's Left Nut for that tropic 38.  You know I'm desperate when I "go there".

kens_left_nut.jpg

Great thread.  Beautiful GMT's gents.  Learned something new on the t-38 plexi.  I have seem them on gen watches, but assumed the owner changed them out.  Did not know they came stock on the early models.  Not much of a cyclops fan, so may need to change me search and look for an earlier version.  I have been shopping for a gen 1966 1675 for some time, just have not ran across the perfect one.  1966 was kind of a cool period for the GMT as they were phasing out the gilt dials and small GMT hand, so you see both gilt and matte dials and both gmt hands from that era.  I like both so not ruling out either, just hoping the "one" appears at some point.  

I hear ya mate, you can almost turn a "date" watch into a no-date too, using the right dome. I did that with my first Snowflake, I built the date version and used a tropic 19. The end result looked like a no-date until you looked closely.

I don't know if I told you the story about my tropical gilt dial. I bought my 1675 years ago for a song because the owner thought it had a fake dial. It turned out to be a very rare matte "radial" dial. So a couple years ago the AD called and said he had a tropical gilt dial for me, gratis. I just needed to give him some sort of 1675 dial to turn in to the factory instead of the gilt. So $50 later I had a tropical gilt 1675 and my lovely, precious radial dial was on its way to the crusher. Man I wish I had a couple days to make that decision when he called, I could have picked up a garden variety dial here cheap, and kept both flavors.

Final offer... Ken's Left Nut for that tropic 38. You know I'm desperate when I "go there".

Haha, no not even for his left nut!!

I do remember that story now that you reminded me. I would be super happy if I was you because usually it's the other way around, show up with a valuable gilt dial and pay to have rolex destroy it and swap with a more modern less valuable version. I'd say you did rather well!!

You would be surprised, I've had gens for 15 years now. I can't speak for others but I like both. Actually when I say both I really mean franken's and gens, I don't like reps that have no gen parts, unless it's a very well done vintage Rollie that speaks to me. I like those for my vacations.

I was so excited when I happened onto this forum a few years ago, the idea that I could build a watch that was unattainable in its gen form was a mind blowing experience. I've always had gens and I always will but I will also always be interested in this hobby. I've learned more in the past 3 years then I ever did in 12 years without this forum. Imagine how much more a car restorer (weather he uses some aftermarker parts or not) knows about a given car that he worked on compared to the guy who bought it from him..

That fuchsia insert came with the kit, I prefer all black but I really like this one too.

I feel much the same!