When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Installing a Yuki insert

Nanuq

OK, my package of 2 inserts arrived and I began the task of installing one into the bezel of the Big Gonzo.  It didn't go well, good thing I ordered two.  Here's the results of my first attempt.

Any guidelines to help me not ruin the next one as I attempt to install it?  It's a *cough* tight fit.

post-32-0-83516800-1430932431_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yep, I've got both the MQ and Phong bezel, and no matter how hard I press I cannot click the thing into place.  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

There will be suffering in Asgard!!!!!  

interesting... I actually find the phong and MQ bezels a hair too wide for gen inserts.. so my guess is that the OD of the Yuki's are slightly wide...

if you have a caliper, measure the OD..  It should be around 36.55mm.  If its 37.00+, then it will require some trimming.

Alternatively, you could slighlty bend the inside of the insert higher, so that the insert becomes more "conical".  As a result, the OD will become slightly narrower and might fit then.   If that doesnt work, fall back to Option A and trim it slightly...  you might have to trim both the OD as well as the bottom to top thickness but sliding it flat on some 800-1200 grit paper.

Rather you mod the rep insert than one of your bezels.

• Like 1

I don't know about Yuki, but gen insert on gen bezel = you need a press.

I Tried for about an hour before my thumbs went numb, then took it to a watchmaker near my work.

Oh and my sad story about presses.... lesson learned:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=409250

Oh and Dbane called me an idiot for ruining my insert....

Edited by pam007

Thanks for the suggestions gents, I tried a little pressure last night to click it in place.

Now I need a new bezel.

press.jpg

The way he installs the insert in this tutorial has always worked for me. Well, 3 times anyway. Might be worth a look. It's all in how you roll that last corner in.

http://www.vikbobil.se/bezel.html

Thanks for this, I have followed this before and never had a problem, but they were all with gen inserts. Please do not try to press down on the pip as you will destroy it! I know like a fool I destroyed a very nice one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'Nook - I think the problem you have is the combination of heat and pressure combined. Although I appreciate the press you have tried to use I'm afraid it lacks the element of heat to assist in the expansion of the bezel to facilitate the insert. Might I suggest you hop on a plane to China and give this set up a go - I think you will be pleased with the results:

post-2563-0-30419100-1431040919_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

Kime, it was ugly.  There were volcanoes and virgins, and midnight akkevit and axes and anvils.  It was horrific.

I think it will feature in the next Avengers movie.  Just between you and me.........  ;)